Old 08-26-2015, 03:59 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by helferdm View Post
Oh, we're none too happy with the Girard instant water heater.

Care to elaborate about the instant hot water heater?

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:27 PM   #72

After hearing lots of reviews from Berkshire owners I think I might now know why this coach was traded in with 4000 miles on it. Seems like everyone likes their Berkshire, seems to get good mileage, but all the little problems ( I know , You'll have those in all makes, even the high end coaches ) the big one seems to be the weight issue. Wish I would have picked up on that before my 3 day rescission period expired

Really though I'd say a great percentage or trucks run over weight at some time or another. Over time I guess I can make some upgrades that may help. I could be totally wrong but find it hard to believe that running 2-3 thousand pounds over on these type of vehicles will harm the transmission. I know keeping the tires in top notch condition is very important, along with keeping it at a reasonable speed of 60-65 mph.

So with out getting to beat up , whats the main issue ? Tickets for over weight ( do you have to usually get into the weight stations or do they not bother motor homes ) ? I realize safety is safety, but will a couple thousand lbs. really make a big difference.

Now I know that I'm green when it comes to motor homes, but my experience in home construction / excavation has had me driving tri-axles, and construction equipment for 40+ years.

Just want to hear why the weight factor is so critical. I'm not talking grossly over weight, say 2 - 3 K lbs. if necessary. Be nice !
One other question. Where do you all get your coaches weighed ?

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 08-26-2015, 04:33 PM   #73

Never heard of anyone being weighed by the weight police?? No requirement to go thru the weigh stations. You should be good to go.

Russell.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:19 PM   #74

Joe my friend you have nothing to worry about. It's a huge purchase and you are getting worried. Understandable but it will be fine. The water heater is worth the little issues. I can take an hour shower if I choose. It's all a learning curve. A MH is not like a house as you know. You will learn about it and it will be great. You got a steel so enjoy it. One of the best conversation I have heard on MH was so simple. It went like this. A friend bought a used Newmar and it was the same as guy has in our FMCA group. He asked the new guy if he had had any issues with it and the new guy says no none at all. The older gentleman says well you will just roll with it.
I have to remind him of that every once in awhile. Heck I need to remember that myself. Have fun and roll with it. Everything is fixable and I promise FR will stand behind you 100%.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:23 PM   #75

Hope the wife doesn't see the hour shower statement. Thanks Phil .

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 08-26-2015, 06:13 PM   #76

Joe, don't worry about the weight issue, you will be fine. And if you need to get the upgraded front axle and air bags I believe that is a free service. FR foots the bill to change it out.

And don't be shy about asking questions. You actually ask some great questions as a newbie to MHing.

Tags
berkshire