Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2014, 09:23 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
That's what you would think, but the owner of my dealership told me "you wouldn't believe how many units we've had come in here with the tanks blown out from not opening the valve when using the flusher." I know, it doesn't seem to make sense. But I'm not taking any chances. Mine even has a warning sticker on the flusher inlet to open the valve before use. So there ya go...

I would assume the the sticker is in place from keeping it closed and filling the tank full, which would cause a larger issue.

Following the logic of keeping the valve open, you would then need to have you better half open the valve when you flush inside the coach...
Old 10-29-2014, 09:25 AM   #22

I believe that the warning to open the valve when using the flusher is so that you don't forget about the water running through the flusher into the tank and over flow the tank. If you are concerned, then just go in and open the flush valve on the toilet. That would relieve any pressure.

Earl, I guess that you typed a little faster than I did in replying to taranwanderer! LOL!!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #23

I always close my valve when using the black tank flush so my tank fills up and cleans it better.... I usually close and open it three to four times until the water is clear coming out of the tank. If I just use the black tank flush without closing the valve, it doesn't clean the tank very well.

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
I'm not sure why you need to blow out the black tank flush. Isn't it open (I know there is a spray head) on the end in the tank and if it were to freeze, wouldn't the water just be pushed out the spray nozzle end?
That's what I think, too. Same with the city water connection. Don't know how you'd pump antifreeze into those even if you wanted to.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTN8 View Post
I always close my valve when using the black tank flush so my tank fills up and cleans it better.... I usually close and open it three to four times until the water is clear coming out of the tank. If I just use the black tank flush without closing the valve, it doesn't clean the tank very well.

Jason
This is exactly what my dealer told me NOT to do. I think it has to do with the pressure. When you flush the toliet normally, water is gravity draining down into your tank--there's not enough pressure generated to do any harm. But with the black tank flusher, you're creating a low volume, high pressure stream into the tank, and I guess it could, under less than ideal conditions, cause you to blow a tank seal or seam. Again, it seems very remote. But if the factory saw fit to put a sticker on there telling me to open my drain valve, and my dealer also strongly advised me to open my drain valve, I'm gonna open my drain valve when I use the flusher.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:30 PM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
This is exactly what my dealer told me NOT to do. I think it has to do with the pressure. When you flush the toliet normally, water is gravity draining down into your tank--there's not enough pressure generated to do any harm. But with the black tank flusher, you're creating a low volume, high pressure stream into the tank, and I guess it could, under less than ideal conditions, cause you to blow a tank seal or seam. Again, it seems very remote. But if the factory saw fit to put a sticker on there telling me to open my drain valve, and my dealer also strongly advised me to open my drain valve, I'm gonna open my drain valve when I use the flusher.
Black tank is vented so I'm not sure how this could happen.
Unless of course the vent is blocked or plugged.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:17 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Black tank is vented so I'm not sure how this could happen.
Unless of course the vent is blocked or plugged.

Turbs

I agree, I have done this method with both motorhomes, three fifth wheels and a travel trailers that I have owned and never had an issue. I know all of my buddies do the same method and also never had an issue. As earlier stated, I believe the sticker is there to prevent over flowing and making a mess!

Jason
Old 10-29-2014, 05:28 PM   #28
2011 Berkshire 390BH

I shut mine closed for 5 minutes at a time while flushing. I think the warning as previously stated is so you don't forget what you are doing, get interrupted, and then water and stuff starts to flow out the vent on the roof. I have read several posts here and on other forums of this happening to others.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:39 PM   #29

Jason did you get this issue resolved?
Old 10-30-2014, 06:57 PM   #30

Camping this weekend for hollowed so i was going to try and hook the hose up to the tank flush and see if it un clogs itself. If not I'll take it off Sunday when I get home and see if it is clogged or something else. Been so busy I swear there is never time to do anything!! LOL!!

Jason

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2014 Berkshire 390BH
2011 cadillac SRX
Old 11-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #31

Update to original issue. While camping I tried to clear the tank flush nozzle out by leaving the water supply turned on but no joy fixing it. Last night I took the white cover off on the water compartment on the passenger side and the tank flush valve was mounted right there on top of the black tank. I removed the nozzle and it was definitely clogged! All of the holes where clogged up and there was sludge inside the nozzle. I cleaned the nozzle out and put it back in the tank and sealed it all up. Works like new!!!

I believe it got clogged while traveling with a almost full black tank. I left Charlotte motor speedway after 4 days of dry camping in the infield and drove about 3.5 hours before I was able to dump the tank. While dumping is when I noticed it was working and never had an issue before this. I believe the tank was pretty full and from driving around and the nozzle in waste, it got clogged. Just my opinion but who knows...

Jason
Old 11-12-2014, 01:59 PM   #32

All of the holes where clogged up and there was sludge inside the nozzle.

Ya it was sludge. That makes it sound so much better. My bet is it didn't make it smell any better.
Glad you got it fixed and the cause of the problem makes since. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:10 PM   #33

Phil, yes, sludge sounded much better than what was really in there!! LOL!!!

Jason
Old 11-12-2014, 03:40 PM   #34

Glad you were able to fix it, sad you had to deal with "sludge"...lol

Tags
tank