Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #1

Camping world shipping cost rip-off

I was in the process of looking for air and oil filters for my 8kw Onan generator in preparation for my fall maintenance. I looked around and found that CW's prices were about the same as other sites (about $1 or $2 more) so I added them to my cart. I was also going to order a new, multi-piece sewer hose (about $45),and a few other items, which I also added to my cart. When I went to look at what was in my cart, I noticed that the shipping charges for the filters was $9 EACH (for a filter that weighs less that 1 pound) and would take 4-6 weeks to ship. REALLY!!! $9 EACH? The sewer hose (8 lbs in weight) and other items were shipping for free because the total sale was over $100. But $9 EACH, for filters that weigh less than 1 pound each was ridiculous. Needless to say, I didn't order anything from CW!!

Really disappointed in CW!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #2

I agree I've notice that about CW shipping on several occasions. I won't order over the internet from them, I go down to the local store to see if they have the item and try to get it at the internet price.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #3

I have seen the same from them. I the other hand their prices in store are very competitive. I use amazon prime for most everything.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #4

You have to be careful that's for sure!
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #5

If you think that's bad try ordering from Canada and have some outrageous UPS brokerage fees added to the mix. I like Camping Worlds selection and some of their prices and sales but unless I can pick the item up in store I won't be getting it. Lesson learned CW.
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #6

I am not sure how CW system calculates shipping charges. I placed an order today that included several gallon jugs of cleaner. When I looked at the shipping cost as I was still shopping, it said $15. When I went to finalize the order, the shipping was only $9. This has happened more than once, not sure if it changes shipment locations depending on what you order?

I always watch the shipping charges but have still found them to be cheaper than any of the local places and my dealer has a very sad selection of items.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #7

They may have discounted the shipping charges if your order was over $99.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
B47

I don't think CW is the only company that has outrageous shipping charges, but they certainly are in the top 10.

Ever notice those ads on TV that offer a product for a certain price, but then shout "but wait, order two and get the second one free, just pay additional shipping charges". They are making more money on the jacked up shipping charges than they do on the actual made in China product.

The only company I order items from is Amazon and that's only after reading the shipping charges fine print twice.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #9

B47, it's time for you to become an Amazon Prime member. NO shipping charges (on second-day delivery!) for most items that are actually shipped by Amazon. And you get a couple of other benefits as well, all for a "low" annual fee! (Do I sound like a TV commercial now?)
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #10

I am also a Amazon Prime member. The shipping on most things is free. I like it because you can buy 5$ product and its still free shipping. The books on my kindle fire is great and also free. I think it's a good deal.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #11
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
B47, it's time for you to become an Amazon Prime member. NO shipping charges (on second-day delivery!) for most items that are actually shipped by Amazon. And you get a couple of other benefits as well, all for a "low" annual fee! (Do I sound like a TV commercial now?)
Maybe so - but so far my only experience with Amazon was ordering a Porter Cable air compressor for the RV - it was $99 with free shipping at Amazon which was cheaper than my local Lowes and HD. That was my first Amazon deal and I only did that after hearing good things about Amazon from you guys on this forum. The compressor arrived on my doorstep on the promised delivery date and for the promised $99. Until then, I thought the only things Amazon sold were books.

Since then, I now order my refrigerator water filters from them.

I might look into their Prime membership offer.

Thanks for the info.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #12

CW Shipping Charges

Before we got our Berkshire earlier this year, we had a trailer. In order to get my hands on a replacement water heater element, I had to pay shipping from the OEM to CW, then drive 25 miles to CW to pick it up. They really gouge you on the shipping,then it really doesn't come to your home, anyway.
Hallen01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping