Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
JTN8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 619
Berkshire preventative maintenance

So the end of July will be 1 year since I've owned my 2014 berkshire 390BH and I was wondering what y'all do for preventative maintenance, fluid changes etc... I looked on freight liners web site and I saw the 6 month inspection sheet and 12 month inspection sheet. I called my local freight liner service center and they quoted me $350 for an oil change, chassis lube and full inspection. I also called my local cummins service center and they quoted me $175 for the oil change, $50 for the fuel filters and another $50 for the motorhome chassis lube. I've changed the oil my self for the generator and that was easy but the engine makes me a little nervous. So I was wondering, are these prices average and is any of the Preventative maintenance things easy to do your self or should I bring it to one of the service centers? Obviously the freight liner inspection sheet is long and in depth and pretty sure I can not inspect all of the things on there so my other question is should I stick with freight liner service center or use cummins service center when doing the inspection? Thank you in advance for any of your experiences with the above questions.

Jason
__________________

JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:45 PM   #2
Berkshire 390QS
 
NO3putt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,416
For us we take to an authorized Frightliner/Cummins dealer. (They are both) Every year we have the following:

Oil change, engine & generator
Fuel filters
Lub
Chassis inspection, brakes checked, water tested,
For around $450

As needed:
Air filters
Air dryer serviced
What ever is listed in manual based on miles

They found a front brake seal leaking.
They found rear brake pad chunking

A good dealer is the best thing you can find.
__________________

__________________
2011: 54 days, 2012: 218 days, 2013: 175 days, 2014: 196 days
2015: 188 days, 2016: 72 days, 2017: 185 days: 2018 182 days
2009 Berkshire, 390QS, and toad
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:33 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
JTN8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by NO3putt View Post
For us we take to an authorized Frightliner/Cummins dealer. (They are both) Every year we have the following:

Oil change, engine & generator
Fuel filters
Lub
Chassis inspection, brakes checked, water tested,
For around $450

As needed:
Air filters
Air dryer serviced
What ever is listed in manual based on miles

They found a front brake seal leaking.
They found rear brake pad chunking

A good dealer is the best thing you can find.

Thank you for the info!! Sounds like the pricing is about the same and I think I should stick with freight liner even though a little bit more than cummins, I want my chassis inspected properly. Thanks again!

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Mmnsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Charleston County SC
Posts: 674
Have you thought about having you service done at the FL facility in Gaffney SC. They do great job, know what they are doing and provide overnight parking with hook ups. Also a great opportunity to attend camp freightliner. Just my opinion
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
JTN8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnsc View Post
Have you thought about having you service done at the FL facility in Gaffney SC. They do great job, know what they are doing and provide overnight parking with hook ups. Also a great opportunity to attend camp freightliner. Just my opinion

Little far for me for service, I have a Freightliner service center close to my house. I am planning on attending the camp in October though, but don't want to wait that long for my service. End of July will be one year and I'm just under 6k on mileage right now.

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
dan-nickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 1,660
I thought my book said the first service should be at 6 months?
Are you guys skipping that one?
__________________
Dan
2014 Berkshire 390RB-60
dan-nickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:29 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
JTN8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 619
I did see freight liner has a six month inspection on the chassis, but the first service for oil and oil/fuel filters are 1 year, unless I read it wrong.
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
dan-nickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 1,660
So, did you get an 'inspection' at 6 months.
What does everyone do at 6 months if anything.

My 6 months is coming up but only have about 2000 miles.
Does it affect warranty?
__________________
Dan
2014 Berkshire 390RB-60
dan-nickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:48 PM   #9
2011 Berkshire 390BH
 
Superchief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lancaster, NY
Posts: 1,063
FL changed the 6 month to 1 year (per Mike (Instructor) at Freightliner Camp).
__________________
Craig



Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:55 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
JTN8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 619
I did not get one at six months, looked at the inspection sheet on freight liners web sight and it was the same as the one year. I figured I'd take care of it all at the one year mark when I needed all of the fluid and filters changed. I did change the oil and filter myself on the generator once I hit my break in hours though since cummins wanted $100.00 to do it and it cost me less than $25 to do it myself... Very very easy if you air up the bags and crawl under the generator when pulled out. I'm sure I could change the oil myself in the engine too, but not sure about the fuel filters..... Not sure how hard they are...
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:00 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
I think the important filter on the first service is the Transmission filter the small screw on one.



Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
JTN8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I think the important filter on the first service is the Transmission filter the small screw on one.

Is it easy to find and replace?? I haven't gotten under the coach much to really look where everything is located.

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Mbh818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: East Stroudsburg, PA
Posts: 106
Berkshire preventative maintenance

Had my first service done at a Speedco in utah during our maiden voyage. Was around 7000 miles. Speedco is like a jiffy lube for truckers. They were great. In and out in less than hour. Changed oil, filters, lube, etc for about $260 if i remember correctly. Not sure where you are located or if there is a Speedco nearby, but I was happy with them.
__________________
Mike Hollar
2014 Berkshire 390BH-40
2012 Chevy Equinox - TOAD
Mbh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:31 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Jason I haven't done mine myself but it's a twist on filter like a oil filter and just as easy to do.



Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:34 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
JTN8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbh818 View Post
Had my first service done at a Speedco in utah during our maiden voyage. Was around 7000 miles. Speedco is like a jiffy lube for truckers. They were great. In and out in less than hour. Changed oil, filters, lube, etc for about $260 if i remember correctly. Not sure where you are located or if there is a Speedco nearby, but I was happy with them.

Thanks for the info, I'm located in Suffolk VA (near Norfolk and VA Beach area), I'll need to see if there is one around. Haven't heard of them before.

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:36 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
JTN8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Jason I haven't done mine myself but it's a twist on filter like a oil filter and just as easy to do.

Thank you! I'm usually pretty handy with most of the easy maintenance stuff. The chassis inspection and lube will definitely be done by a professional, but if I can save some money and do the rest myself I definitely will. That money saved could be a couple of camping trips!! LOL!!

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:30 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
I thought my book said the first service should be at 6 months?
Are you guys skipping that one?
Be careful with FL truck shops that have not had custom chassis (MH) training.

First, the truck mech's HATE to work on MH's.

Secondly, last year I mentioned the "initial" 6 month service that FL recommends, and all I got was the old "dear in the headlights" look. This was FL of Arizona, and they had no idea what I was talking about.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:21 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
I-RV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
Posts: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTN8 View Post
So the end of July will be 1 year since I've owned my 2014 berkshire 390BH and I was wondering what y'all do for preventative maintenance, fluid changes etc... I looked on freight liners web site and I saw the 6 month inspection sheet and 12 month inspection sheet. I called my local freight liner service center and they quoted me $350 for an oil change, chassis lube and full inspection. I also called my local cummins service center and they quoted me $175 for the oil change, $50 for the fuel filters and another $50 for the motorhome chassis lube. I've changed the oil my self for the generator and that was easy but the engine makes me a little nervous. So I was wondering, are these prices average and is any of the Preventative maintenance things easy to do your self or should I bring it to one of the service centers? Obviously the freight liner inspection sheet is long and in depth and pretty sure I can not inspect all of the things on there so my other question is should I stick with freight liner service center or use cummins service center when doing the inspection? Thank you in advance for any of your experiences with the above questions.

Jason
Although I have done all my auto servicing, I have found it too much to tackle the MH. Although an oil change is obvious, it is important to change the fuel filters each time and the tranny filter the first year and every other year thereafter. Besides the Cummins engine, there is a zillion things to do on the chassis. I have attached a service matrix and several schedules. You should also acquire each maintenance interval service sheet which will itemize all the service items for each interval.

If you use Freightliner for service, I would advise using an "Oasis" Freightliner Service Center. They are geared for motorhomes. The best Oasis is in Gaffeney, SC. Also, join www.Access Freightliner.com. If you do not use FL Oasis, make sure the service center quotes and does do the schedule sheet. Most do not have an idea what to do.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 131029 - Maintenance Schedule.pdf (79.2 KB, 182 views)
File Type: pdf 131029 - 6 month service.pdf (55.9 KB, 106 views)
File Type: pdf 131029 - 12 month service.pdf (56.3 KB, 91 views)
File Type: pdf 131029 - 24 month service.pdf (59.1 KB, 83 views)
I-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:12 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
JTN8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 619
Thank you for the attachments!!

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
dan-nickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 1,660
I RV curious what the significance of the highlighted lines are?

Dan
_________________________
2014 Berkshire 390RB-60
__________________

__________________
Dan
2014 Berkshire 390RB-60
dan-nickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
berkshire, maintenance, vent

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 PM.


×