Old 05-30-2014, 08:02 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

An actual photo would also help.

AS an FYI - Here is a photo of my shunt and monitor wires. Remember the shunt goes DIRECTLY to the farthest negative terminal of your battery bank (directly opposite of your farthest positive terminal). That way all current going to the battery bank is monitored by the shunt.

The battery wiring diagram if for 6 - 6 volt batteries; not 4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BattereiswiredinSeriesParallel.gif
Views:	111
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	53871   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2212.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	53872  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnsc View Post
What you will need is welding cable. There are many websites that will guide you to the right size
My jumper cables are made out of 0 gage welding lead.

If I wanted to redo the trailer I would use 4 gage.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:13 AM   #13

You might wanna use a caliper to measure the thickness of your existing positive cable so you can match it. 2/0 cable is probably what you need and you'll probably need a custom cut length with lugs swaged on.
Cross section of WIRE no insulation measurements:
00 (2/0) 0.3648 INCHES
Old 05-31-2014, 07:15 AM   #14
Site Team

I'm still confused.
Does a battery monitor act like an AMPmeter?? Does all the current that
is used go THROUGH the monitor??
Another way to ask-- is the monitor hooked to the batteries in
series or parallel?
(Just trying to get my head around this.....)
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
I'm still confused.
Does a battery monitor act like an AMPmeter?? Does all the current that
is used go THROUGH the monitor??
Another way to ask-- is the monitor hooked to the batteries in
series or parallel?
(Just trying to get my head around this.....)
1. Yes...it will show you amps in and amps out. It will also calculate remaining battery capacity and time remaining at PRESENT amp draw. Not just by +/- amp draw but by using Peukerts formula and knowing battery bank size which you enter. Of course it will also show voltage readings which is useful as you are charging...and it will show state of charge during charging so you know when you finally got to 100%. Also ...when you actually get to 50% it will show that rather than a ficticious voltage in use display...so you know when to recharge.

2. Almost NONE of the current goes through the monitor...it all goes through the shunt which the battery monitor telephone wire type cable plugs into. All negative wires go to the shunt. Then they pass through the small monitoring circuit which diverts a small amount of current ...then on to the other end of the shunt which a battery cable attaches to the negative battery post. The only wires which go to the monitor itself are the telephone type wire and a small red wire to the positive battery post for power.

If you are always plugged in somewhere, theres little need for this...but if you boondock it is the most useful tool you have to plan for your needs and charging routine and save your batteries from unmeditated murder!

Here's a picture of a nice clean install with the shunt on the top right.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:06 PM   #16

OK, here's a pic. Note TWO original cables on the left side of the shunt. One of these feeds the inverter, the other feeds all the 12 volt accs in the coach.

The right side of the shunt has the cable I added; it goes directly to the negative battery post. Note how much smaller it is. That is my question; will that smaller cable be a problem??

I have an identical setup on the positive leads, just using a huge terminal block instead of a shunt. Also, for further clarification: I have all cables that tie the 4 bats together in the proper configuration and the single positive and negative (new) cables are attached to diagonally opposite posts on the bat stack (as they should be).

The orange and blue wires are the battery monitoring "sense" wires.

Boowho??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140531_100010.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	53897  
Old 05-31-2014, 01:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
OK, here's a pic. Note TWO original cables on the left side of the shunt. One of these feeds the inverter, the other feeds all the 12 volt accs in the coach.

The right side of the shunt has the cable I added; it goes directly to the negative battery post. Note how much smaller it is. That is my question; will that smaller cable be a problem??

I have an identical setup on the positive leads, just using a huge terminal block instead of a shunt. Also, for further clarification: I have all cables that tie the 4 bats together in the proper configuration and the single positive and negative (new) cables are attached to diagonally opposite posts on the bat stack (as they should be).

The orange and blue wires are the battery monitoring "sense" wires.

Boowho??
I really do not see anything wrong with that for just a monitor. Unless I'm missing something, is it working?
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:42 PM   #18

YES IT IS A HUGE AND DANGEROUS PROBLEM. GET A CABLE the SAME SIZE as you are putting on the other end of the shunt.

GLJ...EVERY amp and volt bit of electric use is going through that shunt!! The monitor only sees a tiny bit through the blue wire....but must monitor all of it. Downsizing the cable is the equivilent of downsizing ALL the existing cables...like the ones at the other end of the shunt.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:55 PM   #19
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
YES IT IS A HUGE AND DANGEROUS PROBLEM. GET A CABLE the SAME SIZE as you are putting on the other end of the shunt.

GLJ...EVERY amp and volt bit of electric use is going through that shunt!! The monitor only sees a tiny bit through the blue wire....but must monitor all of it. Downsizing the cable is the equivilent of downsizing ALL the existing cables...like the ones at the other end of the shunt.
X2 Think of it like water, you have a three quarter inch hoe that delivers say 5 gallons a minute, you then add a tree eighths hose, how are you going to get that 5 gallons a minute. in the case of the reduced sized cable it will heat up and could eventually burn because it is over loaded, reducing cable size is never a great idea.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post

Okay Thanks Cam I can go for that. I thought it just showed his battery power left or charging. How come he just can't add it to the battery post? It's monitor if I understand it. But I guess I don't thanks for the correction and info as always...

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical