Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2015, 01:37 PM   #61

Bob on all the Berkshires I have seen the front two slides are hydraulic and the back are electric motor driven.. The hydraulic slides are the ones that might need the slide locks. I have never used mine but I could win trouble if I have a valve go bad. It happens. My switches are in the hallway not in a cabinet.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 01:59 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Bob on all the Berkshires I have seen the front two slides are hydraulic and the back are electric motor driven.. The hydraulic slides are the ones that might need the slide locks. I have never used mine but I could win trouble if I have a valve go bad. It happens. My switches are in the hallway not in a cabinet.
Thanks Phil -- since we are still in the shopping phase, I am at a disadvantage of not having a Birkie parked outside to check

Thanks for the info on slide switch location. I was already thinking Data Closet

So, the bottom line is, Berkies all come with Slide Locks. I can remove that bullet from the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post
Bama, awesome compilation list. Only thing that I would change is central storage door locking with inside switch and key fob instead of combo locks. Wonder how much more this puppy will cost with all of the extras....
Rich,

A bit confused - central storage door locking? As in an electronic lock?

(if so, ya betcha that would be expensive! )

With the exception of the larger tanks and smart wheel (I have no idea what a smart wheel costs but could it be that much?) most of the other things are re-wickering floorplan layouts and fluid intake ports. The Emergency Exit Door could be made by re-purposing a medium-size storage door.

The TPMS, WasteMaster, Keyless Door, Power Reels & HDTV Antenna all retail for a total of @ $1800 (so FR cost would be @ $900)

The larger tanks they could obtain from the product line used by XLR or Vengeance (assuming they would fit the frame) so the cost should not be that signifiant.

I know one Berkshire owner that "insulated" their manifold by putting in a small infared heater - so I would imagine strategically placed XX Watt infared lamps in the manifold & some beefed up insulation would take care of the cold weather insulation of the manifold.

So, given that the mods could all be done for less than probably $2K, they would probably boost the MSRP $10K
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:51 PM   #63

I always use my slide locks on the front slides (didn't get slide locks for the rear slides). I started to use them after having a number of problems with my kitchen slide that necessitated my finally going to the factory to get them resolved. After that, while travelling with my son and his wife one trip and they were sitting at the dining table they said to me that the slides were swaying in and out at the top as we traveled. Not wanting to put any more stress on the slide mechanism which could possibly cause problems, I started using the slide locks. Takes just a few minutes to put the locks in place so it was no big deal to use them and it makes me feel that I am protecting the mechanism that moves the slides.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:13 PM   #64

Tom,

Thanks for the detailed explaination - makes perfect sense to me and I can see why people use the locks now.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:38 AM   #65

Bama, some of the more expensive motorhomes have power baggage door locks that lock/unlock all compartment doors when activated. I see this as a great feature since it would be much easier to make sure that all compartments are locked at night, easy open/locking when arriving at or leaving destinations, etc.

Tom, I never got any slide locks with this coach.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:47 AM   #66

Rich,
I would contact Andy at FR and tell him that you never got slide locks. I feel, as I stated in my earlier post, that they are helpful in preventing damage to the slide mechanism.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:37 AM   #67

Berkshire Wish List

Two things I think would help. 1. The transmission controls. F-N-R. Are located toward the back of the console. If it were higher forward on the console it would be easier to glance at while driving down the road (or down shifting on hills)

2. On the water compartment. If it were located between the slides instead of under a slide it be much easier to hook up sewer lines & water lines. And back flush the black tank . Tough on old knees to get under there !!

These may have been mentioned already. ?? Not sure
Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:56 AM   #68

CAT,
What type of camper do you have? On the Berkshires, the water compartment IS located between slides and the access door opens up fully when the slides are out to hook up all the lines you stated.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:01 AM   #69

Berkshire Wish List

Well I have a 2014 390 FL. For sure mine DOES NOT. Open all the way up with slides out. Now what I've done is unhook the struts so that when slide is in --I can fold door up against coach.

I guess different models are different

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:44 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
Well I have a 2014 390 FL. For sure mine DOES NOT. Open all the way up with slides out. Not what I've done is unhook the struts so that when slide is in --I can fold door up against coach.

I guess different models are different

Russell
Russell. I've got the same model and share your pain (literally when I'm crouched down hooking and disconnecting/emptying)

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:36 PM   #71

My 14 BH water cabinet is right between the slides.

Paul
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:52 PM   #72

The FL has that huge slide I believe. Almost a full wall slide. Most of the models the water and sewer are between slides.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:44 PM   #73
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Has anyone heard whether or not FR has any intentions of adding some of the things from our wish list? That would be ideal if they did make the Berk more like the Ventana and the Charleston more like the Dutch Star. I know that it would definitely change my way of thinking in regards to a new rig.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:22 PM   #74

I heard from a little birdie that they discuss our list in morning meetings. Unsure if they will be implemented.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:05 AM   #75

I really WISH a member of the Berk team was active on this list. You would think that, a list of folks who buy a MH with the MSRP of a upscale HOUSE would have a active participant of the company who designs and manufactures their motorhome of choice. Just saying Berkshire.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:08 PM   #76
BobbyJ

Improved safety items, airbags and seat latches for the kids car seats, improved seat belts, heavier front end steel. Just look at what automotive has been forced into, kicking and screaming. Do this, and I am in.
Bobbyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire