Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2019, 05:58 PM   #1

Berkshire owners, please share your impressions

My husband and I are researching diesel motorhomes to take us into our retirement-with-more-travel years. We currently have a Fleetwood gas motorhome that we've owned for 14 years, so it's time to upgrade.

I looked over a Berkshire 39A at a recent RV show and liked what I saw for the price point. Having bought our last motorhome new, I'm not scared off with the depreciation hit or the break in period of fixing what the factory let out the door without properly addressing. Having a good dealer was key to our making it through that period of weathering the warranty issue fixes.

I've spent hours reading the majority of the posts in this section. Lots of great information here.

For those Berkshire owners, how do you like this model? Has it held up well for you. Are there any particular issues I should be aware of?

Also, we're fairly close to Total Value RV in Indiana. Has anyone dealt with them to offer experience or advice?

TIA!
RollinInn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:47 PM   #2

We are on our second Berkshire. First was a 2012 390bh-360 and now a 2018 43B XLT. We have had great experiences with both motorhomes. Getting through the first year getting all the bugs worked out can be trying. If you have ever built a new house you go through similar experiences. The company and warranty people are great to work with. Very responsive to all our needs. Could not be happier with the overall product. I think Berkshire Motorhomes are as good as if not better than most brands on the market. You get a great bang for your buck.

Good Luck with what ever you decide to purchase.
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:31 PM   #3

We don’t have that model, but a 2016 XL 40A. We’ve gone thru a pretty minor fixit period but really pretty minor as I read the type A motorhome forum-thank goodness. Things we did have forest river diesel division treated us extremely well, even though the majority had to be done by mobile rv repair folks since the local dealers didn’t want to work on warranty items since we had bought it in another state. We’ve now at close to 19,000 miles and should be at nearly 25,000 by April as were snowbirding for real this year. There are lots of nice coaches out there, despite what some folks opinions you may see repeated on the forums, but for us the floorplan, the included amenities and equipment included indicated very good bang for the buck. From talking to lots of folks at different rv parks as we travel I believe that any coach can have more than its share of issues regardless of manufacture. Not having driven, owned, inspected, traveled in every brand out there I can’t say. But for us, we appreciate everything included in the Berkshire lines and particularly at the price points. I’m encouraged when I see folks using the heck out of theirs going back to 2008. At least for us, Berkshire was a good choice.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:49 PM   #4

We bought from Total Value. Good price and no issues
doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:24 PM   #5
Dragonship Captain

There's a link to my blog below....
Old 02-14-2019, 10:55 PM   #6

Thank you all so much. I appreciate the feedback. It's nice to know the manufacturer stands by their product. And thanks for the input on Total Value. I like they allow you to set up in their little on-site campground (although I see on Google maps, there is a large campground right next door) so you can try out all the systems before you take your new purchase home.

Reading other forums and all the issues owners have makes me sometimes think keeping devil I know (and is paid for) vs sinking $200k+ into the devil I don't. It seems even the higher level "luxury" motorhomes aren't without problems. But I'm wanting to take the next step to upgrade.

I'm still trying to narrow down my list and thank you for your experience and responses.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:46 PM   #7

We bought our Berk 39A November 2017, just rolled around 6500 miles on it, we love it! Stepped up into this from a Georgetown XL and it’s been great. Yes there have been the typical shake down repairs, but we are pretty happy with this coach!
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:54 PM   #8

We have a 2018 39a. A few minor issues, all were addressed by warranty dept very fast. The only issue is the rv king mattress furnished from the factory is a pice of junk. We had to buy a good inter spring rv mattress in order to get a good nights sleep, so I suggest you look carefully at the mattress and bargain with the dealer for an upgrade. Also, make sure you get a 2019 model, the 2018 has a poor furnace heating design that has been fixed in 2019. After we tweeted our new rv to fit our needs, we love it. It’s our 5th motorhome and thee best bu far.
rdonihoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:15 AM   #9

We’ve owned ours since aug 16’ she’s an 11 390rb. I’m a tad partial to the Berk because I’m an Omaha native 4th generation Nebraskan. Buffy was well cared for. We have only had 2 repairs. We have enjoyed adding color and making her ours. She’s our first Motorhome 3rd rv. We had an occasion to visit the factory last summer and loved showing her off. The diesel division is top rate and so are the parts Dept. We found our tailpipe was rusted off and quickly we had 2 mechanics under her removing what was left. Lots of great advice on how to maintain her. And as luck would have it we had 2 items break right there in the lot. Thanks Andy and the parts dept putting us right again. Andy stayed late the night we had our tailpipe snaffoo we got a smaller sized one created by a local muffler shop. I think he wanted to make sure we made it back to the lot safe and sound. Maybe ask and take a factory tour we did, found it fascinating
omahagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:11 AM   #10

As to Total Value RV. Great family dealership. We have purchased 4 coaches there. The last one being our Berkshire.

They are just 3 mile from the factory great benefit. Their campground is 6 sites with water and electric. When we have traded we would park our trade-in in one site and the new coach in another site and take our time switching over. Generally staying a couple days to sort out any issues.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonihoo View Post
We have a 2018 39a. A few minor issues, all were addressed by warranty dept very fast. The only issue is the rv king mattress furnished from the factory is a pice of junk. We had to buy a good inter spring rv mattress in order to get a good nights sleep, so I suggest you look carefully at the mattress and bargain with the dealer for an upgrade. Also, make sure you get a 2019 model, the 2018 has a poor furnace heating design that has been fixed in 2019. After we tweeted our new rv to fit our needs, we love it. It’s our 5th motorhome and thee best bu far.
Hello rdonihoo- first wanted to address this and hopefully help you out regarding the “poor furnace design”. I also have a 2018 39A and agree the Precision Plex control programing was not well throught out (only assuming that is what you are refering to). The program in the 2018 did not allow you to choose between the heat pump, furnace or auto/both and simply tended to use both often wasting propane when the temperatures would support heat pump only use. That programing was fixed in the 2019 models and when I heard about the change in the 2019 model, I called Precision Plex. They were very aware of the issue (Forest River had ordered it that way) and also very willing to change the programing of the system to be like the 2019 models. For $50 (plus shipping) they will reprogram your touch screen and allow complete control of the system. I did this a couple of months ago and now it works great with complete control of the system. There is a post here in the form on the details (I think it’s titled “Precision Plex Touchscreen” that details all of this if you are interested.

Now to the original poster/question- We are now on our second Berkshire and could not be happier with both. The only reason for the change from the first one (2013 390RB) to the new on (2018 39A) was wanting a little more horsepower and some additional bells and whistles. Both are/were great coaches with only minor issues to deal with over the years. I have had great luck in working with Forest River (like others have mentioned) and have had no major issues. We have only had the new one since August of last year and made only 3 or 4 weekend trips (we both still work). The 39A offers a great floorplan in my opinion with a lot of additional space because of the full wall slide. The dash is well laid out and very well appointed (the sound system and navigation system are GREAT). The 2018 seems a lot more “stable” to drive than our 2013 was (although it was good too). We are very happy with our upgrade and standby to answer any questions you might have. Best of luck with your decision! -Glenn
Pacific Northwest
Subsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:19 PM   #12

Thank you all for your posts. I agree about the OEM mattresses. The one that came with our motorhome was really bad (I mean REALLY bad). They must buy them in bulk from some junk mattress warehouse just to have something to support the bedspread - which was the 1st thing I took off the bed & put it & the shams away to be put back when we sell.

Thanks too for your input on Total Value, CAT-RN. They must treat customers right for you to have come back to them for 4 purchases.

I like hearing there's been only minor issues, easily fixable under warranty. Does Forest River do warranty repairs at the factory like some other manufacturers do?

One thing I can't remember from seeing the 39A at the RV show: it doesn't come with a power cord reel or a water hose reel does it? I couldn't find anything about powered reels in the 2019 brochure. These are 2 things we had added to our gas motorhome & just love them. Not a deal breaker because we have a source to have that done, just was trying to remember if the Berkshire 39A had them.

One thing I was pleased with was it still was a propane system motorhome. I'm a cook & do NOT like electric cooktops. I prefer the control of a flame. I also don't trust those Aquahot or Hydrohot systems. For a stable sticks and bricks house I can see such a system, but for something that twists, bounces & shakes down roads, I can just see connections being broken causing problems. Plus, one more thing to winterize. I guess I must be in the minority because so many diesel motorhome we've looked at have gone all electric with Aquahot under the floors.

It sounds like a trip to the factory should be in our plans once the weather breaks.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:05 PM   #13
Dragonship Captain

Agree with the mattress. We put a memory foam topper on there (about 3" thick) and that plus a quality pad made it quite comfortable.

We too have only had minor issues, and I took care of most of them myself. that said, it took 3 months of relentless hounding before they sent me the parts to fix the one major issue. (Slide roller plates) and, they didn't even want to talk about the Atwood. So..... take that for what it's worth.

We've also made a ton of mods of things that we didn't like, or needed improving.

But bottom line is: Was the value there? Yes. Would I buy it again.... at that time for that price with that layout, yes. Would I buy it now... no, but that's because I know more and want some other things. But, it would cost me more, quite a bit more.

Then again I don't miss the Precision Plex solution to a problem I didn't have. Quite pleased to have the last of the "steam coaches". So we're not selling anytime soon.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:57 PM   #14

We are on our second Berkshire and we have been very pleased with both of them! Our first one was a 2016 38A and other than fixing 2 rocker switches on the dash, we didn't really have any problems with it. Our second and current Berkshire is a 2018 XL 40C which we have been extremely pleased with! The only reason for the upgrade was the bigger engine, King bed, and 3 A/C units. Little things I guess, but you only live once, so you may as well live to the fullest! Another thing that convinced us to stay with the Berkshire is the wonderful group of Berkshire Owners out there! A very welcoming, warm, and helpful group of people that really make RVing fun! You can be in a million dollar coach, but if you aren't having fun and enjoying yourself, the cost doesn't matter! Go for the Berkshire! You won't regret it!!
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
... Another thing that convinced us to stay with the Berkshire is the wonderful group of Berkshire Owners out there! A very welcoming, warm, and helpful group of people that really make RVing fun! ...
That's what I'm finding here. Very nice & helpful members, answering my questions (that've probably been asked before ) It's a big purchase going from a paid-for 14 y.o. gasser to a new diesel. Lots to think about.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnsc View Post
We are on our second Berkshire. First was a 2012 390bh-360 and now a 2018 43B XLT. We have had great experiences with both motorhomes. Getting through the first year getting all the bugs worked out can be trying. If you have ever built a new house you go through similar experiences. The company and warranty people are great to work with. Very responsive to all our needs. Could not be happier with the overall product. I think Berkshire Motorhomes are as good as if not better than most brands on the market. You get a great bang for your buck.

Good Luck with what ever you decide to purchase.

So I own his 1st and I love it. Berks are built pretty good, I have upgrade the hot water heater But most of the systems are original. So my 2012 is going strong.

I have also had great support from Forest River- which is really good as I'm the 2nd owner.

I feel they are a great value, you can surely buy better- but you will spend a lot more. Best of luck
Old 02-16-2019, 03:53 PM   #17

Since they are not too far away from you, I suggest you visit Motorhomes2Go in Grand Rapids. After researching everything from Texas to California, we found they offered the best price. We drove 6 hours from southern Ohio to made the deal. After 4 RVs, I can say their chief mechanic, Gene is one of the best in the industry. Amazing prep work. He found a defective Truma and replaced it before we even showed up. Three hour inspection indoors in the middle of winter, was impressive. Tell them we sent you. Had them add a gas oven which they did flawlessly. A platter of homemade cookies goes a long ways.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:16 PM   #18

Thanks for the tip on Motorhomes2go. I will check them out.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:37 PM   #19
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey

We have a 2018 XL-40B-380 with almost 22,000 on her. Bought new at TVRV in Elkhart. You are already ahead of the game; after your statement about other coaches also having problems. We will probably go for another Berkshire, and use the experiences gained through owning the brand. We like the 380 h.p. I will say that after owning this and other Forest River RVs, they generally put out a pretty good product. Most problems can be traced to operator error or simply not knowing about it in the first place. Not to say some system components may not function properly from the git go, but those are not Forest Rivers doing.

Take you time, do your research, take a factory tour, listen to other folks in owners and like a good FROG read other forums, as well as this one. Your PDI is really, really important, just don’t get in a hurry either. Your decision should come through knowledge that you gain from your research.

Personally I’d look at some of the non branded forums to learn of a broader cross section of 1) problems faced by owners of various brands and 2) to learn what they did to get on with RV’ing. IRV2 (Internet), Diesel Pusher RV/Motor Home (FB page) are a couple.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:36 AM   #20
BobbyJ

We have a 2018 XL 40C, one of the first to be built. That was my mistake. Lots of early problems almost too many to mention. I think my (and others) bad experience led to some 2019 improvements. We too had great help from the warranty team, but nothing from engineering. They do not listen or return calls and even went to the suppliers to stop my communication. Having said that my 2018 is now totally fixed, thanks to many great suggestions from the forum, of course, and we are totally happy with our coach. I believe my 2018 to be better than even the 2019 in some ways. Anyway, The biggest help we had was from the team at Motorhomes2Go. Gene and Jim and Trip were just super in getting the coach fixed, including removing the AC unit and properly installing it so that it could work. No more 100 degree cabin temperatures, (actually 101.) Photo if you like. Again too many issues to mention, but after a flawless 7000 mile trip to the west coast and back I can say again Thank you Forest River for a great coach and thank you Motorhomes2Go for the best price and service in the nation.

BobbyJ
State College PA
Bobbyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire