Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2015, 11:00 AM   #21

The 340 with the 2500 Allison does just fine we've pulled our 2012 Jeep wrangler with 2 dual sport motorcycles all over the continental divide numerous times. It slows going up the mountains but we were still faster than a lot of units and the tranny temp only reached 205º one time and that is well below what Allison considers a problem.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:02 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
From what I've been told Phil, our units do indeed have a 19500 RA. Forest River purposely de-rates (on paper) to be able state 2K more lbs for the toad. The tranny should not "care" where the weight is located; F/A, R/A, toad.... makes no difference to the tranny so long as TOTAL of all three is under 33K lbs.

I know you've probably spent a lot more time researching this than I, so maybe the above is not correct, but the actual bill of materials for the R/A assembly on the 360 vs 340 are identical.

OBTW, a just plain FANTASTIC price for the unit. I would buy it myself RIGHT NOW, if I didn't already have a 2011. I purchase my 2011 on election day of 2012 for $125K. It had only the mileage to get it from Elkhart to Alvarado, TX (dealer) and then onto Salt Lake City. Purchased and titled, but not taken out one time.

Finally, weigh it, weigh it, WEIGH IT. The sales man will not like that, but TOUGH!! If you still have the right to back out, and it is overweight, FORCE them to "make it right" or walk away. YMMV, but that's what I would think about. If you have to upgrade the unit yourself, I suspect about $6K would be the bill. Besides extra wear and tear by being overweight, you have the potential for legal issues if you're ever envolved in an accident.

Boowho??

Boo thanks for all the info. Shouldn't they all weigh in about the same empty ? There will be some variables I guess depending on things like the fridg. and such. Don't think I can make that determination before 3 day period is up.

The wife only weighs in around 100lbs on a good day so leaving her behind will not help. Now me on the other hand may have to drop a few pounds.

What kind of upgrades are you thinking in your last paragraph that would help the situation ?

Joe

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:06 AM   #23

I would agree they all will weight close. Your supplies will make the difference.

Russell.
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:11 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Boo I stand corrected. My only knowledge on the rear axle is what I was told by the manufacturer so I would say you have it correct.
Wait..... You've talked to the axle manufacturer (Meritor, I think) and you think *I* am correct??

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:17 AM   #25

Phil!! NEVER admit wrong. Shows weakness!!!

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:32 AM   #26

Joe, congrats on your purchase. Great price. I think a lot of us can relate to your buyers remorse....that's a big purchase. I have a '14 390fl-60 and love it. I've had a couple of issues with my coach (no coach doesn't), but Forest River has taken care of all of them (even out of warranty). The folks at the diesel factory are awesome! I definitely would buy again. You get a lot of value for your money. Two of your greatest assets are this forum and the advice you can get here and the annual FROG rally at Goshen. Join the Frog's (Forest River Owners Group). It's amazing at the rally! Ton's of Forest River personnel out taking care of issues with their products. Lots of them out of warranty. Welcome to the family....

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:37 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
Boo thanks for all the info. Shouldn't they all weigh in about the same empty ? There will be some variables I guess depending on things like the fridg. and such. Don't think I can make that determination before 3 day period is up.

The wife only weighs in around 100lbs on a good day so leaving her behind will not help. Now me on the other hand may have to drop a few pounds.

What kind of upgrades are you thinking in your last paragraph that would help the situation ?

Joe
Empty weight should be somewhat close; things like tile flooring (if optional) could make 200-300 lbs difference.

The front axle upgrades are bigger tires (all around) and front axle airbags. I don't remember at the moment what size tires they put on mine, but they were substantial heavier than the originals. So much so, that I worried about them rubbing on the wheel cutout. But that has not happened.

Phil57 can probably quote the size of the bigger tires.

Boowho??
Old 08-24-2015, 12:10 PM   #28

275/80r22.5

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:11 PM   #29

Boo all my research was on the front axle.
I'm wrong so often I'm used to it. 40 years of marriage will do that.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:18 PM   #30
Just Dreamin

In a number of the posts on the forum I have seen the name Randy Houser. Does anyone have an email and phone number for him? I have been to the FR website and haven't found any where on there with his contact information. Thanks, Roy
dreamin533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:27 PM   #31

Rhouser@forestriverinc.com.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:41 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post
Joe, congrats on your purchase. Great price. I think a lot of us can relate to your buyers remorse....that's a big purchase. I have a '14 390fl-60 and love it. I've had a couple of issues with my coach (no coach doesn't), but Forest River has taken care of all of them (even out of warranty). The folks at the diesel factory are awesome! I definitely would buy again. You get a lot of value for your money. Two of your greatest assets are this forum and the advice you can get here and the annual FROG rally at Goshen. Join the Frog's (Forest River Owners Group). It's amazing at the rally! Ton's of Forest River personnel out taking care of issues with their products. Lots of them out of warranty. Welcome to the family....

Rich
Thanks ! So what time of year do they hold this FROG rally ? What state is the Goshen you speak of located ? I doubt it's Goshen, Ct. would be nice though. Do you have a link for the FRO group ?

Joe

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:49 PM   #33

Joe the rally is in Goshen Ind and it is held at the Elkheart County Fairgrounds next August. They had around 700 units last year and it's a great time. Just google Forest River Owners Group and you will get it.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:50 PM   #34

http://forestriverfrog.com/

Old 08-24-2015, 12:50 PM   #35

August 14-20 2016

Old 08-24-2015, 12:52 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Boo all my research was on the front axle.
I'm wrong so often I'm used to it. 40 years of marriage will do that.
I've got the big 50 come Sept 4th. Still going strong, though.

Funny part is that in the early years, I definitely wore the pants..... Today the tables are turned and I pretty just say "How much and what color"

Boowho??
Old 08-24-2015, 01:05 PM   #37

2012 Berkshire forrest river 39RB

joe,
I purchased mine 2 years ago and really like it.
It was a great starter motor home. we put 5000 miles on it this summer.
some issues always pop up and were easy to deal with.
My next unit might be a Tiffin, but that is a year away.
The freight liner chassis and dealers were very good when I had a air bag
issue.
Good luck Den
denniswinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:15 PM   #38
Retired IT Manager (NERD)

Purchased mine new March of this year now has 5000 miles. love it
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:26 PM   #39

Funny part is that in the early years, I definitely wore the pants..... Today the tables are turned and I pretty just say "How much and what color"

Boowho??[/QUOTE]

Hey Boo, at least you still have pants

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:48 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamin533 View Post
In a number of the posts on the forum I have seen the name Randy Houser. Does anyone have an email and phone number for him? I have been to the FR website and haven't found any where on there with his contact information. Thanks, Roy
Randy is the contact for the Berkshire class A motorhome. If you have something else you need to contact that divisions contact.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire