Old 09-06-2019, 03:57 PM   #1

Berkshire AC Help

I live in Texas. I own a 2018 Forest River Berkshire 39A diesel motor home. Iím having trouble with both front and back ac units freezing up when traveling. I had trouble with back air vents right after I purchased it in September 2018. A blockage was found and supposedly taken care of. I have taken several trips in March, June and August 2019 and both AC units are freezing up. This happens in high and low altitudes. Iíve had the AC units checked by professionals but of course they donít freeze up at that time. I just returned from a trip to New Mexico and they again froze up. The temps on the units when we got back into Texas was rear 91 and front 89. I have an appointment with camping world September 12 to again try to resolve.

Has anyone experienced this problem and can provide any guidance. Iím hot and frustrated. Thank you

EaglesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:54 PM   #2

Are you sure they are freezing up ? I have the same coach, 2018 39a. Several times the rear AC show on the touch display to be running but hot air is coming out. After checking the Amp meter saw that these wasnít enough current being pulled for the compressor to be on, even though the AC controls said it was on.
The power management system had turned off the back compressor for some unknown reason. After several trips to repair shop where problem could not be duplicated, the fix was to reboot the display panel. You have to kill all dc power
With master sw by the front door steps. Let it reboot, then see if you still have the problem. Next time it happens, check the Amp meters to see if both read at least 14 amps, with both systems on. Hope this helps.

rdonihoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:02 PM   #3

For what it's worth: Precision Plex 630-515-9100 Sorry I can't give you more help.
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:12 PM   #4
Dragonship Captain

Someone mentioned that there's a frost sensor that needs to be on the evaporator coil so it can do it's defrost thing (that straining noise you hear once in a while)...... The factory has been known to not install them properly. Clips right on to the coil... Don't have a pic.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
Someone mentioned that there's a frost sensor that needs to be on the evaporator coil so it can do it's defrost thing (that straining noise you hear once in a while)...... The factory has been known to not install them properly. Clips right on to the coil... Don't have a pic.
Here is the picClick image for larger version

Name:	20190621_122514.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	214424
doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:48 PM   #6
Dragonship Captain

There you go! Thank you.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:32 AM   #7

AC System Suggestions

AC's & Freeze Sensors--

1 way you can keep the AC's from freezing until you can get the unit into a service center is to reduce the requested delta of the AC system.
TRY THIS!!
If your outside temp is 110 degrees, set the thermostat to 100. when the interior temp reaches 99 & your AC's cycle off, turn the thermostat down to 90, continue this progression until you get to your desired temp. By bringing the temp inside the unit down slowly, you give the inside a chance to "soak" the cold air, & gives the AC's a change to defrost between cycles.
The 2018 Berkshire 39A is equipped w/(2) 15k Dometic Penguin AC units, with the Frt unit a AC w/Heat Pump. Because of Dometics puck sensor limitations, Dometic by design doesn't use a Freeze sensor on their AC w/Heat Pump units. Under normal operation (Indiana Spring where Dometic is located), it's not a concern. However when the unit is in service in the Texas sun trying to reach a 40 degree delta, it'll freeze up the evaporator every time. To solve this the folks @ Berkshire added a tube style freeze sensor to keep front AC from freezing under extreme use. Unfortunately, I believe there was a small batch of early 2018 units that never had the tube style sensor installed.

rdonihoo brings up a valid point, when the unit 120V exceeds the supply amperage, the Energy Management System will turn off loads incrementally until the system is self sufficient again. Although the touchscreen displays "AC Running", the loads may be in fact be shed by the EMS.
To find out if your EMS is turning off the function, from the Home page on your hallway touchscreen, go to the Generator tab, then Power Control System, then Loads. If a function is turned off by the EMS it will display "Shed" next to the name of the function.
The loads are turned off in the following order Block heater/Rear AC Comp/Frt AC Comp/Rear AC Fan/Frt AC Fan.
If you are shedding the loads while on shore power, I would suggest you double check to ensure your pedestal has 50A Service available.
To find out, from the Home page on your hallway touchscreen, go to the Generator tab, then Power Control System, Line. This page displays the shore line voltage supplied to the coach. If you start the generator, after approx. 60 seconds, you will see an updated display based on Generator Voltage/Amperage (66A/120V)

1 more item, when you have your unit in for service @ Camping World, you may want to ask them to look into TSB#40-0538. This TSB corrects a concern on early 2018 units where the Multiplex program didn't recognize the Generator status. Sometimes units tripped 120V breakers when the the Multiplex didn't correctly shed loads under Generator power.

Hope this helps cool off the Texas heat.
red0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by red0801 View Post
AC's & Freeze Sensors--

1 way you can keep the AC's from freezing until you can get the unit into a service center is to reduce the requested delta of the AC system.
TRY THIS!!
If your outside temp is 110 degrees, set the thermostat to 100. when the interior temp reaches 99 & your AC's cycle off, turn the thermostat down to 90, continue this progression until you get to your desired temp. By bringing the temp inside the unit down slowly, you give the inside a chance to "soak" the cold air, & gives the AC's a change to defrost between cycles.
The 2018 Berkshire 39A is equipped w/(2) 15k Dometic Penguin AC units, with the Frt unit a AC w/Heat Pump. Because of Dometics puck sensor limitations, Dometic by design doesn't use a Freeze sensor on their AC w/Heat Pump units. Under normal operation (Indiana Spring where Dometic is located), it's not a concern. However when the unit is in service in the Texas sun trying to reach a 40 degree delta, it'll freeze up the evaporator every time. To solve this the folks @ Berkshire added a tube style freeze sensor to keep front AC from freezing under extreme use. Unfortunately, I believe there was a small batch of early 2018 units that never had the tube style sensor installed.

rdonihoo brings up a valid point, when the unit 120V exceeds the supply amperage, the Energy Management System will turn off loads incrementally until the system is self sufficient again. Although the touchscreen displays "AC Running", the loads may be in fact be shed by the EMS.
To find out if your EMS is turning off the function, from the Home page on your hallway touchscreen, go to the Generator tab, then Power Control System, then Loads. If a function is turned off by the EMS it will display "Shed" next to the name of the function.
The loads are turned off in the following order Block heater/Rear AC Comp/Frt AC Comp/Rear AC Fan/Frt AC Fan.
If you are shedding the loads while on shore power, I would suggest you double check to ensure your pedestal has 50A Service available.
To find out, from the Home page on your hallway touchscreen, go to the Generator tab, then Power Control System, Line. This page displays the shore line voltage supplied to the coach. If you start the generator, after approx. 60 seconds, you will see an updated display based on Generator Voltage/Amperage (66A/120V)

1 more item, when you have your unit in for service @ Camping World, you may want to ask them to look into TSB#40-0538. This TSB corrects a concern on early 2018 units where the Multiplex program didn't recognize the Generator status. Sometimes units tripped 120V breakers when the the Multiplex didn't correctly shed loads under Generator power.

Hope this helps cool off the Texas heat.

Red0801 thank you, great advice. Since first responding to this post, I too is having ac freezing on my bedroom unit.
Unlike before, when my panel showed the power management to be shedding the rear ac, now itís classic
Ac freezing symptoms. Ac running, little or no air coming from vents. The advice about bringing the temp down slowly in increments is good advice, although a little
Ruff in Texas and AZ when outside is 100+ and inside shows 85. Understanding itís really a limitation of the technology and equipment, I wish these coaches were
Built in Texas rather than Elkhart maybe the designers would better understand the problem. 🧐
Again, thanks for the very good advice.

rdonihoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire