Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2015, 10:25 PM   #41

Hi Phil,

I am not a trusting person person either but was afraid if I said no, got out to Albany and there was a problem I might get we will not work on it again. I told Cummins the only way I would authorize the work was if I got the old parts. I plan to check this weekend to see if fuel pressure valve was replaced. I have been educating myself with regard to the fuel system. The pressure valve is at the top front of the engine on the fuel rail. Old part was painted Cummins orange so I should easily be able to spot the new part.

Yes the wife is better. It took 5 rounds of antibiotics. Real tough bug.

And yes we are both glad it is home. My plan is to service coach and generator, wash and wax, and then put it to bed for the winter. I hate to say I have had enough this year. With the new tires this spring, wow! Broke the bank! You just might see me on the street corner with a sign "Owner of motorhome needs funds"
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:39 PM   #42
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Silver, Glad that you "finally" got through this unsettling situation! Glad to hear that Gaffney had your back. I will be sure to thank them when I see them later this month. As for Coach Net, it is a very good policy. I had a flat tire on the road years ago that would have cost me $250 for a after hours service call. They paid the whole bill and talked the service guy into taking the service call when he first declined it. I hope you wife is now doing well! Regards, Craig

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:21 AM   #43

Silver; your experience certainly pains me and was a terrible experience for you and your wife. Hope she is doing well now.

Was the Freightliner service an Oasis center? Appears there was no warranty coverage; what is the year of your motorhome? - Hank
Old 10-10-2015, 08:48 AM   #44

Silver, as others have said, I too am sorry to hear of your plight but am
glad it is all over. Look up nightmare in Websters and I think you'll see that story. Here's to a better 2016

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:00 AM   #45

My Berk is a 2008. Was not an Oasis but was a bog shop. I feel weather Oasis or not Freightliner and Cummins should support their products. If at home I would have fixed it myself but you cannot do a job like that on the side of the road with no tools.

A week before the FMCA Family Rally in WI this year the tail pipe needed to be replaced on my Berkshire. Simple maintenance. I called the local Freightliner shop and was told They are not working on motorhomes until Sept. This was July. This is just like saying we don't work on motorhomes as in the north east we put the coaches away in Sept/Oct. I told them you do not understand I just need the part. Part was ordered and I put it on. At the FMCA show I was having a nice chat with the Freightliner people prior to their booth being open. Went on maybe 30 minutes. They were board and said were glad to have company. I brought service up and asked if they had any pull with their shops to get them to be more motorhome friendly. One of the men I was talking to walked away and I saw him on his phone. Next thing security shows up and tells me I have to leave until the show opens. Coincidence, maybe. I know Freightliner gives us motorhome owners great lip service how important our business is to them but it seems to be just that lip service. You can read similar horror stories to mine on this and the IRV2 forum. I used to think they were exaggerated but no more.

I have found that the only Freightliner group that has our back is Gaffney. They are great but cannot do it all.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:15 AM   #46

Silver I use a FL dealer in South Bend and Elkhart, IN called Hill Truck they have worked on every one of my class A's with FL chassis'. Never had an issue getting service but their hourly rate for MH is more than their standard rate.

Wayne
Old 10-10-2015, 09:29 AM   #47

I always thought that all the FL shops were company owned. I do believe I was wrong. I have been told that most are an independent dealership and seem to be able to make up their own rules. They had better get this attitude under control. There a lot of us MH's and more coming everyday. Totally not expectable.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:37 AM   #48

Silver, I too have found a great FL Oasis dealer....Freightliner of Kalamazoo/Matawan. Excellent prices and when you need a part, no BS. I think there are good dealers out there. But I believe that they are franchises and as such, there will be good ones and there will be bad ones. How much control does corporate have over franchisees? Freightliner seems to have a large market share for motorhome chassis (and they offer great products) but if they don't deliver, I bet Spartan would love the chance to step in.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:15 AM   #49

This whole thing has made me terrified that I may get into a similar situation some day. If I weren't full time and it did happen, I be tempted to leave the damn coach sitting by the side of the road.

I've tried to get an answer from FCCC whether I have the upgraded fan hub. They will not tell me. I suspect that having a 2010 chassis I probably do.

I was going to have it checked at an Oasis in Grand Junction, CO a few days ago, but the guy behind the counter didn't even know what an "oasis" dealer is.

Even though somewhere in FL's literature it mentioned that the Grand Junction location is an oasis.

Boowho??

P.S. Thank God for this forum. Without it, we'd be in deep "stuff".
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:30 AM   #50

Boo,

If you read my story did you catch the fact that they but a new four bolt hub in even after I told them about the problem.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:35 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post

P.S. Thank God for this forum. Without it, we'd be in deep "stuff".

X2

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:38 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Boo,

If you read my story did you catch the fact that they but a new four bolt hub in even after I told them about the problem.

I did and I thought it was strange. If I remember correctly Tom had his changed to a 5 bolt hub. I do know that before I leave this Thursday I plan to attempt to wiggle my fat butt up into the engine compartment and take a serious look at it. I will bring a wrench and check the bolts and all of the hoses and clamps. Scary stuff. Boo as yours and mine are so close in numbers if I see anything I'll let you know.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:02 PM   #53

Opened the engine hatch this weekend and reviewed all the work that was done. Actually looks good. The radiator was removed from the back rather than from below as I thought it would be. Looks like it was cut out as every stud and bracket was new. I bet I have over 20 new studs welled onto the frame where the old ones were cut out. Frame members around the new radiator were painted and I have a shiny new electric clutch. That is what started all this. So even though they were slow to get on board and did not do a complete install, the work done looks pretty good. Still need to test freezing point of the coolant.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:44 PM   #54

Silver I'm sure it was a relief to see the quality work done. As handy as you are and the amount of time and energy you have into your MH I m sure it's difficult to hand it over to someone else to do the work. Nice to hear it was done correctly and that issue should be behind you.

Tags
berkshire