Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2010, 01:35 AM   #1

Berkshire Routine/Preventative Maintenance

I really want to make sure I have a firm grasp on the cost of ownership beyond just the monthly payment and someplace to store this behemoth.

How often does the oil need to be changed in the engine and generator?

When it comes to the engine and generator what other routine/preventative maintenance is there besides oil changes and what price range should I expect these items to fall into?

When talking about the rest of the coach (frame, suspension, slides, systems, etc) what I am looking at for this type of maintenance in terms of intervals, cost, etc.?

Besides the oil changes is any of the other maintenance user friendly or does it need to be done at the shop? I am a mechanically inclined person, but not a mechanic, with a solid assortment of tools, to give you an frame of reference for that question.

I'm getting closer to purchasing the Berkshire everyday. I was approved for the loan, but I think we are still a little off on the terms I offered them from what they told me on the phone. I'm going back in next weekend to look over the deal the conjured up. I will most definitely say thanks but no thanks, and walk away for now. We will come to an agreement at some point as I'm pretty sure I want to purchase, but I'm going to bust their "you know what's" for a little while first, and make sure I'm squeezing every last penny out of the deal. I know, I know, it's mean, but it is what it is.

I can't say it enough, these forums are invaluable. Thanks again.

Ryan
iflyskyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #2

Mtce on any large diesel will cost you lots of $$. It cost me about $600 yr for oil changes on motor and gen. That includes grease, lube and checking brakes. Seems like there is always something costing $$ but you can't take it with you. We like our unit but found the mtce to be higher than we were told by dealer and that was our let down. Sure some people can do mtce themselves but you must know what your doing on a 30K lb rig going down the hwy at 65 mph (is it safe ?) I have qualified people look after this but it costs $$ so don't let people tell you much diff. This is our own experince. My next unit will be a 5th wheel I think.
Team Wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Wilhelm View Post
Mtce on any large diesel will cost you lots of $$. It cost me about $600 yr for oil changes on motor and gen. That includes grease, lube and checking brakes. Seems like there is always something costing $$ but you can't take it with you. We like our unit but found the mtce to be higher than we were told by dealer and that was our let down. Sure some people can do mtce themselves but you must know what your doing on a 30K lb rig going down the hwy at 65 mph (is it safe ?) I have qualified people look after this but it costs $$ so don't let people tell you much diff. This is our own experince. My next unit will be a 5th wheel I think.
Thanks to everyone for all their advice and help. After really pondering it for a couple weeks we have decided that this is not the right time to make this large of a purchase. I just don't feel like spending that much on everything that goes with it, i.e. maintenance. Thanks again.
iflyskyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire, surveyor