Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2014, 03:55 PM   #1

Cargo Door Latch Broke

I have a 2011 Berkshire 390BH the latch on my water b ay and sewer door broke. I ordered a new one and was told I would have to gently bend the curve part of the door. This door is one that swings up so the latch is on the bottom of the door and I cant get the old one out due to the door curves around under the RV. I hope this makes since.

Has anyone ever replaced this latch and if so can you give me any advice
csichoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #2

csi,
I believe that another poster had the latch break and they too had to bend the bottom of the door slightly in order to replace it. He said that even though he needed to bend the door, it was not very noticeable.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:08 PM   #3

I thought I read that post but I have been looking for it for the last hour and can not find it.
csichoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:30 PM   #4

Here is the other thread:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...e-48916-2.html
Old 05-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #5
Berkshire 390QS

Heard the same thing, he had to bend the bottom just enough to get it out.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:43 PM   #6

Thanks Dan. I knew I had seen it but couldn't find it.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:22 PM   #7

Sadly, I searched this post out rather than just seeing the new thread. Used mine this weekend, that latch won't operate today... Door's latched shut. Any good ideas for getting it open to see what I have to fix? At least on that bay you can potentially access from the black/grey tank opening in the bottom of the bay. This is not how I wanted to spend Monday.
Gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:50 PM   #8

You can access the water bay through the port the grey/black hose comes out. I had the same problem. I unscrewed the cover and laying on my back got my hand up to the U BOLT that the latch holds on to. I believe i used a 7/16 box wrench to remove the 2 nuts that hold the U BOLT in place. Should take about 10 minutes to open.
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnsc View Post
You can access the water bay thrit ugh the port the grey/black hose comes out. I had the same problem. I unscrewed the cover and laying on my back got my hand up to the U BOLT that the latch holds on to. I believe i used a 7/16 box wrench to remove the 2 nuts that hold the U BOLT in place. Should take about 10 minutes to open.
Well I did one better. I was able to lay underneath it and get the tip of my index finger on the latch. Lifted the latch handle and pushed on latch with fingertip and got it over the u bracket. Now to figure out if theres a relatively easy way to tension the cable or just bend the u bolt downward a bit instead. Glad i dont have to sell this crappy hardware and sleep at night.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:49 PM   #10

When you open the lock mechanism in the middle of the door. (You will need the star bits to open.). Once open you can loosen the set screw that compresses on the cable. With a needle nose pliers grsb the cable and pull it up through the set screw. Once you pull it up and have the latch under tension tighten up the set screw. I had to play with getting this adjusted on my battery compartment.
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:06 PM   #11

As far as having to bend the metal to get the mechanism replaced.....

Would it be possible to remove the door, take it to a metal shop and have a 1/2 wide (or so) slot cut directly in line with the rod, then put a narrow strip of aluminum over the slot (fasten with screws) after replacing the mechanism??

You could do this operation one at a time as each door latch breaks???

Maybe not do-able; I haven't even looked at the door, but just a thought.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnsc View Post
When you open the lock mechanism in the middle of the door. (You will need the star bits to open.). Once open you can loosen the set screw that compresses on the cable. With a needle nose pliers grsb the cable and pull it up through the set screw. Once you pull it up and have the latch under tension tighten up the set screw. I had to play with getting this adjusted on my battery compartment.
First, thanks for your timely replies. The end of my latch was somewhat buggered, so, in the heat of the afternoon, i simply grabbed a knife and trimmed the knife edge of the latch just a little. Just enough for the latch to release properly. I did pull the back side off and found the set screw, and will do a tension adjustment on that latch and a couple others in one of those "I feel like tinkering at the campsite moments." For now, I'm back in the game. Much thanks.

To be clear, my problem turned out to be a cable in need of adjustment, not a broken latch as suffered by the OP.

Tags
door