Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2020, 01:55 PM   #1

Berkshire Replacement Seat Covers - How to?

I'm assuming other people on this forum have faced this problem/issue, but I couldn't find a clear explanation. I don't have my coach handy to do a real world test, so I thought I'd hit the next best thing . . .
The driver's and passenger's seat covers in our 2015 34QS (pretty generic captain's chairs) started delaminating/shedding. I contacted FR and got a pair of replacement seat covers, which come in four "parts": the base/seat; the upper/seat back part; and two armrest pieces.
Has anyone done the re-covering of the captain's chairs with the FR replacement covers? It looks like everything is designed to "slip on" (e.g., there are plastic channels/clips that appear designed to simply hook onto the chairs themselves), but not sure if I should/need to remove the existing seat covers or if I need to find an auto upholsterer?
There is also a section of the new upper/seat back seat cover that appears to need a piece of foam inserted (it's right where your back would rest against the seat).
Anyone have any tips/advice/suggestions?
TIA
Old 01-22-2020, 05:36 AM   #2

I took mine to a car interior shop. Took the guy about 4 hours and i think it was about $500.

Mine were missing several holes - for switches and stuff. I did not want to screw them up.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:17 AM   #3

Do you have a contact number for who you talk to that sent out the replacements?
tonost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:27 PM   #4

I contacted-
athompson@forestriverinc.com

you need to find a tag- actually a piece of paper that is tucked in the springs under the seat. That will give them the batch number.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:02 PM   #5

How much is Forest River charging for the new parts? I just noticed the area behind the driver's head is cracking, close to de-laminating on our Berkshire.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by erniet View Post
How much is Forest River charging for the new parts? I just noticed the area behind the driver's head is cracking, close to de-laminating on our Berkshire.
You may want to consider a Utah company called Seat Covers Unlimited.
Quality, Custom Auto Seat Covers From Seat Covers Unlimited

When we bought our new Class C E450 we ordered the Scottsdale series covers. We first contacted them to make sure they could make them. We emailed pictures. Great people to work with. We have used their covers on our 2008 Sierra, 2012 Silverado, 2012 Jeep Liberty, and the MH. Easy to install, great fit, comfortable and long wearing. They really added class and comfort to the E450 generic seats as-well-as arm rest covers and map pockets. These covers are custom made to fit over the existing upholstery. The materials are very durable and have shown no wear in 8 years of use. As a matter of fact, a Chevy service man complemented as to how good they looked and how comfortable they were-and he is getting in/out of vehicle daily. The covers were 6 years old at the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8082940.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	222421   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8082951.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	350.0 KB
ID:	222422   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8082964.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	288.3 KB
ID:	222423   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8082924.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	222424   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8082930.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	381.2 KB
ID:	222425  

PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:13 AM   #7

Not sure I would waste time and energy on the replacement covers. Our 2013 390RB had issues with original covers and FR sent replacements. The replacement covers started to shed just as fast as the originals.

I purchased a set of Ultraleather covers from Flexsteel. Also used Ultraleather for the replacement covers for sofa and food booth made from same material by local upholstery shop. They ordered the Ultraleather from their supplier.

Had to install the food booth covers myself because you can’t deconstruct the ends without destroying them. The upholstery shop used the old covers as a pattern and they did an excellent job. Replacements fit great. Did the Captains chairs myself too to save money. None of it hard. Just took some time.

It worked out great and the Ultraleather is amazing stuff. Nearly indestructible.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 02:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSouth10 View Post
I'm assuming other people on this forum have faced this problem/issue, but I couldn't find a clear explanation. I don't have my coach handy to do a real world test, so I thought I'd hit the next best thing . . .
The driver's and passenger's seat covers in our 2015 34QS (pretty generic captain's chairs) started delaminating/shedding. I contacted FR and got a pair of replacement seat covers, which come in four "parts": the base/seat; the upper/seat back part; and two armrest pieces.
Has anyone done the re-covering of the captain's chairs with the FR replacement covers? It looks like everything is designed to "slip on" (e.g., there are plastic channels/clips that appear designed to simply hook onto the chairs themselves), but not sure if I should/need to remove the existing seat covers or if I need to find an auto upholsterer?
There is also a section of the new upper/seat back seat cover that appears to need a piece of foam inserted (it's right where your back would rest against the seat).
Anyone have any tips/advice/suggestions?
TIA
I got replacement covers from FR for my 2011 390RB.

I fitted them myself over a couple of days (I am retired so was able to take my time)

I removed the seats from the coach and brought them home (Coach was in storage).

Its quite a fiddly job and you will need patience, if you need more info I will try and do a write up.

Tags
berkshire, cover, replacement