Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2014, 09:43 AM   #1

Berkshire AC Question

Over the years there have been threads discussing the Berkshire AC systems and their lack of cooling. Has anyone thought of or added a muffin fan at the vents of the AC cover to assist in pulling the hot air away from the cooling coils and out from the cover? Might this help the AC system in the same way it helps a frig work more efficiently.

Anyone have any thoughts regarding this?
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:59 PM   #2

Forest River does not manufacture the A/C units. You will hear chatter from every manufacture there is on this subject they all use the same a/c and building techniques. There are a few things you can do to help. Look into a full exterior solar windshield cover and a driver side. I paid extra and love our Magne shade. Your front windshield is like a radiant oven. Take blankets and pillows and stuff and store them in your front header cabinets. Look for shade trees as much as you can in the summer months. Running fans and keeping doors closed and shades closed will help. We like it freezing cold at night and I think it helps cool the coach down for the day. Let us know if you find something new that works good. Good luck..
RodneyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:19 PM   #3

RodneyD

I agree with your comments. In the spring of 2012 I lined my AC and MAXXAIR covers with reflectix, purchased a external windshield screen, and put exterior window awnings on my coach. For the first time since I owned the coach the AC now cycles off and does not run continuously. The changes made a world of difference.

I was just thinking if I were to help pull the hot air out from under the AC cover I might see more improvement. I think Dometic may think this way also as the front AC cover has more vent holes than the back yet they are the same size. Maybe it is to vent more hot air out of the harder working AC.

As outspoken as most people on this forum are I am surprised I have not gotten any comments of either that is a stupid ID with a long reason why or that sounds interesting and might work.

I also thought someone might have tried it.

You never know.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
RodneyD

In the spring of 2012 I lined my AC and MAXXAIR covers with reflectix, .
Did you post about this on another forum?
I recall someone posting and showing pictures when it was done a year or so ago.

I had thought about doing it also. That was before I sold that one and got the Berkshire.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:23 PM   #5

I special ordered my 2014 390BH with two 15K heat pumps and with my windshield cover on and outside temp in the 90's I still maintain 70 inside all day. I keep my temp set at 68 and usually by sunset it is back to 68. When we go to bed I set out bedroom temp to 62 and within an hour of Turning it down it is 62 back there.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #6

Awnings , windshield covers and slide window covers make all the difference. I'm sure that the 15 AC do help but keeping the sun out is key. The inside sun shade is not the answer. You need to stop the sun heat before it gets inside.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #7

Silver, time for a invention or a idea for RV a/c makers. Many years ago the Ford aerostar van had a terrible air flow problem. The A/C head pressure would sore and the a/c would quit cooling and the overall vehicle temp would climb. We would put a auxiliary 12v fan in front of the condenser and hooked it up to a toggle switch for hot days. The head pressure would drop 100 pounds and cool like a champ after turning on the fan. So your idea is worth exploring. I enjoy hearing other peoples tricks for the summer heat, Lets face it sitting out in the middle of the hot summer sun is just plan hot.
RodneyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:42 PM   #8

Muffin Fan

Yes. I plan to get up on the coach and see how the air flow out of the cover is. If low, I was thinking a 120 volt muffin fan Connected to the same power as the main AC Fan placed in front of the cover vents. Then when the AC runs the Muffin fan will also run. My thought is if the hot air is not being pulled out of the cover it will not cool well. As I have said I noticed the front AC has more vents than the back AC on my coach and a buddy's Berkshire yet the ACs are the same model. Must be more vents for a reason.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
RodneyD

As outspoken as most people on this forum are I am surprised I have not gotten any comments of either that is a stupid ID with a long reason why or that sounds interesting and might work.

I also thought someone might have tried it.

You never know.
OK, here's my "outspokenness". Everything mentioned so far is great. I use reflectix on the inside of the windshiled; it's much cheaper than a custom made exterior windshield cover and works just as well.

I'm not sure about putting reflectix under the hoods, since the sun would not be hitting the reflectix directly. But it may help, I guess.

The dumbest thing of all is why they make the hoods in BLACK!!! How stupid is that?? I mean, they are not THAT obvious from the ground and would it hurt to be a tiny bit UN-color coordinated?

In fact, I'd like to replace mine with white ones and while I'm at it, put some sort of water spraying mechanism up there to keep the fins wet and cool(er). This idea is similar to your muffin fans and may (or may not) be a viable option. Only way to know for sure is for someone to try it.

Obviously, folks that do try something different like this, at worst wind up looking a little "bammy" and at best become multi-millionaires.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #10

I thought my AC could keep up over the 4th until my DW decided to boil water at 1pm. Playing catchup all afternoon after that.

CT Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:35 PM   #11

Boohoo I agree with the reflex foil stuff but I like to see outside.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:55 PM   #12

Phil,
That seeing outside stuff is overrated!! (LOL!!). We like to look out also but rather have a cooler coach in hot weather.

Boo,
I was just saying the same thing to my son the other day. I don't know why the covers are black. Seems counterproductive to me.

Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:09 PM   #13

Has anyone seen the penguin 2 covers. They have air holes around the entire cover. What's the thought on this? Seems like that would be an improvement for airflow on the coils. More air on coil should equal better performance. Any thoughts? Anyone change there's out? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1405292944.594609.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	58111

klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:13 PM   #14

That's what came on my 2014 390BH

Jason

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2014 Berkshire 390BH
2011 cadillac SRX
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:08 PM   #15

That's what's on my 2013 except it's black.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 07-13-2014, 10:10 PM   #16

I have a 2012 and the cover is solid on three sides. Only one side has holes/ vents. Wonder if I change the covers will they perform better.

klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:15 AM   #17

Klucas, maybe look into just drilling some holes in the one you have, if it's possible.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 07-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #18

I'm not a engineer but the side that has the holes is also the side that has the cooling fins. The bottom is open all around the A/C cover so it seems like the air would flow through the cooling coil better with the holes on that side only.

Tags
berkshire