Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2016, 07:57 AM   #1

Checked your Turn-Signals Lately?

One of my front marker light's lens mysteriously fell off. I discovered the bulb was also dead, so I checked the rest of the turn signal lights and found another dead one at mid-ship on the side. Yes, some of the marker lights are used for turn signals besides the front and rear light assemblies.

The mid-ship ones are important. For example you are in the right lane of a three lane interstate and behind a dump truck. So you decide to pull into the center lane which is clear. But there could be a vehicle in the far left lane wishing to also wishing to come into the center lane. Well, your side turn signal marker can alert that vehicle should you both be abreast of one another.

Suggestion to all - check all your turn signals lights.
Hank
Old 06-08-2016, 08:23 AM   #2

All of the lights should be checked every time you get on the road. It should be part of a pre-departure check list.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
All of the lights should be checked every time you get on the road. It should be part of a pre-departure check list.
X2 to that! My post was to point out that some of the marker lights are also turn signal lights. This may not be known by all.
Hank
Old 06-08-2016, 10:59 AM   #4

I for one did not know that.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:02 AM   #5
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
X3!
We always check ALL of our lights before we pull out of the driveway or out of the camp site. Been doing it since pup days.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:23 AM   #6

Thanks Hank. I have owned mine for 4 years and check everything every time and didn't know that they were turn signals. It will change the pre trip checklist.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:19 PM   #7

Ditto on checking on hook-up every time. I also got stopped by a local police unit because my connection had vibrated loose so I had nothing - turn stop, nada. My current TV lets me know if I've come disconnected; the old one didn't.
jrmartin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:15 PM   #8
RetiredRVer

They may or may not be turn signal lights.....my TT is 35 feet long, and the middle marker light is only just that, a marker light.
2017 Coachman Chaparral 336TSIK Fifth Wheel
2018 AT 18 Alaska group
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:35 PM   #9

None of my side markers are turn indicating. I know what my next mod will be.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:03 PM   #10
RetiredRVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
None of my side markers are turn indicating. I know what my next mod will be.
X2.....been thinking about this for the past few months. But, also thinking about trading for a 5th wheel! What to do?!!!
2018 AT 18 Alaska group
Old 06-08-2016, 11:47 PM   #11
Learning a lot as I go...

I like to turn on the 4-way flashers: single step verification of left turn, right turn, and both brake lights on the trailer. Turn on the parking lights too and you can verify every light on the trailer at one time.

(trailer wiring is really very simple stuff... all the good magic happens up front switching the same bulb between flasher, turn, and stop functions)
stevejahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate99 View Post
They may or may not be turn signal lights.....my TT is 35 feet long, and the middle marker light is only just that, a marker light.

Well since in your in a Berkshire Motorhome forum could be only those models have this feature.

Wayne
Old 06-09-2016, 06:42 AM   #13
RetiredRVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
Well since in your in a Berkshire Motorhome forum could be only those models have this feature.

Wayne
This is just the forum that gets all the questions/answers for all types of FR products, not just Berkshire MH's. I'll be more careful next time and not reply to any more "motorhome" comments. Sorry....
2018 AT 18 Alaska group
Old 06-09-2016, 06:55 AM   #14

Quote:
This is just the forum that gets all the questions/answers for all types of FR products, not just Berkshire MH's. I'll be more careful next time and not reply to any more "motorhome" comments. Sorry....
Looks like the original question was in the Berkshire sub-forum.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:01 AM   #15

Quote:

You are free to post wherever you wish I was just offering a possible reason why TT's don't have this feature since I don't own a TT I don't know what they have just that equipment is not the same.

Wayne
Old 06-20-2016, 04:41 PM   #16

I'm sure you are all dying to hear how I made out. Well, my left front marker/turn-signal had a loose wire in the butt splice. My right mid-ship marker/turn signal was all rusted. I replaced the light assembly.

Back to my original question; have you all checked your turn-signals, including the marker turn-signals?
Hank
Old 06-20-2016, 04:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejahr View Post
I like to turn on the 4-way flashers: single step verification of left turn, right turn, and both brake lights on the trailer. Turn on the parking lights too and you can verify every light on the trailer at one time.

(trailer wiring is really very simple stuff... all the good magic happens up front switching the same bulb between flasher, turn, and stop functions)
I do agree with stevejahr with the following clarifications. Putting the 4-way flasher on, will flash all turn signals (including the toad) and verify the brake lights. Putting the running lights on with the 4-ways, will also activate the tail lights, all markers and the front running lights (everything but the head-lights and fog lights). The 4-ways do make checking more easy.
Hank
Old 06-20-2016, 05:34 PM   #18

After being notified by a not so friendly driver a couple years ago, I learned after hooking up the trailer just before leaving I do a walk around making sure everything is where its supposed to be. I turn on my tow vehicle running lights and 4 ways, I check everything again. Then I hit the road. I still find a storage hatch that is not fully secured from time to time. I really felt bad when that driver told me at a stop light that I had no trailer lights, made me feel real stupid ( I never plugged them in, meaning no lights or brakes) luckily I had not traveled to far, just a silly mistake that should not have been made.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote