Old 10-22-2015, 09:01 PM   #21
tvj

So let get down to numbers I paid $200 even for my 2015 Berk XL 40BH in November 2014 with wash and dry. How's that compare.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:25 PM   #22

One statement I have never heard in regard to cars, trucks, mh, motorcycles, etc: "I wish I had less horsepower."

Old 10-22-2015, 09:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fkaske View Post
We are going to buy a Berkshire XL 40BH soon. We just have to decide if it will be a 360 HP or a 380 Hp. My advise to CalifRvLawyer is to take a look at one of those. We are trading in a 2008 Georgetown 350 DS with bunks. We never had any issues with our Georgetown, it is just time to upgrade and one of the reason we are staying with a Forest River product.
I like the idea of a couple of couple of feet shorter ..which is why I like 38A
Old 10-23-2015, 10:45 AM   #24

Mine is not for sale( anything is for sale) and we love it. We have a 2011 390RB with the 340 cummins. All the talk about needing more hp is fine if you understand the mission of the MH. I get a chuckle when I see a 40' 500hp MH pulling a 3500 lb Jeep. Why? I will admit a larger toad would be nice but not necessary for us.
We are on a trip from Mi to Florida with stops in NC and Georgia. We went through Asheville and hit a couple of grades. Never had a second thought in fact I passed a few trucks on the way up. Going down was easy just no problem. We are very heavy as we full time. Approaching 34000 lbs so it's not a light load. I travel with full water. So we don't skimp when traveling.
So would I buy another 340? I might if the deal was right. Mostly I would like the 3000 Allison transmission. It would be nice to have the diagnostics enabled to see what is going on in the transmission and the extra cargo would come in handy but then u would haul around stuff I don't need so maybe not.
Anyone thinking about a new MH should first think about what you want it to do. Then match the power train to that mission. Why have 500hp when you only need 340?
Old 10-23-2015, 10:51 AM   #25

I agree with Phil. I bought the 360 because of the Allison 3000 and the 10K capacity. We shopped around and I got a smoking deal on this one. We had to fly to Seattle, WA and drive home, but that was part of the fun.

Also: Diesel is better than gas because of the torque. Once you drive the diesel, it will be hard to go back to gas. When you drive them back to back on the same roads, it isn't a fair comparison.

Occasionally FR will do rebates to dealer and I scored another $10K off my purchase price knowing that.
baddmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:02 PM   #26

Phil is a wise man...figure out your mission and buy what you need to fit that mission. Just be sure you consider your mission today, and maybe 3-5 years from now. If you don't expect anything to change, go with what works for you now.

We tow a 4 door Jeep Wrangler, we don't full time, we take several small trips a year plus 1 or 2 big trips. We expect the frequency of big trips to increase over the years but not the loading characteristics.

We bought a Berk 340 and love it.

Weighed in before our last big trip (fully loaded for the trip) and were 200lbs under max on the front. We were under on the rear, just don't remember by how much.

The 340 fits our mission today and for the foreseeable future so we are thrilled with it. Descent price, good fuel economy, and does great on the hills even while towing.

Terry

Terry & Kim
Dallas, Texas
2015 Berkshire 38RB
2007 Jeep Wrangler JKU
Old 10-23-2015, 04:28 PM   #27
Retired IT Manager (NERD)

Love our Berk. Bought in March of this year. We got rid of a 2013 Fleetwood piece of you know what and could not be happier. I have not had much of a chance to use it because of my cancer battle (winning) but my Son has put on about 6k miles pulling his boat.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
Love our Berk. Bought in March of this year. We got rid of a 2013 Fleetwood piece of you know what and could not be happier. I have not had much of a chance to use it because of my cancer battle (winning) but my Son has put on about 6k miles pulling his boat.
Very nice looking set up. The best of luck to you on your fight and hope you get to use it a lot more often in the future.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:46 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post

The cancer thing sucks for sure. Great to hear you are beating it. Hopefully that fight is done soon and you can get back to enjoying life and the MH. Good luck and please keep us posted.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:20 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
The cancer thing sucks for sure. Great to hear you are beating it. Hopefully that fight is done soon and you can get back to enjoying life and the MH. Good luck and please keep us posted.
X2!! Keep being positive and continue beating that disease!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire, bunk, bunkhouse, diesel