Old 04-27-2014, 10:16 AM   #1

Camp Freightliner

Just returned from Gaffney last week after attending the class. It was great! Also had some work done on the coach. For anyone attending, they can do a four corner coach weight and corresponding correct tire inflation. It was a huge difference from where I had my tire pressures set and made a dramatic difference in the ride. If you belong to Freightliner Chassis Owners Club, you get a discount on work done there. I'd recommend joining before if you're going to have work done there or at any other Oasis dealers because the savings will outweigh the cost of the membership in most cases. Mike Cody also teaches you in class how to figure correct tire inflation pressures among many other things. If you're fairly new to DP's, this class is extremely helpful. Mike has the specifics of your individual coach and will tailor comments to each coach individually, so you know what things are specific to your setup. Gained a new respect for Freightliner as a company. Also, stayed at the Gaffney KOA. It is one of the cleanest and nicest KOA's that I've stayed at. I highly recommend.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:43 AM   #2

That is a great class and Mike keeps it lite and entertaining. How did the weights come out? I know you have the "upgrade" so I'm sure you were well within the GCVW.
We are at Hidden Ridge for the summer. I think that's close to you?

Old 04-27-2014, 11:11 AM   #3

Phil, weights were LF 5280, RF 4840, LR 8620, RR 9480. Total weight 28220 with 3/4 fuel, 1/3 black tank, 1/3 grey, 2/3 fresh and most of the load we carry camping. Well under 31000 rated. With this, they set the rear pressures to 90 and the fronts to 100 (I had them all set to 110-115). I'll probably boost 5lbs. in the summer. I saw Hidden Ridge on 131 on my way back from Camping World in GR. Maybe we'll get up there a weekend in the summer to meet you guys.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:30 AM   #4

Good news in the weights. It's nice to know that you have extra capacity if needed. We are in 181 at Hidden Ridge. Stop by we would live to meet you also.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #5

I'm attending too...in May

I am having work done at the factory also. I note that if you are having work done, you can camp in the parking lot overnight. What amenities do they have for overnight camping? Hydro or dump station? I note that they want your tanks empty if you are being serviced, so I'm assuming they have a dump station for such purposes.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:16 PM   #6

I didn't stay on property, but I know that they have power. Had them leave me plugged in while in class so my residential fridge wouldn't drain batteries. I'm sure they could let you know if you called them.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:13 AM   #7
2011 Berkshire 390BH

DPJ... If you are referring to the Freightliner Gaffney Service Center, they have 50 amp Hookup. They also have a dump station and at that station, you can fill up with potable water. If you are referring to the Berkshire Plant in Elkhart, no services, just a place to park.

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:00 PM   #8

I also just completed Camp Freightliner on 16-17 Apr. Great course! All previous comments are spot on and Mike made the class fun. I had my services done the day before class and filed all the maintenance data sheets in my log. While in class on the subject of ride height, Mike noted that my XCR chassis should be set at 10 1/2 inches. I told him my maint forms showed they set mine at 9 1/2 inches. Mike didn't think they would make a mistake like that and assumed it was admin error.
When I got back to the KOA I found they did in fact set it at 9 1/2. It's now 7 pm Thursday and Freightliner is closed for Good Friday.
Called the Freightliner Help Line - they called in a tech, reopened the factory service and took care of the problem!
Very impressed with that level of customer care and service!!!
Old 04-28-2014, 09:53 PM   #9

What was supposed to be set at 10 1/2 inches. Just curios as to what kind of setting this is. Mike really knows his stuff so I am not surprised he picked up on it. Camp Freightliner is a great course and should be attended by all. Thanks
Old 04-29-2014, 10:21 AM   #10

Mmnsc:
The ride height for the XCR chassis is supposed to set at 10 1/2 inches. That is done by adjusting the leveling valves that control the air bags.