Old 08-10-2019, 12:25 PM   #1

Change color of rooftop ac cover

The current color of my rooftop air conditioner covers is black. In very hot weather, the air conditioners struggle to keep my motor home cool. I would like to improve the efficiency of my units and wonder if changing to white covers would help. Has anyone changed covers? Did it help?
I have done many things to help the air conditioners like making sure the filters are clean, adding insulation to the coach cabinets, adding magneshield covers to the front windows etc.
Just wondering if changing rooftop covers would help.

Dcamisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:33 PM   #2
Lacey's Spring, AL

I doubt a shroud color change would benefit anything, even if it lowers the temperature around the rooftop unit substantially, since the unit is looking at the inside temperature for it's cooling time, not the outside temp. Air Conditioner units, and their condensers and compressors, sit outside of most every home in the county, many on the hot ROOFS, with no shade.
RV shrouds are normally black, maybe to 'match' the RV color scheme, or maybe because it's less likely to show discoloration and water stains, etc. White might be an option, as it used to be more of the 'normal' color versus the more common black we see today.

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx, 100,000+mi since '14... US, Alaska, and Canada... from W.C. Georgia, then W. North Carolina, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:34 PM   #3

We had an issue with ours and had a owner/technician come out to correct it. He’s been in the business for 23 years both rv and home/ business. In the course of his visit he talked about longevity of the components as relates to heat, power fluctuations, etc. Our covers were black. He had a formula he quoted on temperature vs performance of the components. I’ve painted the covers white. I can’t say I can tell any difference listening to the units performance wise but then I probably wouldn’t. Whether it’ll make a bit of difference in the long term longevity of our units I don’t know but I can’t see how it’ll hurt anything. In our case, we choose to take the advice.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:00 AM   #4
Dragonship Captain

Don't think changing the color will do a darn thing.

Here's what WILL help:

1 Plug the hatch holes... https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Insulat...gateway&sr=8-1
2 Get a Magneshade
3 Keep the shades down on the sunny side
4 Take the skylight in the shower off (on the inside) and stick a sheet of reflective foil/foam in there.

Tags
cover, roo, roof