Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2019, 09:53 AM   #1

Build Quality Opinion please

I know that the RV industry over all has been experiencing poor Quality Control issues. That being said, I had started thinking that if I were to purchase another 5th wheel that I would look older preowned. Give the posted warranty repair/claim times that have been experienced by others it would appear that a manufacture warranty would expire before all the needed repairs would be accomplished...again, I am speaking of reports pertaining to trailers and 5th wheel RV's.

When it comes to the Berkshire motorhome line, is the quality control as lacking as in the towable side of the building? I don't mind taking care of a few more minor trim issues or even having to snug up a water line connection. But I don't want to spend six figures on something that will be waiting on approval for repair, parts to be shipped or water intrusion IE: leaks that should never happen.

I also understand and accept the Freightliner side of the equation which is another world all of it's own. Been there, Done that, Broke down, and Towed that a few times on another brand Pusher.

We are getting ready to drive out to take a look at a XL and a heads up from those of you who have lived the life could surely offer some real world impute.

Second side of this post is: What is the going discount or percentage off of MSRP that would be considered a good to great price?

Thanks,

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:40 PM   #2

In my experience, quality is the same now as it was in the past. Most have minor issues, some have major issues. I do some sort of maintenance every trip and that was true w/ my pop up 15 years ago, my tt for the last decade and my 5er for the last 1 year.

My dealer did say that the glue used to hold the roof on is significantly different due to regulations and that was his biggest gripe about newer campers.

For pricing, in my experience, https://www.rvwholesalers.com/ and rvtrader.com will give you the going rate.

In my experience, that applies to all makes & models.

Hope that helps.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 04:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
In my experience, quality is the same now as it was in the past. Most have minor issues, some have major issues. I do some sort of maintenance every trip and that was true w/ my pop up 15 years ago, my tt for the last decade and my 5er for the last 1 year.

My dealer did say that the glue used to hold the roof on is significantly different due to regulations and that was his biggest gripe about newer campers.

For pricing, in my experience, https://www.rvwholesalers.com/ and rvtrader.com will give you the going rate.

In my experience, that applies to all makes & models.

Hope that helps.
I believe he was asking about the quality of the Berkshire motor home.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:30 PM   #4

We’ve a 2016 Berkshire XL 40A, which we purchased new two and a half years ago. We just got home two nights ago from a four month/6772 mile trip. We just turned 24,000 miles and both coach and chassis performed well. We had very few issues with the coach initially which Forest River Berkshire diesel division handled with us very well and professionally. During the trip we talked with four other Berkshire XL owners and all were pleased with their purchase. I did hear of one we never met who wasn’t but I did not meet them or hear why. I think any brand can have units that can have issues and units that don’t. You sound as though you are aware of that. We’d do another Berkshire absolutely, but have no intention of changing the unit we have for a long, long time if ever. For us, we’re very happy with the quality of the XL.
Ours was 35 percent off of msrp, but realize that msrp numbers can be a bit subjective with some dealers.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:16 PM   #5

RV quality

I've owned 3 Forest River products, all Rockwoods; a 2008 travel trailer, a 2010 5th wheel, and a 2014 5th wheel. Quality has been consistently good on all of them with an acceptable number of minor issues, mostly under warranty.

I've recently traded for a new motorhome from a different manufacturer. It comes with a 3 year bumper to bumper factory warranty plus longer warranties on engine, and transmission. Should be able to get most bugs worked out in that time frame.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:10 PM   #6

Berkshire Hathaway owns most of the manufacturing. Just look at the stock report.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:34 PM   #7

We have a 2018 Berkshire 38A. Very few problems...all minor. This is our fourth camper so I was prepared and went over the Berk with a fine tooth comb. After a very detailed PDR, I decided to skip the extended warranty and put the money in the bank. I'm very glad I did.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:36 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
Berkshire Hathaway owns most of the manufacturing. Just look at the stock report.
Help me to understand this.
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:39 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdad View Post
Help me to understand this.
Me too.
Thor Industries is quite a bit bigger, than Forest River Incorporated and Berkshire Hathaway has NO holdings in it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:46 PM   #10

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
They don’t pay dividends, I’m not interested.

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality