Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #1

btw, auto level is not so smart...

i parked at a parking lot rodeo at the sheriff's bbq this past weekend. it's anuneven asphalt parking lot.. fairly typical. no major pot holes, but definitely not where close to level.

my coach was leaning low to the left when i first parked it. got out and put several inches of wood under the jacks, put about 1" more on the left side jacks to help level it out. went inside and hit the auto level button. tried 6 times, each time putting more wood under the side that it seems to need. each time, the error of excessive slope just blinks at me. the rear tires got lifted off the ground so i knew this was not going to work at all... the computer just wanted to go higher and higher with each adjustment till it ran out of adjustment... it never once measured where the highpoint was and leveled off that...

i filled up a pitcher of water in a clear container and put it on the countertop. i manuall dropped the legs till they touched the wood and got some resistance. then i manually adjusted each side till the coach was leveled based on the water inside the water pitcher. i leveled it out perfectly without any tires leaving the ground...

morale of the story, don't rely on that auto-level button.... it's not that smart...
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #2

himcules,

If you have an Equalizer system setting the null might help. Look at page 3 of this publication and try that. It might help.

Good Luck
AREA51
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FRD - AutoLevel Operation Guide- General 3-2012 doc.pdf (2.38 MB, 98 views)
AREA51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #3

himcules,
When I first got my coach, I leveled it on my driveway (did this by putting a small round level in the middle of the freezer because many years ago I learned that the freezer plate is what should be level). I then purchased 2 small bubble levels. They are each about 1.5 " long. I believe I got them at a store like Campingworld. I mounted one on the side wall over where the refrigerator is toward the front of the coach and one on the wall over the front over refrigerator. When I level the coach, I use these to make sure that I am level. They make it very easy to tell when you are level and if not, where you need to raise or lower to make it level.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #4

Is it possible that the memory level was cleared..? I hope you stored the level memory again...had to help a friend this weekend who cleared the memory by pressing to many buttons...or the wrong buttons in the right order...lol

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himcules View Post
each time, the error of excessive slope just blinks at me.

That was my second tip-off that I'd run a ram through a jack pad. Other than that, my auto level works perfectly, first time, every time. I love it.

As to the pads, I finally got all four replaced on Saturday with the new beefed up ones. EQ Sys told me they'd been tested to 12K lbs. Hopefully the sudden collapses are a thing of the past (that's the FIRST tip-off, BTW)

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #6

We have a 2008 Georgetown 374 with a totally ignorant leveling system....I do not even use auto level anymore, just place leveling star unit by middle island and manually level..smart system continued to take front tires off ground 99% of the time!
ynott96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by puff View Post
Is it possible that the memory level was cleared..? I hope you stored the level memory again...had to help a friend this weekend who cleared the memory by pressing to many buttons...or the wrong buttons in the right order...lol
don't think so... i haven't erratically pressed any buttons. each time was press and wait till it stopped beeping at me and waited for the status light...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA51 View Post
himcules,

If you have an Equalizer system setting the null might help. Look at page 3 of this publication and try that. It might help.

Good Luck
AREA51
thanks, i have that same manual in the box of manuals and parts i got during the PDI.
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #8

I must have gotten a good one because it sets perfect every time. I don't even carry a level anymore.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I must have gotten a good one because it sets perfect every time. I don't even carry a level anymore.
Phil, since your coach is so close to mine, I suspect you have the same jack pads as I had, before I replaced them. In looking at the old ones, it was apparent to me that whenever the jacks are down, the weight is slowly enlarging the hole until it finally punches thru after awhile.

In other words two of mine punched thru, the others would have fairly soon as the holes were substantially enlarged.

Obviously I hope you don't have the problem, but were I you, I'd keep an eye on things. If it suddenly seems as a freight train has hit your coach, then you've just punched thru a pad!! The shocking thing is that my second one that failed was on the front; only supporting about 5K lbs.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote