Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2017, 07:44 AM   #21
Geno

Does anyone know where the vent pipe filter is located on the Forest River Berkshire BH for the toilet. I found the one for the washer and the kitchen sink.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

Geno
allman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:53 AM   #22

Filter? Youroo!!
Old 07-17-2017, 10:20 AM   #23

The pipe filter you are referring to are vacuum break devices. They allow water to stay in the P trap when there is a long distance to the tank. On the BH models the bathroom sink is near the vent pipe so they do not use one. You found the only 2 in a bunkhouse model. They do dry out and allow tank odors back into the coach.
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:33 AM   #24

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Open vent window

Usually there is a small vent window just opposite the "JOHN" room that should be open when running the bath vent fan or the kitchen vent fan over the stove. The window nearest the stove should be open about 1-2" when running the stove
vent fan.

RV's are so air tight when all the windows are closed that when running a vent fan where in bath or kitchen air has to be drawn from somewhere.

Water in drain traps prevents air from being pulled from the drains. But for
the "WATER CLOSET" (commode) has a straight drop to the black tank, therefore when you step on flush valve with vent running for bath or kitchen foul air will be drawn up through the toilet.

My RV has a small oval window just across the hall from the toilet I open about 1-2" and leave open.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:48 AM   #25
Dragonship Captain

[QUOTE=DAISY BOYKIN;1565834RV's are so air tight when all the windows are closed that when running a vent fan where in bath or kitchen air has to be drawn from somewhere.[/QUOTE]

Well, there's enough leaking going on around my slides that "air tight" is not exactly an applicable description. There's a few spots I stuff a small towel when we're parked for a longer period. Cuts down on the traffic noise.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnsc View Post
The pipe filter you are referring to are vacuum break devices. They allow water to stay in the P trap when there is a long distance to the tank. On the BH models the bathroom sink is near the vent pipe so they do not use one. You found the only 2 in a bunkhouse model. They do dry out and allow tank odors back into the coach.
I'm not familiar with this vacuum break. Is this something that is simple to find and replace?? I have a 390BH as well.
CT Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:50 PM   #27

They are located right after the P trap at the drain water flows down. They are a black cylinder with a closed top that has either a slit or holes in the top. They screw into the piping system and have a rubber diaphragm inside that lets water flow out and down the drain pipe while leaving water in the P trap by letting air into the drain system. On a 390 BH there is one behind the washing machine which you can access through the panel in closet on left side towards the back. The other is under the kitchen sink. You can buy replacements at Lowes or Home Depot.
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:44 PM   #28

I just had a similar problem 2 weeks ago. I found that our smell was coming up through the toilet. If you have a Thetford toilet and the bowl is not holding water; check the gasket in the bowl. Gaskets wear out over time and when they do, the black tank odor comes into the coach through the bowl. It's a pretty simple repair. Two bolts holding the toilet base to the floor and two bolts holding the base to the bowl. Google YouTube for a step by step video. Good Luck!
lewiska is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank