Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2016, 11:29 PM   #1

Boondocking question about generator

While running off the generator generator goes to kick into a higher speed and the TV goes off, I don't understand, don't know what to check,
Thanks for the help
jmgllt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:52 PM   #2

I am not sure what you mean by "kick into a higher speed." Generators are generally constant RPM machines, perhaps you mean throttle up, meaning the load has changed and the generator is trying to follow it and adjust the throttle to maintain rpm. Do you have an inverter as well and what happens to anything else that is running on 120 volts when this happens? For example, if you have a residential refrigerator, does it drop out for a short time?

If your TV is only powered by shore power or generator and obviously you aren't on shore power, it will quit if the transfer switch or the generator voltage drops off. If the problem is the transfer switch, the generator will instantaneously see all of the loads drop out and it will rev up a little until the governor brings the RPM back down.

You need to find out if the 120 volt power is dropping out when this happens. Most TVs will run on at least 100 to 120 volts since Japan uses 100 volts rather than 120, so it has to be "no voltage" rather than low voltage but turning something else on will help diagnose the problem. Electric fireplace, table lamp, something that will indicate that all of the 120 has stopped rather than just the TV.

In addition, what happens next. Does the TV come back or what? Do you have to restart the generator or what.

I also assume that the generator continues to run but the TV doesn't. There are breakers in your panel and breakers on the generator.

Need a little more information to point you in the right direction.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:23 AM   #3

Yes it is throttling up. This problem just started never had it happen before. The TV goes off stays off for just a couple of minutes then it comes back on and it happens again not really sure what is going on also the magnum panel is showing or flashing fault.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:47 AM   #4

Could be a lot of things but hopefully someone with a Berk will chime in. The Magnum will throw error codes for a lot of things. I don't know how your coach is wired but I will assume that the TV is plugged into the Magnum and it is an inverter charger. That would mean that it decides itself whether to power the TV from genny or shore power and the inverter section. It is clearly unhappy about something and perhaps is where the problem lies. If if dropped the genny for some reason, that would explain the load change and what you are hearing from the generator.

It may be misleading but I would start with the fault and work from there. I notice that you can do a reset on the Magnum to clean out the fault code. Do other things that are powered directly from shore and genny and not inverter run well? If so the problem would seem to be in the Magnum.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:08 AM   #5

Ok update got home went on shore power, fault is gone and all is good. Could it be just overloaded and never cleared the fault?
Old 02-01-2016, 09:57 AM   #6

JM, I occasionally have the same problem with my living area tv's. I'm not sure why it happens but I found out that if I unplug the tv for a few seconds and then plug them back in, the problem goes away. In my coach I have 2 tv's in the living area. I unplug the TV that is mid-coach to fix the problem.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:07 AM   #7

Did RPM raise? If so the generator is probably unloading/not generating. Next you need to figure out if the generator stopped producing power or the demand for power stopped. If the demand stopped probably something with the magnum versus the generator. I hope this helps narrow it down.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
Did RPM raise? If so the generator is probably unloading/not generating. Next you need to figure out if the generator stopped producing power or the demand for power stopped. If the demand stopped probably something with the magnum versus the generator. I hope this helps narrow it down.
Is it likely that the water heater is on electric and when it kicks in it is throwing everything in to overload and shutting down a system or two or all.

Seems like rpm or engine load only changes abruptly when overload is thrown on it or load is suddenly removed.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Is it likely that the water heater is on electric and when it kicks in it is throwing everything in to overload and shutting down a system or two or all.

Seems like rpm or engine load only changes abruptly when overload is thrown on it or load is suddenly removed.

He doesn't have an electric water heater. It is LP only.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:48 PM   #10

We have an 8k generator so overload is not probable.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:33 PM   #11

Boondocking question about generator

This happened to mine last year, ended up being the cooling fan on the inverter stopped working and would cause the fault when it got too hot. Only did it with the generator, never shore power. I was dry camping in Daytona at the time for the 500 and called magnum. They recommended a guy and I called him up. He said if I delivered the inverter he'd cover it under warranty but if he came to take it out of have to pay a service fee. I pulled it out, delivered it to him. Had it back that evening with a new fan. They are cheap computer like cooling fans that burn up or seize and that's what caused it.

Jason

2014 Berkshire 390BH
2011 Cadillac SRX (toad)
FB
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator