Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2016, 09:53 PM   #21

Thanks everyone! I really like the 38a, but I'm leaning towards the 400BH. I like the living space and as silly as it sounds the refrigerator that comes with it. I really want the ice and water center, lol.
edmonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:00 PM   #22

You can not beat a bunkhouse with kids

They have their own space and we are not having to constantly rearrange to living space in order to allow them to sleep

The bunk DVD players are also a huge plus
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmonh View Post
Thanks everyone! I really like the 38a, but I'm leaning towards the 400BH. I like the living space and as silly as it sounds the refrigerator that comes with it. I really want the ice and water center, lol.
We have the Berkshire XL 40BH 380 with 3 kids and overall we are very happy with it, and I do recommend it for a family of five. There are so many positives that outweigh the negatives I'm going to share with you. I just want to give you the benefit of our first-hand knowledge of the "sleepers" as labeled in the Berk materials so that you don't fall victim to the same misunderstanding and suffer the same disappointment that we did. In my opinion, there needs to be a standard for manufacturers/dealers to label something as a "sleeper."

We read all of the brochures, talked to multiple dealers, and were very excited about what we thought was a unit that would comfortably sleep all of our children into adulthood and their occasional guests. However, at our PDI, we were very disappointed when we opened the L-shaped sofa and love seat. Based on their descriptions as sleepers, we had expected to be able to comfortably sleep at least one teen/adult on them. This is not possible. My son is too big at 4 to sleep on the love seat. It is a jacknife versus an airbed (which it should be and which we were told it was by a major dealer in TX) and the dimensions are absurd for it to be labeled a "sleeper." The L-shaped sofa may be able to sleep a child until 10ish. It jacknifes to a very short depth (about the same as the love seat pictured) and you can really only sleep along the length of the outer wall until the curve. Most older children and adults cannot fit. You can choose an air bed option versus the L-shaped sofa to correct this, but you lose the benefit of better TV viewing and more seating in doing so. The choice between the L-shaped for relaxing in the evening or the sofa bed for sleeping is a personal one, but I just wanted you to know not to trust the "sleeper" labels as I wish I had before making our purchase.

With all of that said, I have not yet found a MH that offers perfection and the 40BH is a wonderful choice. If they'd convert either one of the jackknives into folding airbeds the 40BH would be as close as you can get to perfect for our family. The way it is we make due. With the L portion of the sofa pushed in at bedtime, there is room to inflate and use a twin airbed on the floor. My son uses a toddler bed that fits inside the L space now, and we have the airbed for guests and for him when he gets older.

Now if only they'd make those changes and retrofit my unit!

I hope that this will be helpful to you in making your decision and/or setting your expectations.

Enjoy yours when you get it,
NewBerkFamily
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Berk Loveseat.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	97507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Henry's Berk Bed.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	97508  
Old 01-09-2016, 09:24 PM   #24

I agree with your sleeping issues. The 390bh layout with couch and apposing couch is a much better layout. The couch is a regular queen bed that we put a 2" memory fome pad on, which stores under couch. I do wish our loveseat was a jackknife, as that would fold out to cinnect with couch while driving. The kids loved that in out old Fleetwood Storm.

Mike & Amy + 3 and the dogs!
2014 berkshire 390bh-40
mikeborny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:17 AM   #25

Question: in my Georgetown I have issues with the leather couch and captains chair showing a lot of wear despite not having much use. Based on everyone's experience do you feel the quality of the leather furniture in the Berkshire is good quality? Has anyone experience wear on the leather? One of the reasons I'm looking to upgrade is to get a better quality coach. Thanks again!
edmonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:14 AM   #26

Quote:
Question: in my Georgetown I have issues with the leather couch and captains chair showing a lot of wear despite not having much use. Based on everyone's experience do you feel the quality of the leather furniture in the Berkshire is good quality? Has anyone experience wear on the leather? One of the reasons I'm looking to upgrade is to get a better quality coach. Thanks again!
So far we have not seen any wear, but we only took delivery in late September and have about 6000 miles on it. I have not been in a Georgetown lately for comparison and wish I could be more helpful. My kids are young (9,9 and 4) and are careless and clueless about keeping thing nice like most kids their age. My son crawls all over the back of the couch/dinette going back and forth. So far, despite many meals at the dinette and their normal activity, it still looks brand new.

You mentioned the refrigerator before and that combined with the pantry is a godsend for a family of five. I believe that the 40BH is the only bunk model that gives you both and it was one of the reason that we chose it (plus the increased insulation and higher HP option).
Old 01-10-2016, 08:20 AM   #27

Best layout for families

Quote:

You're seeing wear because it's pleather, not leather. Flexsteel calls it something "Ultra-something". Whatever they call it, it's still crap!

Paul
2014 390 BH-60
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unltd. Sahara
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:02 PM   #28

I remember several years ago (even before I bought my '08 Berkshire) we were at a RV show. We sat in the coach with one of the salesmen and he said that the 'pleather' is tougher than real leather and would withstand wear well. NOT!! I guess that old saying of 'how do you know a salesman is lying? If his lips are moving' holds true. I had some wear on the arms of my '08 but not that much.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:16 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
I will text you and let you know what they have at the show. Either that or I will post a pic for you on Facebook. We won't forget about you and Anne-Marie, don't worry!
You're a sweetie Karen! Thanks!!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:30 PM   #30

Quote:
Bob,
You can get the dealership to remove the "RVIA Seal" price. That seal is paid for by the RV Manufacturers. It certifies that the RV is safe and compliant. Some dealerships try to sneak in that "extra fee". But really it is a bogus charge. Also the "RV PREP" fee shouldn't be charged to the customer. RV manufacturers pay to have that RV prepped by the dealership for sale. (Things like making sure there are no stray screws laying around, tripping or injury hazards inside coach or seat belts that have come loose from the wall etc.) The dealership should not get paid for it and then turn around and charge the customer for it. That is called "Double Dipping". In 2011 a couple of dealerships were sued for charging that fee.
When you are on an RV lot, mention that lawsuit to the dealership, it is amazing how quick that fee is removed!
Karen

Appreciate the info AND Ammo Karen
Old 01-10-2016, 04:31 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbailey13 View Post
LazyDays has an XLT 43B on the lot in Tampa.

It is listed for $294k

That is Charleston Pricing. ]
Nope, that is Lazy Days pricing

Quote:
we were really surprised at LazyDays' prices when we were shopping for our RV. There really isn't any excuse to be 7-8 thousand dollars above everybody else's price! Unless "the Crown Club" means William and Kate come with the coach as my driver and maid!!
Karen
LOL Karen. I agree! I don't know HOW Lazy Days stays in business they are so overpriced it is ridiculous!
Old 01-10-2016, 04:37 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBerkFamily View Post
We have the Berkshire XL 40BH 380 with 3 kids and overall we are very happy with it, and I do recommend it for a family of five. There are so many positives that outweigh the negatives I'm going to share with you. <SNIP>

Now if only they'd make those changes and retrofit my unit!

<SNIP>
NewBerkFamily
Something to consider is there are several RV Furniture factories in Elkhart - I'll bet they have units you can swap out so you can get a "real" sleeper loveseat. Not so sure about the L Shaped couch though.

Here is one of the furniture dealers website:
https://www.braddandhall.com/productcart/pc/home.asp

Hope this helps
Old 01-12-2016, 11:17 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Something to consider is there are several RV Furniture factories in Elkhart - I'll bet they have units you can swap out so you can get a "real" sleeper loveseat. Not so sure about the L Shaped couch though.

Here is one of the furniture dealers website:
https://www.braddandhall.com/productcart/pc/home.asp

Hope this helps
Thanks BamaBob - we have been looking online to try to find one that can match the fabric and make one small enough to fit. We have a wonderful dealer that we bought our Berk from and they have been working with us to try to right all issues. This is a tough one, unfortunately. It's not quite a twin size and I think it's going to have to be custom made.