Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #1

Berkshire Fire

We bought a Berkshire last october it is a 2013 390RB it was in the delivery area while loading it up with all our stuff i smelled something burning.I walked around the unit and found flames shooting out of the inverter compartment.I grabbed the fire extinguisher opened the door burning my hand and inhaling the smoke.I finally put the fire out after going through 2 extinguishers,the dealer told me to pick another unit out which we did.The Problem i have is that the rep from Forest River was there promoting there brand and never even asked me if I was ok can we help you unload all of you stuff ,or i want to thank you for your quick response putting the fire out.The reason i am writing this post now is that im still angry about Forest River not even contacting me in any way after the incident.
plootsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by plootsa View Post
We bought a Berkshire last october it is a 2013 390RB it was in the delivery area while loading it up with all our stuff i smelled something burning.I walked around the unit and found flames shooting out of the inverter compartment.I grabbed the fire extinguisher opened the door burning my hand and inhaling the smoke.I finally put the fire out after going through 2 extinguishers,the dealer told me to pick another unit out which we did.The Problem i have is that the rep from Forest River was there promoting there brand and never even asked me if I was ok can we help you unload all of you stuff ,or i want to thank you for your quick response putting the fire out.The reason i am writing this post now is that im still angry about Forest River not even contacting me in any way after the incident.
That's scary and I sympathize with you. Thankfully, those situations are uncommon. As far as the FR rep..... he should be fired for incompetence. Me, I'd write directly to Warren Buffet, but marketing types have only one thing on their mind...... Getting your $$$$$. He's a slug, IMHO.

I had a camping neighbor catch fire in a 5er on unit that was about 1 year old. Problem turned out to be flooring screws that were too long causing one of them to be directly against a 110 wire under the coach.

A year of travelling (road vibrations) caused the screw to finally rub thru all the insulation and cause a direct short. Why the CB didn't pop I don't know

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
DDC

Quote:
Their probably no happy that you put the fire out, insurance would have covered a total loss of a new unit now they have a repaired unit probably with an oder they can't get rid of.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
People respond to emergent situations in crazy ways. Add on that it was a company thing, he likely was stressed like crazy (even if appearing to act normally) and suddenly was over-obsessed about causing the company more liability by "admitting" fault and asking if you were okay.

I've dealt with a few minor emergency situations and have been to a few more trainings for first aid, wilderness first aid and those sorts of things. Not an expert by any means, of course. People are surprising- sometimes good, sometimes bad.

I'm sorry you had this happen, it may be worthwhile contacting the manufacturer directly (we aren't affiliated with Forest River in any way), explain to them where and when and that you were disappointed in the rep's lack of response. They'll likely know who it was and make a decision as to what to do, if anything.

Good luck and hope you can find closure with this. Sounds scary and also sounds like you were surprisingly in control in dealing with it.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
..... he likely was stressed like crazy (even if appearing to act normally) and suddenly was over-obsessed about causing the company more liability by "admitting" fault and asking if you were okay.
That is a heluva good thought, ependydad. I forgot about it, but when I was driving semi, I was always told by the companies I drove for, NEVER apologize if involved in an accident EVEN IF IT WAS VERY APPARENT THAT IT WAS THE OTHER DRIVERS FAULT.

Saying even "I'm sorry this happened" can possibly be construed as an admission of guilt.

Boowoo??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #6

Sounds like you stayed calm and handled to situation. Glad no one was seriously injured.

As for the rep, he is guest on the dealers property. I think it was a wise decision for him to let the dealer conduct his business as he deems necessary.

In any situation like this, no one knows what legal issues may arise and it is wise to let Forest River corp office (who I am sure has a legal staff) handle this.

Again glad it worked out and the dealer replaced your unit with a new one, that's good business.

Be safe!
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote