Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2019, 11:11 PM   #1
Dragonship Captain

Brake replacement intervals.

We have a state inspection in PA. Through a friend of a friend in the business I was referred to a shop that does over 25,000# inspections.

The guy could not have been nicer. Not only that but he was a motorhome owner himself and had a genuine interest in my coach. We talked maintenance and specs and all that while he was doing the inspection which was more than fair and totally non invasive.

When he was done I asked him whether I could watch, learn and ask questions when I needed brakes and brought it in to him. (I was planning on doing it myself but this seemed like too good an opportunity to pass up to gain extra knowledge....)

He said:

"I hate to tell you this, but you are never going to put brakes on this. The brakes that are on here are supposed to last 100 to 200K miles on semis..... The way you drive you will never wear them out...."

Interesting. I hope he's right. I'm still going to go in there at some point just because, but it's encouraging.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:40 AM   #2

Its funny how in PA they require a very good safety inspection, NJ is a joke any more all they do is emissions.

Good info on the breaks- I think most of the chassis parts will outlast the rest of the rv. I think most will fail from lack of use.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:59 AM   #3
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-g View Post
Its funny how in PA they require a very good safety inspection, NJ is a joke any more all they do is emissions.

Good info on the breaks- I think most of the chassis parts will outlast the rest of the rv. I think most will fail from lack of use.
Yeah, the inspection inconsistencies have me scratching my head too.

Agreed, a lot of these buses wear from sitting. Especially the close to the ground parts get corroded and all that. Running them is good.

Friend is shopping for a used one... Keeps coming up with 10-12 year old coaches with 12,000 miles on them. Then he's surprised when I go: "You better get a REALLY good inspection on that chassis." I'll take 60K with a folder full of maintenance evidence any day.

I'm at 24K in just over 2 years, with no signs of slowing down.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:20 AM   #4

The wide variation in state safety inspections (if they have a program at all) is not the biggest head scratcher.

When it's time to have the brakes replaced you never really know if the person doing so is a well trained tech or just someone that never graduated from high school and just replaces brake parts by trial and error until he gets it right.

One of the most important safety devices on your vehicle but with no uniform standards across the country on who, and how, they get serviced.

Emission techs need to be certified but if your emission system isn't serviced properly the air just stinks. When brake systems fail due to improper service people can die.

Ditto for steering system repair and alignment.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:30 PM   #5

NJ doesn't do emissions tests on RV's or vehicles over a certain weight.

ceedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:17 PM   #6

my Palazzo, on the Freightliner XCS chassis, has over 90,000 miles and no brake issues whatsoever, except for the dreaded 'squealing' when first braking in the morning after a night of humidity or dew(moisture in the air)...

apparently the S cam or cam rollers can be aggravated by this condition! Yikes!

actually, Freightliner in Gaffney suggested I replace them when I mentioned this way back at 20,000miles - but I deferred and suggested that I would just deal with an occasional squeal, versus a $200 bill.

The exhaust brake function is a terrific part of the system, and probably a big reason why these brakes last for so long.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:30 PM   #7
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
my Palazzo, on the Freightliner XCS chassis, has over 90,000 miles and no brake issues whatsoever, except for the dreaded 'squealing' when first braking in the morning after a night of humidity or dew(moisture in the air)...

apparently the S cam or cam rollers can be aggravated by this condition! Yikes!

actually, Freightliner in Gaffney suggested I replace them when I mentioned this way back at 20,000miles - but I deferred and suggested that I would just deal with an occasional squeal, versus a $200 bill.

The exhaust brake function is a terrific part of the system, and probably a big reason why these brakes last for so long.

The squeal is more likely the brake shoes/pads adsorbing moisture. My 2011 Silverado did the same thing under the same conditions. I haven't had the 2018 long enough to know if it does the same.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:32 PM   #8
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
When it's time to have the brakes replaced you never really know if the person doing so is a well trained tech or just someone that never graduated from high school and just replaces brake parts by trial and error until he gets it right.
Well if I do them myself, I will know that it's a College educated person that does research and trial by error until, indeed, I get it right.

If someone else touches my stuff I get to know them well enough first. Plenty of small operations where you can talk to the people doing the work.

My inspection was a case in point. Three bays, two sons and a cousin doing the work, octogenarian Dad in the office and don't mess with him. Nice people, very knowledgeable. I would trust them with my coach and with my wallet.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:34 PM   #9
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
The squeal is more likely the brake shoes/pads adsorbing moisture.
Yup. A little squealing never hurt anyone. Nothing worth getting your panties in a bunch over...... Certainly not worth spending money on, as there's no way to fix it.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
Well if I do them myself, I will know that it's a College educated person that does research and trial by error until, indeed, I get it right.

If someone else touches my stuff I get to know them well enough first. Plenty of small operations where you can talk to the people doing the work.

My inspection was a case in point. Three bays, two sons and a cousin doing the work, octogenarian Dad in the office and don't mess with him. Nice people, very knowledgeable. I would trust them with my coach and with my wallet.

Money and your coach are replaceable- your life is not!
Last summer a friend of my sons has a wheel lock up at 70mph causing one hell of a ride, mechanic did not tighten either front caliper, one locked the front wheel (wedged between rim and rotor)- upon inspection they found the other side loose.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:20 AM   #11
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-g View Post
Money and your coach are replaceable- your life is not!
Last summer a friend of my sons has a wheel lock up at 70mph causing one hell of a ride, mechanic did not tighten either front caliper, one locked the front wheel (wedged between rim and rotor)- upon inspection they found the other side loose.
Crap happens. It's one of the many reasons I do my own work. I get the chance to check, check, and double check as I am not on the clock. And, if it does go pear shaped I got no one to blame but myself.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
Crap happens. It's one of the many reasons I do my own work. I get the chance to check, check, and double check as I am not on the clock. And, if it does go pear shaped I got no one to blame but myself.
Indeed it does. But for those who can't do their own work, and have to pay good money to have it done, it's sad there is no standard that requires those who do the work for pay to actually be qualified. It's not like going to a Doctor, Dentist, Lawyer, or Public Accountant. Heck even the person cutting your hair in a barber shop/salon has to be trained and licensed.

Do brakes on anything from a Geo Metro to a Freightliner? Nope. Anyone can do 'em. Other sad thing is lots of public shops are way under-insured, carrying only the minimum required by terms of their business license.

Having retired from an industry where I got to walk through shops almost on a daily basis and watching various practices, today I take my vehicles to the vehicle dealer. I used to do the work myself but unfortunately I've turned over too many pages on the calendar and my physical abilities are not what they used to be. What the heck, last brake job on my Tow Vehicle was over 50k ago and at the last inspection I still have 50% remaining on front and 50% on rear. It could be years before they need to be replaced. Well worth what the dealer will charge versus a bargain job from a small shop.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:12 PM   #13

Ford Expedition - 90,000 mi - original brakes. Still much left. Now that I am older, I rarely use the brakes except to come to a full stop.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement