Old 10-24-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
RnR

Berkshire Ride

This is my first motorhome and I will have to say the ride is not as smooth as I thought it would be. My lack of experience with other coaches has me at a disadvantage as I dont' have any other motorhome to compare it to.

On good smooth roads it's fine, also it handles dips pretty well, but bumpy roads even those not very detectable with the eyes I feel every little thing, much rougher ride than expected.

I'm asking the experience road worriors what kind of ride I should expect from my Berkshire?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

All the ways of a man are clean in his own eyes; but the LORD weigheth the spirits. Pro 16:2
2011 Berkshire 390BH DP
RnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
2011 Berkshire 390bh

RnR, you may want to check your alignment on your coach. We noticed a change in our ride once we got an alignment done. We had ours aligned at Freightliner in Gaffney, SC. I would imagine that any Freightliner dealer could do an alignment for you. You wouldn't think a new rig needs an alignment, but most new rigs do need one.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #3

rnr,
You should also check your tire pressure. If they are over inflated for your weight, they will tend to give you a harder ride.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
RnR

wnytaxman and tmmar;
Thank you both for your response. Good suggestions. I have noticed the coach has a tendency to drift to the right. I have thought I had a low tire, but every time I checked it was not. I will get it checked.

I've weighed the coach and have the weight of the front and rear axles, I will take a look at it and compare it to the inflation chart on Michelin's web site.
All the ways of a man are clean in his own eyes; but the LORD weigheth the spirits. Pro 16:2
2011 Berkshire 390BH DP
Old 10-30-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
RnR

The scale weight for the front axle is 10600 lbs. and the rear axle is 17500 lbs. I have set the front tire pressure to 100 psi and dropped the rear tire pressure to 90 psi. Does this sound about right to you all.

I set this yesterday so I haven't driven it yet. The temps are beginng to get near freezing at times so I winterized the coach also.

I haven't had the alignment checked yet, we generally don't travel during winter and I'm planning to go to camp freightliner in March so I'm debating whether to get it done now or wait until them.

Ron
2011 Berkshire 390BH DP
Old 10-31-2011, 10:48 AM   #6

My weights are 9600 front and 17600 rear. The michelin chart says that for 4805 lbs for single tire (mine is 9600/2=4600/tire lbs) or for 8820lbs for dual tires(mine 17600/2=8800lbs/2tires), inflation should be 95lbs. which is where I have my tires set for front and rear.

Don't know if you have this but here is a link to the Michelin inflation chart:

Michelin North America RV Load & Inflation Tables

(you have to go to the 22.5 page)

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:58 AM   #7
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Ron,

I agree with Tom on the tire pressure. I think 95 is a pretty realistic pressure. You'll need to check them again before heading out to Camp Freightliner.

I would hold off on the alignment until I got to Gaffney. Make sure you make your appointment with them well in advance as they tend to fill up when the Camp is on.

Ed
Old 10-31-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
RnR

Ed & Tom,
Thanks for the feedback. I agree about waiting until I go to Gaffney for the alignment.
I think I need to weight my coach again my front axle weight is a 1000 lbs more than Tom's, rear axle is 70 lbs less. I would think the front axles would be closer in weight. Basement is not heavily loaded.
Front axle 10600/2=5300, rear axle 17500/2=8750. Looking at the Michelin chart for 255/80R22.5 XRV
5300=110+ psi (actually off the chart, stops at 5205).
8750=95 psi

2011 Berkshire 390BH DP

Tags
berkshire