Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #1

Berkshire and Charleston Recall

Has anyone been notified of a recall on the 2010 to 2012 models involving diodes on the brake lights and cruise control? It was supposedly posted in january. I have a 2012 and have not been notified. Curious about the details, risk and what specific serial numbers are subject. I read a brief notice on RV travel news. Supposedly freightliner is not handling the recall.
Thanks
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #2

I received a recall letter and it instructed me to contact Freightliner. If I were you I would contact Freightliner and ask them to check you vin # for any open recalls.

I received a recall letter back in early January. I made a service appointment with Freightliner, forgetting to tell them about the recall and they informed me that I had an open recall. No issue with my coach. The jumpers were firmly locked in place.

The mechanic told me that some coaches, mostly Fleetwoods had the issue. Apparently the plastic seal on the problem jumpers was to long and kept the connection from firmly locking in place. The fix is to trim away some of the seal, which then allows the jumper to lock into place.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #3

Recall on Berkshire

Thanks "in the right lane"
Glad to hear Freightliner addressed the issue. I am scheduled to go to Camp Freightliner in Gaffney SC mid March and have my routing maintenance done. I will be sure to have them look up the recall list to see if I am effected. Before that I do not plan to use the coach.

Thanks again for the reply.
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #4

I received the recall notice and contacted Freightliner. Set up the appointment, and took it to a Freightliner Oasis shop for their review. The tech came into the coach, got on the floor and looked under the dash by the steering wheel and checked the diodes. Within 15 minutes, he said all was well, put a recall sticker on my chassis label in the drivers side overhead, and all was done. Hardly worth the time it took to drive there and back. However, good to know all is well. Of course, all was done at no cost to me.
BrakeBuddy
hawk10eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
Director, FROG

I spoke this afternoon with Randy Houser, Manager of the diesel plant that builds both the Berkshire and the Charleston.

Randy tells me that the diode issue is a Freightliner recall, and is being handled by Freightliner dealers as a couple of posters have indicated above.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote