Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2015, 01:20 PM   #1

Berkshire air mattress woes...

The original queen size mattress that came with my 390QS sprang leaks a couple of years ago and after trying in vain to find them all, I gave up and bought a Coleman replacement mattress.

I went to use it the other night and gave up, after finding and patching 4 holes and it still leaked!! It would appear that the cotter pins installed on the folding area of the couch pinch the mattress.

I noticed in my son's new 5th wheel, his couch comes with built in memory foam.

Has anyone out there tried replacing the factory mattress with a different option???

Sent from my iPhone 'cause I'm probably out in the RV!
DJP6371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:46 PM   #2

I replaced the whole sofa and put in two recliners. We have a cot and a blow up mattress for guests to sleep on. We don't want them getting to comfortable or they stay to long.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:54 PM   #3

Since the mattress folds into the couch, I am assuming that your unit is pre-2011.

Unlike our mattress in the 2012 390BH that has an odd shaped mattress, I think that yours has a consistent thickness from head to toe. Assuming that you can find the proper length and width, could you not just use any standard bed-in-a-bag. Air mattress with electric pump? The price of these is less than $100

Tim
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I replaced the whole sofa and put in two recliners. We have a cot and a blow up mattress for guests to sleep on. We don't want them getting to comfortable or they stay to long.
Just as an aside..... Making changes as you've done Phil, can make the coach VERY difficult to sell on down the road, unless you put everything back as it was.

Don't know why that would be, but it happened to me and the guy that took it on consignment warned me ahead of time. He was right; it was the first objection raised by almost every "lookyloo".

Just sayin'

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:25 PM   #5

We were warned about that also. Not having a bed is a issue for most but it's just us 99%of the time. We also had the changes done by a professional company so that might help. The biggest draw back or benefit depending on your view point is we love the layout nothing we look at at any price gives us the room and function we have so we keep the old Berk.

Old 08-30-2015, 06:21 PM   #6

I put an aerobed in my unit. It is a very thick plastic. The mattress comes with a cloth cover and we put a blanket between the springs and mattress. We have gotten two years of use from the aerobed at about $50 on eBay.
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:05 PM   #7

I have had issues with the sleeper sofa every since the purchase of our Sandpiper. I have tried to sleep on it too but cannot. I cannot get it adjusted for the air mattress. I have had 2 campers that I have changed the furniture but I always put the original in the basement and change it back to trade the unit
cotton65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:08 PM   #8

My dealer always has furniture setting around that they have taken out of coaches. So my thought is that lots of us do this.

I took my couch out & put in a double recliner couch.

I figure if someone (grandkids) go with us ill just get an air mattress and put it on the LR floor.

I generally trade mine in and the dealer hardly looks at them ??? So I figure they really care less what furniture is in there

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:48 PM   #9

I'm seriously thinking about swapping my sectional sofa out for the dual recliner with built in console that I saw on camping world.com.
Mine isn't a sleeper sofa right now so it's not like I'm losing sleeping space.

Has anyone done this thru CW?

2012 Forest River Berkshire 390FL
2013 Hyundai Veloster
jegstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegstrup View Post
I'm seriously thinking about swapping my sectional sofa out for the dual recliner with built in console that I saw on camping world.com.
Mine isn't a sleeper sofa right now so it's not like I'm losing sleeping space.

Has anyone done this thru CW?

2012 Forest River Berkshire 390FL
2013 Hyundai Veloster

I haven't but we did make changes in the furniture. I highly recommend the change. There was a very good thread not to long ago that had some great ideas on just what you want to do. I'll try to find it and post the link. The changes we made gave us so much better use of the space and is way more comfortable.
We went through Brad and Hall in Elkhart Ind. a great place and the workmanship is excellent.
The sofa was fairly simple to remove but it's a lot of pieces. We also replaced the booth dinette and I did the removal my self. I had the carpet replaced while the slide was empty.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I haven't but we did make changes in the furniture. I highly recommend the change. There was a very good thread not to long ago that had some great ideas on just what you want to do. I'll try to find it and post the link. The changes we made gave us so much better use of the space and is way more comfortable.
We went through Brad and Hall in Elkhart Ind. a great place and the workmanship is excellent.
The sofa was fairly simple to remove but it's a lot of pieces. We also replaced the booth dinette and I did the removal my self. I had the carpet replaced while the slide was empty.
Phil do you have any photo's of the changes you did with the furniture ?

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:31 PM   #12

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ad.php?t=58944

Pictures at post 56 I think.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:31 AM   #13

Nice job. Hate the fact that you can't make comments on older threads.
Not sure how long the couch will last in ours. It looks uncomfortable. Like the idea of the double recliners.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:35 AM   #14

Mine looks very similar to Phils. Mine are recliners--Phils might be a couch ?? I had Lambrights in Shipshewana (Amish) make mine. They also installed it. I took my other couch out. Which is rather easy. Comes apart into smaller pieces

RussellClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1441794950.008080.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	88178
Old 09-10-2015, 06:00 PM   #15

Russell - Are both seats recliners and what did you do with the heater vent? - Hank
Old 09-10-2015, 06:25 PM   #16

Yes both are power recliners. If you look closely on the right side there is a 8" end cabinet. I'm adding 5" to the bottom of the cabinets and running the vent under the cabinets.

So a 4" heat run on each end of couch. Under the cabinets.

I'm in the field now so it be a bit before I get that done. I try an attach a pic. So that heat run you see will be under the cabinet on each end of couch.

RussellClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1441927403.465181.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	88326

Tags
air mattress, berkshire