Old 07-15-2016, 11:27 AM   #11

Now that you've pointed it out, I notice it all the time. Thanks A LOT!!!

bb920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:22 PM   #12

Made first trip in 2017 38a this week, and I dont have a bump, but I do have one loud squeaking noise behind driver seat, and had someone brace against the refrig and it then goes away. I am going to try and wedge foam in between refrig and wall and see what happens. Noise is driving me crazy.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:32 PM   #13

Ok, I gave it one more try. After looking at the Schwintec videos and service manual (on-line), I tried to use some foam pipe insulation. I wedged it into the tiny cavity behind the seals, hoping it would insulate the axel from the "H" channel. However, I did not notice any improvement, but I could "twang" the axel inside the "H" channel, so I still think I am on the right track. The foam insulation eventually was spit out when I opened and closed the Schwintec slide.

When I place my hand on the slide wall, you can feel something banging on that wall. Folks, you only have to move the coach front or back about 1 or 2 feet to hear and feel something rapping on the wall. It is loud too. Like maybe 65 to 75 decibels, same as the radio.

OK, where is the Dremel tool. I removed the fridge. When I got in there I set the tool to 1/4" and removed two large circles from the interior wall panel that is not well secured. Another wall panel. I did not venture into that portion of the wall. I am ready to return to Elkhart. I wrote an email to Mitch Wirt and hope he will advise me on what is next. Thanks everyone for there input on this issue.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet19711 View Post
Made first trip in 2017 38a this week, and I dont have a bump, but I do have one loud squeaking noise behind driver seat, and had someone brace against the refrig and it then goes away. I am going to try and wedge foam in between refrig and wall and see what happens. Noise is driving me crazy.
Yes, I have been looking for that squeaking sound for months!! It's like Chinese water torture!! I will try bracing against the fridge to see if that is it. If it is, I owe you a beer!!
Thanks for the info!
Karen
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
Yes, I have been looking for that squeaking sound for months!! It's like Chinese water torture!! I will try bracing against the fridge to see if that is it. If it is, I owe you a beer!!
Thanks for the info!
Karen
Update: This may or may not work...

with the slide in, there are two backets on either side of the refrig, and there is a space between the refrig and the wall. When I move the refrig side to side that awful sound is there... if you push the bracket in towards the refrig and hold it there, that awful sound goes away. If you push the little clip in, there is little space between the clip and the clip retaining holder. (dont know if all these terms are correct) anyway, I stuck a little screw driver with the shaft taped in between the clip and the retaining holder. Moved refrig side to side and (no sound) took some foam and stuck between the refrig and the wall as well. Then went for a fuel trip of about 5mi each way.
the sound is gone....however speed was only no more than 40 mph. I will have to wait and see what happens on the big road.

I think that I am on the right track and screw driver is gonna be replaced with a round piece of wood. Everything should be removed before putting the slide out..
2016: days camped 60
2017: days camped 26
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:16 AM   #16

OK,

We, (FR and) Juniata Valley RV with me in the drivers seat, have identified the problem. It is, as mentioned in other posts, the long axle shaft that runs from the (top) Schwintec motor to the lower gear box. The tech at Juniata Valley RV placed his hand inside the "H" frame to secure the shaft while I drove the MH a little. This stopped the woodpecker noise.

I do not know of the fix yet, but I assume it will be a padding/insulating project to deaden the noise.

If they can't fix it the tech said he would come along with us to all of our outings and hold the shaft while I drive. I agreed, because we know that works, but I am a little worried that he may eat too much. He was a big boy.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:48 PM   #17

I believe I have found the banging in the wall noise. Yes it is the long slide drive shaft, but I believe it is hitting the long self drilling, self tapping screws used to secure the system in the wall. With the slide out I went outside pulled back the seal and could reach in with my fingers and strum the shaft like a guitar string, it produced the exact same banging noise. Inside along the drive shaft I could feel the tips of the screws from inside the coach. They were within a couple millimeters of the shaft. I confirmed this with a bore scope. I have changed to shorter screws and it appears may have a solution. I will know when we hit the road it go to the rally. (Fingers crossed)

Rick
Old 07-30-2016, 08:36 PM   #18

Dear Rick and Karen,

Great detective work. I passed your post on to Mitch Wirt and to our local dealer. I hope this become a eureka moment.

Bob and Linda Jeanmenne
Old 09-05-2016, 11:34 AM   #19

Road trip follow up

Changing the screws was a big improvement, banging noise cured. I can still hear the shaft flexing in the wall. I plan to fabricate a rubber damper to glue on the shaft to reduce that noise. I will pass alone if that works or not.

Rick
Old 09-10-2016, 08:55 AM   #20

Keep me posted Karen.

Chris & Carol
2016 Berkshire 38A
2014 Honda CRV

Blue Ox base plate & tow bar. Air Force one Braking system.
ccupton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise