Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #1

Berkshire vs Allegro Red

Hello all, the wife, kids and myself have been RV'ers for a long time. We are ready for an upgrade to a MH. We are shopping around and I wanted some opinions on the quality and amenities on the Berkshire (390BH) vs an Allegro Red (38 QBA). We've looked at both and are trying to decide on which one would be the better buy.

GO!!!
Old 03-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Good luck in your search !

TURBS
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Hello all, the wife, kids and myself have been RV'ers for a long time. We are ready for an upgrade to a MH. We are shopping around and I wanted some opinions on the quality and amenities on the Berkshire (390BH) vs an Allegro Red (38 QBA). We've looked at both and are trying to decide on which one would be the better buy.

GO!!!
Hi Cajun and welcome to the forum. When we bought our Berkshire we also looked at the Tiffin. There were a number of things that pushed us away from the Tiffin and to the Berkshire. The Tiffin was very, very tight with the slides in and even though I'm not huge it was still a tight squeeze to get to the bathroom. Also the Tiffin dinette was kind of chopped off so that two adults could not sit side by side without basically sitting on each other's lap.

The real big turnoff about the Tiffin was the massive quality issues that seem to be in all of their motorhomes. Cracked roofs, rotting wet bays, slide outs cracking, cracked front caps, and cracked rear caps. Tiffin owners will tell you that Bob will take care of you. Well, that is true....if you are willing to go to Red Bay, Alabama and spend weeks there waiting for repairs.

When we looked at the quality of the workmanship in the rig, the reputation of both the dealer and the manufacturer and the amenities of the Berkshire, it became a no brainer for us. The Berkshire was by far the best bang for the buck. My only regret about the Berkshire is that I didn't buy one sooner.

If you want the best information on the Tiffins, check out the Tiffin RV Forum. There are some great folks on there who will tell you the good, the bad and the ugly. Yes, there are some that don't want to admit that Tiffin is not nearly the quality motorhome that it once was, but if you hang around there for awhile you can get the straight information to make your judgement call.

Good luck in your search.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #4

We too considered the Tiffin before we purchased our 390RB-60. The quality of the Tiffin was impressive, however we were able to purchase our Berk for considerably less than a smaller Tiffin model. For us the decision was easy, larger unit, good quality for less money, the Berk got our vote hands down.

As mentioned above, the Tiffin was very, very tight with the slides in, I wasn't able to get to the bathroom, my wife, much smaller than I could squeeze in.

Every situation is unique, choose the unit that best fitts your needs, you can not make a wrong decision, both are quality units that you can be proud of.

Happy RVing, enjoy your chosen Motor Home.

Georg & Diana
GHodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #5

Thanks for the welcomes and the input guys. I did check out the Tiffin website and it sure does seem as though they have some major problems with their units. Lots of small issues as well.

We're going to keep shopping but the Berks are looking better and better all the time.

Thanks again.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #6

The wife and I went look at a 2013 390-40 BH yesterday. We really like it. We are about to pull the trigger on it but I was wondering if there are any issues with this model that need to be addressed before we drive it off the lot.

I also wanted to mention that we looked at a Red also yesterday and the Berkshire's fit, finish and layout are much better.

Thanks again for the responses!
Old 04-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
The wife and I went look at a 2013 390-40 BH yesterday. We really like it. We are about to pull the trigger on it but I was wondering if there are any issues with this model that need to be addressed before we drive it off the lot.

I also wanted to mention that we looked at a Red also yesterday and the Berkshire's fit, finish and layout are much better.

Thanks again for the responses!

As Phil57 as advised earlier take it to a scale and weigh both axles. I would NOT trust what the salesman SAYS, nor the yellow weight sticker. The salesman probably has no idea if the coach would be overloaded with you and all your "stuff" on board, nor (more than likely) would he care.

Compare the results (total front and back) to what FR posts as dry/empty weight on the yellow sticker posted on the screen door.

Also, front axle should be no more than 10410 and back axle no more than 17500.

For most accurate weighing, diesel and propane should be full, all other tanks empty.

This assumes you're getting the same chassis/tire combination that most of us have. The limiting factor is the tires on the front, but the chassis on the back.

Other than that, I'd have no issues buying a FR coach again. In general, I'm VERY happy with my unit.

I'm a bit surprised (but also delighted) to hear you say that the fit and finish of the Berks is better than Tiffin.

Best of luck.

Boowho??

P.S. If you haven't already done so read this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...0rb-37014.html
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote