Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2017, 09:32 AM   #1

Berkshire XLT recall

Forest River recalls some motorhomes for fire risk

December 29, 2017
Forest River is recalling certain 2016-2018 Berkshire XLT motorhomes. Incorrect circuit breakers were used that may not contact the electrical sub-panel correctly. If the circuit breaker’s internal spring retention mechanism does not properly contact the sub-panel, the condition could cause excessive heat which could increase the risk of fire.

Forest River will notify owners, and dealers will replace the incorrect circuit breaker, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin February 8, 2018. Owners may contact Forest River customer service at 1-574-522-1368. Forest River’s number for this recall is 40-0594.
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:48 AM   #2

Sounds like they may have installed "Generic interchangeable" breakers instead of the brand name breakers. They have been around the electric industry forever, It's more of a "legal issue than a safety issue but good to have repaired. Just don't lose any sleep over it.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:01 PM   #3

I feel this issue goes way further and other Berkshires at least back to 2014 and possibly further should be included in this so called recall.

I have a 2014 390RB 340 and had the misfortune of having issues with my electrical circuits, specifically the refrigerator and general outlets circuits which came to find out share the same twin mini breaker placed in the inverter side of the panel box.

So one morning I wake up to an electrical arcing noise and low and behold upon removing the cover find arcing in the panel box that left unattended for a length of time possibly could have caused a fire.

The breaker in question was tampered with at the factory to use in that location ( tampered meaning broken and having a clip removed to fit onto the tabs in the inverter side of the panel) have also had at least one other Berk owner with a 2015 coach find the same scenario with there breaker in the same location.

In short I would urge any Berk owner to check or have someone check there breakers for this situation. I did notify FR with photos along with a video of the arcing and pretty much had a return email blowing the situation off.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:13 PM   #4

I feel this issue goes way further and other Berkshires at least back to 2014 and possibly further should be included in this so called recall.

I have a 2014 390RB 340 and had the misfortune of having issues with my electrical circuits, specifically the refrigerator and general outlets circuits which came to find out share the same twin mini breaker placed in the inverter side of the panel box.

So one morning I wake up to an electrical arcing noise and low and behold upon removing the cover find arcing in the panel box that left unattended for a length of time possibly could have caused a fire.

The breaker in question was tampered with at the factory to use in that location ( tampered meaning broken and having a clip removed to fit onto the tabs in the inverter side of the panel) have also had at least one other Berk owner with a 2015 coach find the same scenario with there breaker in the same location.

In short I would urge any Berk owner to check or have someone check there breakers for this situation. I did notify FR with photos along with a video of the arcing and pretty much had a return email blowing the situation off.[/QUOTE]

You are very correct to feel this way. This is a criminal offense. All anyone needs and should do is send pictures and a lawyers business card to FR or any manufacturer. The problem will be solved in a matter of days. Installing a generic breaker is one thing. I have done it. Cutting out the blocking device is a criminal offense.

I've seen this many times in my 45 years of being a Licensed Master Electrician.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:36 PM   #5

I’m not sure I could recognize the difference by just looking. Are we talking about the main ac breaker box (mine is in the bed structure? Or in the incoming electrical are where the cable comes in?
Old 01-28-2018, 10:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igave View Post
I’m not sure I could recognize the difference by just looking. Are we talking about the main ac breaker box (mine is in the bed structure? Or in the incoming electrical are where the cable comes in?
There is only one electric panel box in any RV. The cable goes thru the wall and to the Electric box. There is a main breaker 30A and there and 4 to 8 other breakers. 15-20 amp. The converter may be built in or separate.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:06 AM   #7

Video of the arcing in the panel box by the faulty misused twin mini 15 amp breaker.
Attached Files

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 01-29-2018, 07:13 AM   #8

Picture of faulty twin mini 15 amp breaker pulled out before removing wire from it. Notice top broken out and restriction tab missing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3271.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	161168

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 01-29-2018, 07:25 AM   #9

This is how that exact breaker should look like, even though it should still not be used in that particular location in the panel. The lower breaker in picture is how the upper breaker should look like. Unfortunately still not meant to be used in these panel boxes on the inverter side. The same company does make a breaker that fits that area without the restriction tab. It costs about 4 times as much as the one used. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3286.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	161172

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 01-29-2018, 07:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
Picture of faulty twin mini 15 amp breaker pulled out before removing wire from it. Notice top broken out and restriction tab missing.

Attachment 161168

Your lawyer is gonna have a field day with that video. Of course, the manufacturer is gonna say that it didn't happen at their factory. That's why the lawyers get the big bucks.

45 year Licensed Master Electrician.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Your lawyer is gonna have a field day with that video. Of course, the manufacturer is gonna say that it didn't happen at their factory. That's why the lawyers get the big bucks.

45 year Licensed Master Electrician.
Cavie I wasn't really looking to travel that road. I was hoping that Forest River would step up to the plate and do the right thing for possibly all the others out there like this. Like I said I know of at least one other, a 2015 model found in the same condition as mine ( less the arcing ) but just a matter of time IMO before that could raise it's ugly head. I was a little turned off by their ( FR ) response to me though !!

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 01-29-2018, 08:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
Cavie I wasn't really looking to travel that road. I was hoping that Forest River would step up to the plate and do the right thing for possibly all the others out there like this. Like I said I know of at least one other, a 2015 model found in the same condition as mine ( less the arcing ) but just a matter of time IMO before that could raise it's ugly head. I was a little turned off by their ( FR ) response to me though !!
I can understand you not wanting to go down that road. What happens when this causes a fire and someone is killed. The Olympic doctor would still be doing examinations if someone had not gone down that road. Just sayin'

PS. They put your $$$$$$$$ investment at risk!!!
Old 01-29-2018, 08:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I can understand you not wanting to go down that road. What happens when this causes a fire and someone is killed. The Olympic doctor would still be doing examinations if someone had not gone down that road. Just sayin'

PS. They put your $$$$$$$$ investment at risk!!!
Yeah, I hear what you're saying there also. I'd hate to see someone's rig go down in flames with potential for loss of life.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 01-29-2018, 08:52 AM   #14

it's called a TANDEM breaker, which is designed to allow for two separate lines/breakers within a single breaker slot the breaker box(to save space, obviously)... certainly legal, but the 'broken' one you show does not look good, regardless.

not too long after getting our new Palazzo, and being in the August heat of Texas, running both air conditioners and everything else, we kept popping individual air conditioner breakers, even though we were on shore power... after some aggravation, and not understanding why the INDIVIDUAL breakers would trip, since they are certainly designed for the amperage from each ac unit, I removed the back of the breaker box. I found at least one, if I remember correctly, of the air conditioner breakers to have a 'loose' wire in the breaker, allowing the wiring to work at first when the wire was 'cool', but loosing it's connection/arcing, tripping the breaker, when the wire became hotter due to the amperage. Apparently either these wire connections are not tightly applied at the factory, or they can work themselves loose after initial usage. After tightening, we've had no more issues since.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:09 AM   #15

it's called a TANDEM breaker, which is designed to allow for two separate lines/breakers within a single breaker slot the breaker box(to save space, obviously)... certainly legal, but the 'broken' one you show does not look good, regardless.

I'm fully aware of the breakers use and different names for them. The panels used in our Berks to not allow this type of breaker ( MP1515 ) to be used on the inverter side of panel ( unless of course you alter it ). There is another model TANDEM that can be used in that area though.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40

Tags
berkshire, recall