Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2017, 04:07 PM   #1

Berkshire Air Brake Tests

I am currently studying for the Ontario air brake test and reading through the various test am was wondering how you Berkshire owners are performing some of the test. I am OK with testing low air pressure warnings, air build up time, governor settings, air loss rate, spring brakes etc. Is it easy to test the air tank drains?

There is also the air brake adjustment inspection, there seems little room to get under the coach so how are you checking/measuring the applied pushrod stroke. I understand Berkshires have automatic slack adjusters but the requirements dictate inspection must be carried out whether automatic or manual slack adjusters are used.
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:10 PM   #2

When I was reading for the Manitoba test, they stated that on low slung vehicles ( busses, Rv)
You didn't have to crawl under.
But had to explain the process
Old 03-07-2017, 04:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
When I was reading for the Manitoba test, they stated that on low slung vehicles ( busses, Rv)
You didn't have to crawl under.
But had to explain the process
Thanks Ken - I just noticed further on in the air brake book that 'means of marking the pushrod and device for measuring the pushrod stroke' does not apply to motor coaches.

I get that the examiner would want to know the process
Old 03-07-2017, 04:45 PM   #4

Royston,

In Alberta, we are required to take a one-day air brake course by a certified instructor who has equipment to test us on. We checked the pressure gauges, etc on a Kenworth semi. Fortunately, we only had to crawl under the rear of the trailer to check the slack. Even my wife did it.

The instruction was by a training company that teaches truck drivers as well. For the practical test, they grouped my wife and myself in with another guy and the fellow who appeared to be the owner of the training service. He had a big RV, so the training business must be pretty good!

BTW, I have crawled under my Berk to check the slack and there is no slack. Way closer adjustment than the semi trailer.

–Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:46 PM   #5

Same here in the USA. Since the CDL is geared to OTR Trucking (with all their exposed air lines), US examiners I have talked to only want you to point out the location and operation.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonsick View Post
Royston,

In Alberta, we are required to take a one-day air brake course by a certified instructor who has equipment to test us on. We checked the pressure gauges, etc on a Kenworth semi. Fortunately, we only had to crawl under the rear of the trailer to check the slack. Even my wife did it.

The instruction was by a training company that teaches truck drivers as well. For the practical test, they grouped my wife and myself in with another guy and the fellow who appeared to be the owner of the training service. He had a big RV, so the training business must be pretty good!

BTW, I have crawled under my Berk to check the slack and there is no slack. Way closer adjustment than the semi trailer.

–Gordon
Hi Gordon,

I am doing a 2 day air brake training course run by Ontario truck Driving School, they do the air brake test on the second day and then there is another 4.5 hour training in the truck + 1.5 hour for the road test. I opted to do the test in a straight truck. Other alternative was a bus and that would be a C license and I did not want to go that way.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:26 PM   #7

DZ License

OK so I passed the 'Z' air brake test and yesterday passed the D truck driver test so now have DZ license so will be good to go once we get the OK to go pick up the new to us 2011 Berkshire in the next few days
Old 04-12-2017, 12:50 PM   #8

Congratulations!! Let us know when you are scheduled to pick up your new Coach!
Old 04-12-2017, 12:54 PM   #9

Thanks Bob!

We were scheduled to pick up tomorrow Apr 13 but it has been pushed back a couple of days so not sure of the exact day now as this weekend is the Easter Holidays.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:58 PM   #10

OK so pick up is now April 27, holiday weekend + I have a few commitments pushed it back.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:37 AM   #11

10 days and counting Royston!!
Old 05-18-2017, 03:02 PM   #12

I just sucessfully completed my Z endorsement at Ontario Truck Training. I haven't been able to find info on the orientation of the air tanks (wet, primary service, secondary service) in any manuals. 2011 Berkshire 390 QS. I have two drain tethers on the passenger side and one on the drivers.
Sawmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:56 PM   #13

Congratulations on the Z endorsement Sawmill !! I did mine a month or so ago then did my D license as the 390RB is heavier than my G license allows.

I would like to know the orientation of the air tanks too, I know there are two tethers on the passenger side. I would think if you checked your gauges then released some air from one tank then rechecked gauges and a drop in pressure would indicate which tank?
Old 06-07-2017, 04:39 PM   #14

Has anyone taken the test in Pa.
Terrilegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:55 AM   #15
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawmill View Post
I just sucessfully completed my Z endorsement at Ontario Truck Training. I haven't been able to find info on the orientation of the air tanks (wet, primary service, secondary service) in any manuals. 2011 Berkshire 390 QS. I have two drain tethers on the passenger side and one on the drivers.
I just finished "Camp Freightliner" 1 and was given a book with a lot of good pictures.... Also, with DTNA access there's a lot of good pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 11.56.53 AM.png
Views:	106
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	140538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 12.08.40 PM.png
Views:	107
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	140543  
Old 06-08-2017, 11:03 AM   #16
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrilegacy View Post
Has anyone taken the test in Pa.
Yes. I got a CDL in PA.

There are two parts to a test in PA, no matter what class. The knowledge test which is given at your local DMV (on a computer, just walk in) and a driving test which is scheduled.

Technically you only need a non commercial Class B and not a CDL which is a whole different ball of wax. I believe you can schedule a test, have someone with proper license drive you there and take it in your own Moho. Verify this with your local DMV office.

There is no specific manual for the non commercial knowledge test, I suspect it will be the Commercial Drivers Manual, you can pick up a paper copy at your local DMV OR:.......

https://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/D.../PUB%20223.pdf

I took the CDL at a driving school (Within the last 5 years) The brake test, in the cab, was the main focus, as well as the exterior inspection to include water drains. I do not recall crawling under the thing to check slack adjusters.

Tags
berkshire