Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2016, 08:55 AM   #1

Car Trailer; anyone use

We have always towed 4 down since our first motorhome. It is now time to buy a new car. I have been kicking around using a car trailer instead of towing 4 down.

Anyone use one now? Like it or hate it?
Old 03-10-2016, 09:09 AM   #2

The biggest downside is 3 Vehicle's to Park! Cost depends on Need for "Trans mod/brake mods/tow bar/lights" on the 4 Down Vs Tandem trailer cost! Youroo!!
Old 03-10-2016, 11:18 AM   #3
Master of his Domain

Car Trailer; anyone use

I have been using this dolly for the past 2 years. It folds up and takes less space than some of the other models I looked at. The "neck" folds up, as do the ramps. No issues with the dolly to date.

http://www.hitchsource.com/kar-kaddy...wkshoCEqPw_wcB

Benefits of the dolly are that
- you can tow many front drive vehicles that can't be flat towed
- you can switch towed vehicles with no modification to the towed vehicle (brakes, brackets...)

That said, flat towing is much easier:
- total RV plus towed vehicle length is less with flat tow
- the dolly adds about 600 lbs to your towed weight
- you have to lay down on the ground to attach the dolly safety chains to the frame of the towed vehicle
- I ALWAYS stop during the first 5 miles of a trip to check the straps that hold the towed vehicle wheels on the dolly, and they are ALWAYS a little loose. I tighten them and am usually fine for the rest of the trip. My sense is that you don't need to check flat tow connections.

If I owned a car that could be flat towed, I'd ditch the dolly in a second. I usually pull one of the 2 VW TDIs we own, and they have the DSG tranny that can't be flat towed. I would get the manual transmission and flat tow that, but it would cost me my marriage!
Old 03-10-2016, 11:23 AM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Sure would be a lot less hassle towing 4 down then have to worry about more issues with a trailer. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:35 AM   #5

We traveled around the country to Rod Runs and car shows for several years towing a 20' enclosed car hauler behind our DP motorhomes. The issues with a car hauler is where do I unload/load the car and where to park the trailer when it's unloaded, Most RV park stalls are not long enough to park a RV, a trailer, and a car.
The best you can hope for is a Long pull thru that will allow you to park the car in the trailer ( assuming you buy a enclosed trailer with the rear tailgate ramp)when it's not in use. If, for economic reasons, you plan on an open car hauler which is much higher off the ground, you won't want to go thru the hassle of driving your car up the 2 ramps onto the trailer every time you come home.
Unless you have a "special car" that you're trying to protect from the elements, a car hauler is actually a bit/major "pain in the a--"!
We towed our family cars for years 4 wheels down with Blue Ox equipment and believe me, that's absolutely the way to go. I strongly suggest you forget the trailer towing as it'll soon prove to be a major downer for your RV'ing experience!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:38 AM   #6

Let's see...
4 down.....hook up toad, arrive, un-hook toad.

Trailer.....hook up trailer. Drive toad onto trailer. Tie down toad.
arrive....untie toad. Drive toad off trailer. Unhook trailer,
and possibly have to store trailer in overflow lot as many
spaces cannot accomidate rv, trailer, and toad.
No brainer...4 down.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:45 AM   #7

Ain't nuttin wrong with tow via trailer except the parking . I prefer a trailer for the backing ability . My trailer tilts and if parking is a problem I park right back on the trailer .
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:54 AM   #8

We have three kids... all getting older... all getting bigger...

So the SUV's that have 3 three row seating and can be towed 4 wheels down become very limited.

If it was just my wife and I - plenty of other vehicle options to tow behind the coach.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:03 PM   #9
7 Year Class A RV'er

With our last RV, we used a car hauler. Had a FeatherLite trailer - really nice, lightweight, all aluminum. Looking at about a $5K investment, then add for a tool box up front to carry tie down straps, etc. Nice trailer, but still have the usual trailer issues (like tires) plus tongue weight on the rear of the coach. When we got our DP last year, I sold the trailer and traded my Tacoma for a Wrangler, which we now flat tow. World of difference in my opinion. First, you're not having to also tow a 1,400 lb trailer plus the car. Second, though our trailer was very easy to load and tie down, the flat tow is a LOT easier. Then there's the issue of where to store the trailer when it's not in use and getting into a campsite with enough depth to not only take the RV and trailer but allow you to park the vehicle when it's not on the trailer.Also, when it was raining, getting loaded was a treat since you had to get on the ground to put the ramps back in after the vehicle is loaded, then crawl around under there to get the tie downs tightened (depends on the vehicle, too). After going flat tow with the Jeep, I'm sold on that method. Of course, the Jeep is a major factor in that as the Wrangler seems like it was designed to be towed. If you do decide on the trailer, definitely check out the FeatherLite, though. You'll save the difference in price on fuel in the first year or so, not to mention it always looks so much nicer with no rust, etc.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:52 PM   #10

EJ4M
We have towed 4 down, tow Dolly and now a 20 Ft open Car Hauler. Our Trailer is steel and has 7500 Lb Axles. We have towed the Trailer with our Suburban on board for about 10,000 miles. On trips to Phoenix, Sedona, Az and Sanford, Florida several trips to Houston and College Station Tx. We have never had to unhook our trailer from our Motorhome. Our Motorhome is a 2011 390BH - 60.
If I did anything different I would have purchased a 20 ft aluminum open trailer.
cudntherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudntherd View Post
EJ4M
We have towed 4 down, tow Dolly and now a 20 Ft open Car Hauler. Our Trailer is steel and has 7500 Lb Axles. We have towed the Trailer with our Suburban on board for about 10,000 miles. On trips to Phoenix, Sedona, Az and Sanford, Florida several trips to Houston and College Station Tx. We have never had to unhook our trailer from our Motorhome. Our Motorhome is a 2011 390BH - 60.
If I did anything different I would have purchased a 20 ft aluminum open trailer.

Do you like the trailer better than towing 4 down?
Old 03-10-2016, 02:11 PM   #12

Yes We like the trailer better than 4 down. We can also haul any vehicle without modification (tow bar attachment, brakes, lights, or if required a driveshaft disconnect).
We need a large Suv when we are travelling with the Kids and Grandkids. I looked and using a driveshaft disconnect on our older Suburban. The issues is it has a 70" long driveshaft and there is no assurance there will not be a vibration after the disconnect is installed.
cudntherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Let's see...
4 down.....hook up toad, arrive, un-hook toad.

Trailer.....hook up trailer. Drive toad onto trailer. Tie down toad.
arrive....untie toad. Drive toad off trailer. Unhook trailer,
and possibly have to store trailer in overflow lot as many
spaces cannot accomidate rv, trailer, and toad.
No brainer...4 down.
Grumpy
Had a dolly was a.pain in the rear, newer cars you have to be careful the fairing will hook the ramp. I had to build a ramp to get on the ramp plus all you mentioned above.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudntherd View Post
Yes We like the trailer better than 4 down. We can also haul any vehicle without modification (tow bar attachment, brakes, lights, or if required a driveshaft disconnect).
We need a large Suv when we are travelling with the Kids and Grandkids. I looked and using a driveshaft disconnect on our older Suburban. The issues is it has a 70" long driveshaft and there is no assurance there will not be a vibration after the disconnect is installed.
What do you do with the trailer when you get to a campground?
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
What do you do with the trailer when you get to a campground?
Most of the ones we have visited have had aux parking lots. The vehicle we would put on the trailer would have a hitch so we could move / park the trailer once we arrive.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJM4 View Post
We have three kids... all getting older... all getting bigger...

So the SUV's that have 3 three row seating and can be towed 4 wheels down become very limited.

If it was just my wife and I - plenty of other vehicle options to tow behind the coach.

Buick Enclave has seating for 7 and is very comfortable. It flat tows easily and the one we GD was all wheel drive. Great car with lots of room. Mmnsc tows a Ford Explorer and it much the same. Tons of room and easy to tow. Both weigh around 5000 lbs.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:43 PM   #17
7 Year Class A RV'er

Just the one word of caution I mentioned earlier with the trailer: Remember to keep to your total tow capacity based on weight if the trailer AND the vehicle. And if you do decide to flat tow instead, don't trust what the dealer tells you as to whether or not you can flat tow.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB with 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Gigi, Poppy and Sadie the Jack Russell (all 14 lbs of her)

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:14 PM   #18
jkoenig24

Before my enclosed car trailer was STOLEN in Elkhart, IN (the trailer theft capitol of the world), I towed my Prius and Honda Silverwing scooter. You CAN safely back up a trailer; being enclosed, vehicles stay cleaner; much less chance of someone breaking in; don't have to worry about rocks kicking up damaging your toad; extra storage space are quick plusses that come to mind.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:07 PM   #19

Towing using a car trailer

I have been pulling a twenty foot steel flatbed trailer nearly three years. The only problem I've encountered is one blowout that probably occurred because of undersized tires that were original equipment. Reasons for buying. Can tow nearly any midsize SUV, or car made. The cost to purchase this trailer was almost the same to purchase a BlueOx product. With the trailer there is no additional cost when buying a new vehicle. Changing adapters etc. create extra costs. When I'm done (if ever) traveling I have something of value to get some real cash back. I have never had a problem finding a space at any of the more than thirty CG's we've visited. Once you have a routine for loading and unloading it takes maybe 20 minutes to get on the road. My opinion is that flat towing is incrementally easier but there is wear and tear for every mile you drag your tow vehicle. Bottom line is do what's best for your situation. Nothing is written in stone...��
MrLucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:10 PM   #20

Forgot to say I drive a FR Charleston.
MrLucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer