Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2015, 12:32 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I totally agree with Boo. Go full time get rid of everything. We Sold the house and had almost no time to get rid of stuff so we are storing some stuff until we can get rid of it.

X2, everything we have is in the coach.

Paul
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:00 PM   #62

Yep, it shows COMMITMENT!! If you save stuff back, it shows "wishy washy"!!

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:57 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Yep, it shows COMMITMENT!! If you save stuff back, it shows "wishy washy"!!

Boowho??

Haha ! I like that, problem is not quite ready to full time yet. Unless I win the Power Ball or find a suitcase full of cash on the side of the road, then it'll be game on.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:38 PM   #64

There is nothing like a wildfire taking everything you own for a cleansing! We lived full time for 2 1/2 years in our Berkshire so we had very little.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:05 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
There is nothing like a wildfire taking everything you own for a cleansing! We lived full time for 2 1/2 years in our Berkshire so we had very little.

Sorry to hear that. Are you still full timing in the Berkshire ?

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 08-25-2015, 06:13 PM   #66

We currently have vacation house in Sage California but yes and are getting ready to hit the road again full time. The wildfire came at a good time if there is such a thing we were ready to retire so we did and bought the Berkshire and traveled.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:50 AM   #67

We have a 2012 390BH60. Although we had recurring problems with the step, water heater and creeping slide ... all issues are now rectified.

This is our third class A. Although the workmanship on the Berk is not as good as in our Triple E or Fleetwood Discovery, the Berk provides great value for the money. I'm sure you will.be happy with your choice.

We are very glad to have the 360. As mentioned in previous posts weigh can be an issue even with the 360. Although I never travel with any water in tanks, I am still very often close to max weight and weight distribution is often a factor.

On of the huge selling features of the Berk is the large basement storage capacity. This however can be a mixed blessing. Take my advice, get in the habit of doing frequent purges of all storage compartments and weigh the unit at the start of each trip.

With a full load, towing a 5000lb toad at 70mph we get about 10.5mpg
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:01 AM   #68

2014 390rb

My vote after 2 years and about 18,000 miles--Love it and NO regrets at all!
Good luck and welcome to the Forum!
osu65bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:12 AM   #69

We've a 2011 390RB-40. Ref your question about mileage, we get 10.75mpg towing a CRV on a Roadmaster tow dolly. We've two relatively minor complaints: cheap, easily-damaged veneer cabinetry and poor lighting (no real thought when the OEM light fixtures were installed). Some of the places for adding fluids were also thoughtlessly located i.e., the DEF tank is on the wrong side for bulk pumping, some others). It's pretty clear that the designers never used the finished product. Otherwise, we're pretty happy with it. While we don't full-time, we travel in it from mid-April through the end of October. Oh, we're none too happy with the Girard instant water heater.
helferdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:35 AM   #70

Even though my 2012 390-40 BH has had it share of problems, I love it and now have 36,000 miles on it. FR Customer Service has been great. I would again pick a Berkshire over other brands, but probably a -60. As I mentioned earlier, the -40 has weight carrying issues and a limited tranny.
Hank
Old 08-26-2015, 02:59 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by helferdm View Post
Oh, we're none too happy with the Girard instant water heater.

Care to elaborate about the instant hot water heater?

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 08-26-2015, 03:27 PM   #72

After hearing lots of reviews from Berkshire owners I think I might now know why this coach was traded in with 4000 miles on it. Seems like everyone likes their Berkshire, seems to get good mileage, but all the little problems ( I know , You'll have those in all makes, even the high end coaches ) the big one seems to be the weight issue. Wish I would have picked up on that before my 3 day rescission period expired

Really though I'd say a great percentage or trucks run over weight at some time or another. Over time I guess I can make some upgrades that may help. I could be totally wrong but find it hard to believe that running 2-3 thousand pounds over on these type of vehicles will harm the transmission. I know keeping the tires in top notch condition is very important, along with keeping it at a reasonable speed of 60-65 mph.

So with out getting to beat up , whats the main issue ? Tickets for over weight ( do you have to usually get into the weight stations or do they not bother motor homes ) ? I realize safety is safety, but will a couple thousand lbs. really make a big difference.

Now I know that I'm green when it comes to motor homes, but my experience in home construction / excavation has had me driving tri-axles, and construction equipment for 40+ years.

Just want to hear why the weight factor is so critical. I'm not talking grossly over weight, say 2 - 3 K lbs. if necessary. Be nice !
One other question. Where do you all get your coaches weighed ?

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 08-26-2015, 03:33 PM   #73

Never heard of anyone being weighed by the weight police?? No requirement to go thru the weigh stations. You should be good to go.

Russell.
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:19 PM   #74

Joe my friend you have nothing to worry about. It's a huge purchase and you are getting worried. Understandable but it will be fine. The water heater is worth the little issues. I can take an hour shower if I choose. It's all a learning curve. A MH is not like a house as you know. You will learn about it and it will be great. You got a steel so enjoy it. One of the best conversation I have heard on MH was so simple. It went like this. A friend bought a used Newmar and it was the same as guy has in our FMCA group. He asked the new guy if he had had any issues with it and the new guy says no none at all. The older gentleman says well you will just roll with it.
I have to remind him of that every once in awhile. Heck I need to remember that myself. Have fun and roll with it. Everything is fixable and I promise FR will stand behind you 100%.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:23 PM   #75

Hope the wife doesn't see the hour shower statement. Thanks Phil .

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 08-26-2015, 05:13 PM   #76

Joe, don't worry about the weight issue, you will be fine. And if you need to get the upgraded front axle and air bags I believe that is a free service. FR foots the bill to change it out.

And don't be shy about asking questions. You actually ask some great questions as a newbie to MHing.

Tags
berkshire