Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2016, 05:57 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
tnbendr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: In our coach
Posts: 232
Checking batteries

This might sound like a silly question, but should I disconnect shore power when checking battery levels?
__________________

__________________
Ben & Michelle
2015 Berkshire 38A
2005 Jeep Wrangler toad
tnbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:12 PM   #2
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,564
If you are talking about checking water levels visually, then it is not a bad idea to at least insure that power to the battery is off as opening the fill ports can release hydrogen gas and an accidental short in an enclosed area could cause a problem.
__________________

__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:39 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw,NC
Posts: 4,284
If I want to check the water level in my bank of batteries then the batteries have to come out. No other way to see the water level


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
2015 Cedar Creek 32RL
2012 Silverado 3500HD SRW
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ignhavefun.gif
spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:07 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 741
Checking batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
If you are talking about checking water levels visually, then it is not a bad idea to at least insure that power to the battery is off as opening the fill ports can release hydrogen gas and an accidental short in an enclosed area could cause a problem.

The battery boxes on Berkshires, a class A motorhome are extremely well ventilated. It is my experience that to check water levels does not require anything more than opening the cabinet door and looking at the battery's water level. Make sure to fill with distilled water.


Paul
2015 XL 40QL-60
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unltd. Sahara
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
__________________
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:14 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
tmmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Long Island (Nassau County), NY
Posts: 4,258
Not sure if tnbendr means the water level or the voltage level of the batteries.
__________________
Tom and Margaret
2014 Berkshire 390bh-60

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:14 PM   #6
Fulltime in our Berkshire
 
KennyGolub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
The battery boxes on Berkshires, a class A motorhome are extremely well ventilated. It is my experience that to check water levels does not require anything more than opening the cabinet door and looking at the battery's water level. Make sure to fill with distilled water.


Paul
2015 XL 40QL-60
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unltd. Sahara
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

X2
__________________
Ken & Laurie
2015 Berkshire 400QL
2016 Chevy Colorado
Home is Where we park it
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:18 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
tnbendr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: In our coach
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Not sure if tnbendr means the water level or the voltage level of the batteries.
Yes, I did mean water levels and I did disconnect shore power because I had to loosen a couple of connections to move them away from caps.
Thanks all!
__________________
Ben & Michelle
2015 Berkshire 38A
2005 Jeep Wrangler toad
tnbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:28 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
tmmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Long Island (Nassau County), NY
Posts: 4,258
Ben,
Great- just as long as you got the right answer to your question.
__________________
Tom and Margaret
2014 Berkshire 390bh-60

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:37 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
tnbendr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: In our coach
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Ben,
Great- just as long as you got the right answer to your question.
__________________

__________________
Ben & Michelle
2015 Berkshire 38A
2005 Jeep Wrangler toad
tnbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 AM.