Old 08-12-2016, 06:07 AM   #1

! Check Engine message

This just started the other day on my trip to Goshen. When I start my engine the message '! Check Engine' comes up on the screen where the 'Freightliner Custom Chasis' message displays. This is the same screen that sometimes displays the '! Low Battery' message. It stays on for a few seconds and then goes off when all the other indicator lights go off. I was a little low on coolant so I added some but that didn't seem to solve anything but I have not started the engine since adding the coolant.

It doesn't seem to affect the performance of the engine at all and Freightliner said it is ok to drive it.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue and if so, was there anything done to eliminate this message?

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:25 AM   #2
Go Seahawks!

Hi Tom, I would recommend stopping and getting your codes read if you pass near a place that can do it (Freightliner Service Center or similar). It would provide piece of mind and if there are no codes present they can most likely clear the spurious message.

Pacific Northwest
Subsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:49 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
This just started the other day on my trip to Goshen. When I start my engine the message '! Check Engine' comes up on the screen where the 'Freightliner Custom Chasis' message displays. This is the same screen that sometimes displays the '! Low Battery' message. It stays on for a few seconds and then goes off when all the other indicator lights go off. I was a little low on coolant so I added some but that didn't seem to solve anything but I have not started the engine since adding the coolant.

It doesn't seem to affect the performance of the engine at all and Freightliner said it is ok to drive it.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue and if so, was there anything done to eliminate this message?
Curious, how do you know that adding the coolant didn't solve anything if you haven't started the engine since adding it?
2015 - 41
2016 - 81
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:00 AM   #4

Tom, my unit does the same thing when starting. It's usually caused by the heater grid in the intake drawing the battery power to maintain warm enough air. Use your high idle, turn on cruise button and push the set button and that message will go away faster. By using high idle the engine should be running about 1400 rpm.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:23 PM   #5

Checked the internal diagnostics on the coach and they all came up with 0 active diagnostics so the internal computer didn't detect any issues that were serious enough to record.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:00 PM   #6
Go Seahawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Checked the internal diagnostics on the coach and they all came up with 0 active diagnostics so the internal computer didn't detect any issues that were serious enough to record.
If that's the case "Bunci" is probably on to something. Maybe the quick low voltage being detected is causing the message. Kind of strange though that you would not have seen it before. These things sure like to throw us all a curve ball now and then huh?
Pacific Northwest
Subsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:54 PM   #7

Not the same issue, but I had the check engine light issue when I purchased my unit in 2012. The RV dealership told me the light was on because it was low on DEF. That was a big lie! Now who would ever think an RV dealer would be less than truthful.

I took the coach to a Freightliner dealer and a code showed it had a part (don't remember which one) failing. The Freightligner dealer replaced it and the check engine light came back on after 5 miles. I took it back and it still showed the same part failing, which they knew wasn't. At that point I left the coach for two days at the dealership. When I picked it up the dealer told me they pulled the engine wiring harness, inspected, cleaned and re-installed it. He suspected that something in the harness was lose or dirty and re-installing probably fixed the problem. (the invoice showed 12 hours of labor)

He was right it did fix the problem. That was over 4 years and 20,000 miles ago and no problem since (knock on wood)
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:54 PM   #8

I had this same issue last month while on a 7000 mile trip. Upon return, I took it to Freighliner for the 15000 mile check up. They found some coolant loss and some loose radiator clamps.
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
fredhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:54 AM   #9

Fred,
I added coolant but the message still shows up. Did Freightliner have to reset the computer in order to delete the message or did it resolve itself? I have only run the engine for a few minutes after adding the coolant.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:53 AM   #10

When I had the coolant issue last month it turned out that the fan shroud had cut into the upper radiator hose.... This wasn't discovered until I had Freightliner pressure test the radiator.... I added a lot of water and the light finally went off and I drove 120 miles to the Freightliner shop where the cause was discovered...

How much coolant did you add???

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums