Old 03-11-2015, 12:50 AM   #1

Bike Rack for Berkshire

I've found that you can constantly find a used listing for a quality 4 bike carrier until the week you really want to own one. Add to the angst many bike rack makers tell you not to use their carrier on the back of any trailer or towed vehicle. Of course, you see Jeeps towed with bikes on the back all the time, but there's probably some liability issue they would rather avoid. After reading many reviews on Amazon, I pulled the trigger on a Hollywood Racks HR1400

Sport Rider 4 bike rack, 4 bike capacity bike racks, hitch rack, bicycle carriers - Hollywood Racks

Amazon was priced about $399 with 2 day Prime shipping. Had 150+ reviews and a rating of 4.5 stars. I have bikes on it now with wheels from 24 to 29" without a problem.

A few notable pros and cons, mainly for talking points.
PROS:
With the family I have an assortment of bikes in sizes and shapes. The hanging racks always look haphazard to me, this seems to be a nice clean way to carry an assortment of bikes.

This is built as a 2 bike carrier + a 2 bike extension.

It fits my 2014 Berkshire with zero hitch extension required* * I did turn one set of handlebars 90 deg to clear the radiator door.

It can also tilt up and lock vertical on the Berkshire when not in use. I do think I'd run a bungee on it to keep it from hitting radiator doors on a hard bounce.

Seems strong and stable, as per the reviews. Has a hitch anti-rattle system built in, and they also include a 7' locking bike cable keyed the same ss the provided locking hitch pin.

CONS:

Built stout, therefore heavy. nearly 90# before you put a bike on it. As per other reviews, tilting this down for tailgate access with bikes on would be a 2 person job if managed to do it.

Steel racks tend to rust, so a can of Krylon will stay close for touch ups.

For carbon fiber frames, a rack that only holds bike by wheel (wheel clamp vs. frame clamp) is preferred. Not an issue for our camp bikes so I didn't let that be the deal breaker.

I have only had it on the Berkshire for 1100 miles, but the bikes were easy to secure and seemed to travel well. I did hit "that dip" on I-20 at a bridge on the west side Jackson MS that provided a test for catastrophic failure.

Anyway, it's bolted on and a keeper so here are a few pics. I'll try it out on the Jeep when I get home.

PICS: The angles are a little misleading but the bikes are not extending beyond the width of the RV on either side.

Gottawonder

Gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:13 PM   #2

Bike Rack for Berkshire

You can ace

Old 03-11-2015, 05:20 PM   #3

Can you hook up a jeep to the back of the bicycle frame and if so check good pic. But I have a Jeep and have a bike rack that goes over the Jeeps tire. That works pretty darn good. But I only haul 2 bikes. And can see it in my rear view camera. So I can keep a 👀 on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-12-2015, 10:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by outloud View Post
Can you hook up a jeep to the back of the bicycle frame and if so check good pic. But I have a Jeep and have a bike rack that goes over the Jeeps tire. That works pretty darn good. But I only haul 2 bikes. And can see it in my rear view camera. So I can keep a 👀 on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
No, this is not something you'd attach a tow bar to. I will install this on my Jeep to see how it works out with the spare tire when I get home. There are some carriers that either clamp on to your hitch or let you tow with them in the middle. I suspect I'd have to mod my existing hitch extension for a clamp-on. That wasn't happening before this trip.

I suspect most of the time I'll only need 3 bikes, so if I was towing the Jeep I'd have the option of removing the 2 bike extension, put 2 on back of Jeep and toss the third one in the back of the Jeep.

Gottawonder
Gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire, bike, bike rack