Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #1

CCI PreTell 2 LP Detector - Last Rites

My CCI PreTell 2 detector started beeping today while I was working in the motorhome. I reset it, cleaned it, etc. I discovered today reading some original CCI (out of business now) material that the units had a 5 year - planned life. Once the unit starts beeping, it's on life support. I have seen the Safe-T-Alert, a direct replacement model that comes with the LP gas solenoid and is about $200. You can not use the Safe-T-Alert and original CCI solenoid as they use different voltages to operate. I also have read on several others forums that the gas valve is no longer required - and I have verified that. Seems to have dropped off the books around 2007ish... Many new builds don't include the solenoid either. I see many are taking the solenoid off and using a more standard LP or LP/CO combination detector. Has anyone here on the Berkshire forum done this? Is taking the solenoid off a difficult task? Need to solve this before leaving again in a couple weeks. As always, thanks all!
sold 2008 Berkshire pusher
sold 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible toad
sold 2015 Nissan Frontier toad
JBoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoyer View Post
My CCI PreTell 2 detector started beeping today while I was working in the motorhome. I reset it, cleaned it, etc. I discovered today reading some original CCI (out of business now) material that the units had a 5 year - planned life. Once the unit starts beeping, it's on life support. I have seen the Safe-T-Alert, a direct replacement model that comes with the LP gas solenoid and is about $200. You can not use the Safe-T-Alert and original CCI solenoid as they use different voltages to operate. I also have read on several others forums that the gas valve is no longer required - and I have verified that. Seems to have dropped off the books around 2007ish... Many new builds don't include the solenoid either. I see many are taking the solenoid off and using a more standard LP or LP/CO combination detector. Has anyone here on the Berkshire forum done this? Is taking the solenoid off a difficult task? Need to solve this before leaving again in a couple weeks. As always, thanks all!
This is somewhat generic to your issue, but you may want to do a search for "mac the fire guy" on google. He was a vendor at a rally I attended recently and is an expert on all things safety related, including smoke, carbon monoxide and propane detecters.

His presentation on fire safety was a real eye opener; he even demoed how to spray yourself with fire retardant chemicals if caught in a burning coach (Yes, he actually sprayed himself down).

Folks if you don't already know it, you could have mere SECONDS to get out in case of a fire.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #3

Thanks - I will...
sold 2008 Berkshire pusher
sold 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible toad
sold 2015 Nissan Frontier toad
JBoyer is offline   Reply With Quote