Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #1

Changing the oil on the Berkshire 390bh.

I'm about to head over to the motorhome to change the oil. I've changed the oil on all of my other vehicles but this is my first diesel.
I have: a 5 gallon bucket to drain the oil into
4 gallons of 15w40 diesel oil
Lucas oil additive suggested by mechanic
appropriate oil filter
I will: drain the oil from the crankcase with ratchet extention
remove the oil filter and replace with filter filled with oil
replace drain plug
refill with oil and additive
pray that the last guy to change the oil didn't over tighten the filter
Have I forgotten anything?
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #2

No- seems like you have everything covered and should be good to go. Do you know when the fuel filter and water separator were changed? You might want to consider those as well.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
No- seems like you have everything covered and should be good to go. Do you know when the fuel filter and water separator were changed? You might want to consider those as well.
X2

For the price of filters it is best to change them when changing the oil.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwood390bh View Post
I'm about to head over to the motorhome to change the oil. I've changed the oil on all of my other vehicles but this is my first diesel.
I have: a 5 gallon bucket to drain the oil into
4 gallons of 15w40 diesel oil
Lucas oil additive suggested by mechanic
appropriate oil filter
I will: drain the oil from the crankcase with ratchet extention
remove the oil filter and replace with filter filled with oil
replace drain plug
refill with oil and additive
pray that the last guy to change the oil didn't over tighten the filter
Have I forgotten anything?
How are you going to raise it up?? DO NO use the leveling jacks, not matter what you do.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #5

I got up underneath the coach(in 104 degree heat) and found the quarters very close. How could I raise the coach without the jacks? I may have to pay someone. Thanks
Will
Old 06-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #6

A 5 gallon bucket won't fit under the pan, and if you cut it it won't hold enough oil. I use a plastic 45 gallon drum cut to fit under there. Then you're good.
speedmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwood390bh View Post
I got up underneath the coach(in 104 degree heat) and found the quarters very close. How could I raise the coach without the jacks? I may have to pay someone. Thanks
Will
I guess you could buy some VERY HEAVY DUTY jack stands. Raise the coach enough using the built in jacks, then place the jack stands under the rear axle then gently lower the coach enough so that some of the weight is on the stands. Of course, you would HAVE to be on a VERY solid surface.

The jack stands (I would GUESS) should be capable of at least 12K lbs EACH. Your coach probably carries 17500+ lbs weight on the back axle.

Kingwood, do NOT take my advice as gospel. I am NOT an expert. And I am in no way telling/advising you to do this. (disclaimer)

But by doing it as mentioned above, you have one system (the jacks) "back stopping" the other (the jack stands) and vice versa. And would PROBABLY be safe.

The built in jacks CAN and HAVE collapsed SUDDENLY and VIOLENTLY. Mine did so one night and was so loud all the neighbors came running outside to see what had happened. Had I been under the unit, I wouldn't be typing this.

In my opinion, changing one's own oil is highly desirable. Just be VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY careful. You (and anyone for that matter) that crawls under a raised coach that is not PROPERLY supported, is begging for a disaster.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!

Boowho??
Old 06-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #8

I have not done this but my plan was to use the jacks to raise the MH and then put jack stands on the frame to be the safety. I don't see anything wrong with that but would like to hear
Why that is not safe. I plan to change the oil this fall and that is the only way I have to do it.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #9

I changed my oil last month and just left it inflated on the air bags. Needless to say I didn't spent any time under the oil pan. It was tight but I have a pan for changing transmission fluid which will hold 5 gallons of fluid and is very low profile. Worked great. I did have to purchase a set of strap wrenches from Oreilly's. They have come in real handy for a number of uses.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #10

Will a five gallon bucket hold all the old oil???? That's good for 20 guarts... Don't they hold 30 or more guarts??
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Will a five gallon bucket hold all the old oil???? That's good for 20 guarts... Don't they hold 30 or more guarts??
I believe that the coaches hold nearly 17 liters of oil. So technically yes a 5 gallon bucket will hold it all but it won't fit under the pan. So you need a low profile drain bucket.

On another note you can buy heavy duty truck ramps if you want to be completely safe. I do sort of what edgewant does. Inflate the bags, crawl under. There is enough room to get you under, or I have a low spot in my driveway when I want to get under to inspect something. Filling to the filler hole can be tricky, but a pail pump, easiest cleanest way to do it.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmerchant View Post
I believe that the coaches hold nearly 17 liters of oil. So technically yes a 5 gallon bucket will hold it all but it won't fit under the pan. So you need a low profile drain bucket.

On another note you can buy heavy duty truck ramps if you want to be completely safe. I do sort of what edgewant does. Inflate the bags, crawl under. There is enough room to get you under, or I have a low spot in my driveway when I want to get under to inspect something. Filling to the filler hole can be tricky, but a pail pump, easiest cleanest way to do it.

My 340 HP takes 19 qts. I imagine the 360 HP would be the same.

Boowho??
Old 06-29-2013, 11:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
My 340 HP takes 19 qts. I imagine the 360 HP would be the same.

Boowho??
ok so I was out by a litre (19qt is just under 18 litres).....lol! was last fall when I changed it, just filled from the pail till it was full on dipstick, ran engine to make sure filter was full then filled it to mark again, had some left over in pail.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:12 AM   #14

I didn't realize how impractical the 5 gallon bucket was. I will look for a low profile 5 gallon drain bucket. I think that inflating the airbags will be a safe way to get enough room to work with. I got under the coach, it was tight, with the bags deflated. Thanks for all the input.
Will
Old 06-30-2013, 06:46 AM   #15

I'm not sure if there are any Speedco's near your location, but they changed the oil in my coach along with the fuel filters, lubed the chassis, checked the fluid levels in the rear and trans, aired the tires to my spec for $218.00. All while I watched...

Old 06-30-2013, 09:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmerchant View Post
ok so I was out by a litre (19qt is just under 18 litres).....lol! was last fall when I changed it, just filled from the pail till it was full on dipstick, ran engine to make sure filter was full then filled it to mark again, had some left over in pail.
Actually, James, I believe our engines can be fitted (by Cummins) with two different oil pans a 15 or a 19 QT. Why they do this and what the difference is I have no idea.

I think I read in my owners manual that the only way to know for sure, was to crawl under an look or drain the old oil and just keep pouring the new in until is shows full on the dipstick.

Wasn't trying to be anal!!! (and still ain't)

Boowho??
Old 06-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJM4 View Post
I'm not sure if there are any Speedco's near your location, but they changed the oil in my coach along with the fuel filters, lubed the chassis, checked the fluid levels in the rear and trans, aired the tires to my spec for $218.00. All while I watched...

If they let you watch that is a heluva deal. I'd gladly pay that amount. Freightliner of Arizona did mine for about $236, but I have no idea if they did everything properly. For example, did they grease it?? I got a detailed itemization of what they did, but it was all Greek to me.

When I mentioned I wanted the "initial" 6000 mile service, they looked at me with a dear-in-the-headlights expression. Does not install confidence, does it??

Boowho??
Old 06-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #18

My DIY nature says "change the oil yourself", but if I had a guy like Earl's close by I'd jump on it! I'm going to check Speedcos website for North Houston affiliates. I haven't found a reliable, reasonably priced local shop yet. As for the fuel filter, I'm staring at one in my study right now. I'll start another thread when I get to that.
Will
Old 06-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #19

Speedco is in the Houston area. Unfortunately, its about 40 miles away from the house.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho

If they let you watch that is a heluva deal. I'd gladly pay that amount. Freightliner of Arizona did mine for about $236, but I have no idea if they did everything properly. For example, did they grease it?? I got a detailed itemization of what they did, but it was all Greek to me.

When I mentioned I wanted the "initial" 6000 mile service, they looked at me with a dear-in-the-headlights expression. Does not install confidence, does it??

Boowho??
Not surprised, most Disel mechs service in hours?
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote