Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2015, 10:20 PM   #1

Brake controller on Berk ?

Hi guy's I know this has been covered before ,But i'm stuck. Trying to install a Drawtite (Model 5100 ) electric brake controller on my '16 Berkshire using the 4128 pigtail from US Gear. Every time i apply the brakes I blow the fuse on the pigtail. The Pigtail is wired per their instructions. Trailer brakes work fine with my pickup so I believe the trailers ok. It act like a short somewhere and I have checked the harness at the hitch but I didn't find anything. Has anyone had the same problem when installing a brake controller. Thanks. Bill 52
bill52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:01 PM   #2

First off, welcome to the Berkshire forum and family. I'm not familiar with that model brake controller but I do agree it sounds like you have a short or ground fault somewhere in the system. I suggest taking the plug apart to see if maybe a couple of wires are touching each other.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:14 PM   #3

Not familiar with this, so excuse my ignorance, but are you using this to tow a trailer?

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:24 PM   #4

Bill,
Can't help you with your problem but wanted to welcome you to the Forums! Congrats on your new Berkshire and hope you have many fun, memorable and trouble free trips with it!!
I'm sure that someone here will be able to help you with your problem. There are many friendly and knowledgeable people here so keep checking the Forums and asking your questions.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:13 PM   #5

I can't help either but will join Tom in welcoming you to the forum. Congrats on the nice rig.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:38 PM   #6

I'm towing a enclosed bike trailer , Hi Phil it good to meet you guys in Michigan Enjoying our coach looking forward to getting on the road .
Old 11-29-2015, 10:31 PM   #7

Hey Bill, forgot to welcome you myself. I grew up fairly close to where you live. Enjoy your Berk. It's a great coach.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill52 View Post
I'm towing a enclosed bike trailer , Hi Phil it good to meet you guys in Michigan Enjoying our coach looking forward to getting on the road .

Oh that Bill.lol. Great to see you in the forum. Well if you need a brake controller you must have gotten your trailer. Would you please post some pictures of that. I think everyone will want to see the paint job. Again great that you joined in here. A great bunch of people with lots of help.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:46 PM   #9

I don't have a Berk, but some questions test tips should help. Have you had trailer plugged into MH? Did all lights work, run, turn, 4 way? If all worked but blew fuse when brakes applied, then check wiring at the plug on MH. I have seen where a piece of wire touched another contact to cause a short. This may get you in the ball park.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:20 PM   #10

Bill52, on my Berk, I found the Tekonsha Prodigy RF. Part # 90250 to be the best for all of us fighting the brake control wiring harness mess. No controller mounted on dash and such. You'll say hey. That's the cats meow. Also get you one of those things that you plug into your TV trailer plug. It will tell you if all the wiring is correct on TV before you start chasing the rabbit. All is well in Texas
Sand dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:47 PM   #11

Ok thanks will try
Old 12-01-2015, 01:39 PM   #12

Did you use the use the U.S. gear 4128 pig tail with your controller.(maybe the controller I have is not compatible) thanks for all the help, i'm sort of a noobe soon to be winter texan.

Tags
brake control, controller, brakes