Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2014, 06:12 AM   #1

Berkshire shift pattern

I just purchased a 2014 Berkshire 390 FL. Has the 360 engine and 6 speed Allison

It seems to me that it stays in 5 th gear too long. I have to be going 57 Mph for it to shift to 6 th. Ever if you ease out of the gas it will not shift up. Once it is in 6 th if you drop to 57 mph it will go back to 5 th.

I'm sure it has to do with lugging the motor. And maybe by not lugging it gets better fuel milage? I run lots of two lane roads and run just under the 57 mph To look down at 55 mph and continue to see 5 th gear doesn't seem right.

Has anyone else notice this. Or maybe had their transmission re-programmed ? Thanks

And yes I'm very happy with the Berkshire!!

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:17 AM   #2

Russel,
Check to see if there is a little red light in the right upper corner of the Allison shift control. If so, press the mode button to turn it off and see if that solves your problem. Also, make sure your engine brake is not on. That will cause it to down shift also.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:56 AM   #3

Berkshire shift pattern

Ok. The mode button is off ( not lite up). I was running with the engine brake on some of the time. But it will not shift up. I understand that as soon as I let off the gas it will shift down with brake on. I just felt that it should run in 6 th gear sooner??

Russell
Old 08-06-2014, 07:10 AM   #4

On my 2008 berkshire, with the mode light on it would shift into 6th around 60 mph. With mode off, it would go into 6th until 65 mph

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-06-2014, 07:28 AM   #5

Ok. I haven't tried it with light on?? I'll try that. Thanks.

Russell
Old 08-06-2014, 08:13 AM   #6

With economy mode on the transmission takes a less aggressive shift pattern. The mode on will allow the transmission to shift to 6th at around 60-65. Try to keep your RPMs at 1600-1700. If you are on a trip with not a lot if hills the economy mode works great. I don't use it as much as I did when I first got my MH. I talked to a Allison rep and was told to keep the RPMs up to handle hills and mountains better. He recommended down shifting as you get to the base of a climb. I was shifting to late and losing momentum. I found that works well so that's why I don't use the Econ
Mode as much as it down shifts faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #7

Berkshire shift pattern

Ya. I had similar transmission before. But it would get into 6 th a lot sooner. I never used the Econ button.

Russell
Old 08-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #8

The 6th gear is truly just an overdrive gear. Your best and most economical speed is when you sre around 1600 rpm Let the transmission do it thing. What you describe seems very normal on my opinion.
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #9

Mine has pretty much the same shift pattern. But I really don't think you will save much on fuel whether in 5th or 6th gear at that speed. Like stated above that 6th gear is there for speeds above 60ish and is basically an overdrive gear.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 08-06-2014, 10:21 PM   #10

Best MPG will happen at the SLOWEST you can go while staying in 6th gear. As soon as it drops to 5th, your mileage goes down.

The mode button set to ECON allows you to get into 6th gear at a lower speed than when not set to ECON.

I keep mine on ECON all the time, keep my speed at around 58-62 MPH and consistently get 11+ miles per gallon. On complete flatlands (like going across Kansas, for example) and not pushing a headwind, I've gotten right at 13.

In fact, when I picked up the coach, the ECON mode would not work. FL replaced the shifter box and that's when I noticed my MPG increase by around 10%.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:06 AM   #11

Although I did not check exactly what the speeds were,, I thought I did detect that with the engine brake on it took longer to shift into 6th.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:03 AM   #12

Thanks to all. It drops about 200 RPM when it goes to 6 th. I run a lot of two lanes so I see 55 MPH some. I'll try the mode button. I just need it to shift a couple mile sooner. It has all kinds of power in 6 th so I feel that in no way is it lugging it. On my last coach I just never used the mode button? It had the smaller Allison.

Russell
Old 08-16-2014, 09:18 PM   #13

An update for owners of newer vehicles-no red LED. Rather the window that shows what gear you are in simply says "Mode". I almost called Allison for a new shifter control panel. Also I dislike the placement of the shifter control panel. At the present time I have to take my eyes off the road to find the mode switch. Perhaps with more miles it will become second nature.
Roadmaster Falcon 2 All Terrain
SMI Air Force 1
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:04 AM   #14

I agree on where the shifter is. On my previous coach. (Not FR). The shifter was quite a bit further forward. This one is almost behind me. Of course I'm vertically challenged and have my seat way forward !!

Russell
Old 09-24-2014, 08:27 PM   #15

Ok just did a 400 mile trip. Transmission shifts to 6th gear at about 57 or 58 mph.

With the mode button on (red light on). Transmission will shift into 6 th at 54 MPH.

I'm good with that. I like the 55 mph roads.

Russell
Old 09-24-2014, 10:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
I agree on where the shifter is. On my previous coach. (Not FR). The shifter was quite a bit further forward. This one is almost behind me. Of course I'm vertically challenged and have my seat way forward !!

Russell

Worse than it's location...... howcum to go forward in the coach you press the REAR-most button and press the FRONT-most button to go backward in the coach? Is that bass-ackwards or what??

How dumb is that??

Boowho??
Old 09-25-2014, 05:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Worse than it's location...... howcum to go forward in the coach you press the REAR-most button and press the FRONT-most button to go backward in the coach? Is that bass-ackwards or what??

How dumb is that??

Boowho??

Only backward to us!! But see we are not engineers???

Russell
Old 09-25-2014, 07:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
Only backward to us!! But see we are not engineers???

Russell
Ya know..... I wouldn't be surprised if it were dictated by yet another damn federal govt regulation (from the fed DOT, maybe).

Boowho??
Old 09-25-2014, 08:05 PM   #19
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post

How dumb is that??

Boowho??
How come you have to click "Start" to shut down some computers?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire