Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2016, 11:04 PM   #1

Clear Shield on front

My clear shield isn't all that clear around all front lights.... Not sure if it's the Diamond Shield brand or not because I don't know if they put it on 2008 models....

I need to remove it.... Any suggestions ???!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:08 AM   #2

I think this thread talks about it.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ape-60028.html
and this video.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:11 AM   #3

All the 08's I have seen have had this problem. As far as I understand the film on the 08's is a early 3M product. It comes off hard. Expect some paint touch up. I watched them remove the film from Denny and Pats 08. He used a plastic scraper like you use to put body filler on. He also used a lot of citrus cleaner.
Maybe Denny will see this and give you the details. Also Jim Smith has a 08 and had it done.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:44 PM   #4

I've read on other forums about the 3M product, some say they removed it by applying heat with an electric heat gun, then either scraping with a plastic scraper or in some cases it pulled off by hand.

Do small sections at a time.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:02 PM   #5

Be very very careful with a heat guns. You can blister the paint quickly.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:52 AM   #6

Clear Shield on front

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Good advice right here. And wouldn't ya know I believe he actually owns a Berkshire.

It owns me most of the time.
Of coarse now that we know the Berkshires are built in a @bus chassis " we need to approach our maintenance differently. Lol

Old 01-15-2016, 11:21 AM   #7

Hahahahaha....good one Phil.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:15 PM   #8

Looks lke a lot of work for minimal protection to me. Maby just clean, wax regularly.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
Looks lke a lot of work for minimal protection to me. Maby just clean, wax regularly.

Not really. Have you seen Moho's without the Diamond Shield? Lots of stone chips. The new product is guaranteed for life. Mine is a 2011 and I have a couple of bad spots that they have fixed. It does protect the paint.
One big no no is using a pressure washer on it. The high pressure will lift the edges and allow mold to start. Only hand wash the front.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:25 AM   #10

[QUOTE=Phil57;1079726]Not really. Have you seen Moho's without the Diamond Shield? Lots of stone chips. The new product is guaranteed for life. Mine is a 2011 and I have a couple of bad spots that they have fixed. It does protect the paint.

Agreed, Phil. I had a bad spot on mine and it was repaired without question. Although heavy stones/objects may penetrate it, the average stuff doesn't damage it.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Not really. Have you seen Moho's without the Diamond Shield? Lots of stone chips. The new product is guaranteed for life. Mine is a 2011 and I have a couple of bad spots that they have fixed. It does protect the paint.
One big no no is using a pressure washer on it. The high pressure will lift the edges and allow mold to start. Only hand wash the front.
Hey Phil, what do you think of this product:

Aircraft RV Cleaner and Waterless Wash Wax Detailing Products Supplies

I went to a demo of this 2 Goshen's ago and was so impressed I bought the kit ($225 regular, $180 show special) I have been using it on out 5er ever since and the cool thing is, after the first application it actually gets EASIER to apply! I can do our whole 33' rig, in @ 30-40 min and it looks better than any wash I have seen.

Also, it seems that applying this stuff makes bugs and the bunk easier to get off when you are cleaning your rig.

Any other Berk owners using this stuff?
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Hey Phil, what do you think of this product:

Aircraft RV Cleaner and Waterless Wash Wax Detailing Products Supplies

I went to a demo of this 2 Goshen's ago and was so impressed I bought the kit ($225 regular, $180 show special) I have been using it on out 5er ever since and the cool thing is, after the first application it actually gets EASIER to apply! I can do our whole 33' rig, in @ 30-40 min and it looks better than any wash I have seen.

Also, it seems that applying this stuff makes bugs and the bunk easier to get off when you are cleaning your rig.

Any other Berk owners using this stuff?

Been using this for a couple of years, Bob. Bought the whole setup, but have trouble applying enough pressure at the top of the coach with the extension pole (although the extension pole is sweet and can be used for other things). I usually use my portable ladder when on the road and can do the whole coach in about an hour or so. Spray on, wipe off. Does a great job and if there isn't a ton of dirt, no pre-rinsing needed.

Rich
Old 01-17-2016, 02:13 PM   #13

Yeah Rich, we bought the whole setup as well. I guess with the Berk being @ a foot taller than our rig, it would be a bit harder to get to the top!

Have you had similar results in that it gets easier to apply the more you use it? This was one of the "features" the salesman was hyping. For us, at least, this does seem to be the case.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:31 PM   #14

Bob, I guess it's hard for me to answer that because we only do a couple of longer trips per year that necessitate cleaning at the campground. I do try to do a hand wax to the coach once a year, so I don't know how that influences the ease of application. It's just nice to be able to have a clean coach where you are staying (many places won't let you water wash), not to mention the benefit of not leaving environmental crud on the paint which can lead to damage. During virtually every trip, however, I do the front of the Berk to get the bugs off.

Rich
Old 01-17-2016, 02:42 PM   #15

I bought the whole system at the Goshen rally two years ago bi like it a lot. Bod you are right that it is easier the more often you do it. I haven't used it after a messy drive. I'm worried the grit and dirt would scratch the paint.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:39 PM   #16

I've just started using it on the RV and like it. I used something like it on cars and motorcycles some years ago.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:36 PM   #17

I've always used a product call the solution. NASCAR drivers use it on their MH just spray on and wipe off no scrubbing. Waxes and everything all surfaces.

Wayne
Old 01-17-2016, 04:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
I've always used a product call the solution. NASCAR drivers use it on their MH just spray on and wipe off no scrubbing. Waxes and everything all surfaces.

Wayne

As far as I can tell they are similar products. I have used both in the aircraft I've owned. It's not always practical to get a plane to a wash area. The waterless cleaner worked great and if done after every flight it only took a few minutes.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I bought the whole system at the Goshen rally two years ago bi like it a lot. Bod you are right that it is easier the more often you do it. I haven't used it after a messy drive. I'm worried the grit and dirt would scratch the paint.
Phil,

To put your mind at east, I cleaned the front cap of our 5er after a particularly grimy & bug laden drive. No problems whatsoever and no scratches either. This stuff is magic!!