Old 12-03-2014, 11:14 AM   #1

clicking noises revisited

Did we ever determine if those hydraulic clicking noises are/were an indication that the jacks are retracting on their own??

I never did add anything to my fluid 'cause it doesn't really bother me. However, my jacks do not hold the coach level for more than a few days, before they (at least partially) self-retract.

I'm not losing ANY fluid so I either need to add the fluid mentioned in the earlier thread (think it was available thru Caterpillar) OR replace one (or more) of the check valves.

Boowho??

Old 12-03-2014, 02:30 PM   #2

boo, I don't think we ever agreed that was the answer, but I think the majority of us believe it is. Mine usually does it everytime we camp, we went on a short trip this past weekend with the whole family and we never heard any clicking. The weather was a bit cool, that might have made a difference.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #3

Hi Boo,

I had one jack that would not hold the weight of the coach after several years. When I was at the factory Randy had equalizer look at it and they determined it was the valve at that pump. Changed it for me for free. I believe it is an $80 part.

The jacks should hold forever and not slip in MHO. When Equalizer removed the check valve they first remove the electric cellinoid that is over the valve then the valve turns right out. Almost no loss of fluid when not under pressure/load. Equalizer told me the valve can fail if dirt gets in it but they did not say how the dirt can get into the closed system. Anyway I wonder if you could flush out the valve once removed, re-install and solve your problem?

I determined which jack was at issue by measuring the amount they were extended when leveled then after a day going back and measuring again. For me it was obvious which jack was going down.

I did try the air purge process but it did nothing.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:05 PM   #4

A lot of people that tried the purge process had burned out the hydraulic motor, BooHoo, I believe you did so, is that correct?
Hank
Old 12-04-2014, 03:48 AM   #5

I replaced my fluid with a high quality synthetic and 1 qt of the Cat stiction additive. I cycled the jacks several times to circulate the additive. While I haven't used the motorhome yet I have it stored with the unit leveled. I check it daily and have noticed a big improvement in the popping noise. The jury is still out though until I actually camp in it.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
A lot of people that tried the purge process had burned out the hydraulic motor, BooHoo, I believe you did so, is that correct?
Hank
Didn't ruin it completely; was able to take it apart and free up a sticking brush. Apparently holding the switch down after the ram hit's the end of it's travel is INDEED harmful in spite of what Eq Sys says.

I'm certain the brush got stuck because it overheated and "fused" itself to the plastic-like brush holder. I was able to clean up the holder with a small file and re-use the original brush even though it was slightly "buggered".

Still looking for brand-new brushes. I believe the motor is a

Prestolite MZC 3.7

Boowho??
Old 12-04-2014, 03:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Hi Boo,

I had one jack that would not hold the weight of the coach after several years. When I was at the factory Randy had equalizer look at it and they determined it was the valve at that pump. Changed it for me for free. I believe it is an $80 part.

The jacks should hold forever and not slip in MHO. When Equalizer removed the check valve they first remove the electric cellinoid that is over the valve then the valve turns right out. Almost no loss of fluid when not under pressure/load. Equalizer told me the valve can fail if dirt gets in it but they did not say how the dirt can get into the closed system. Anyway I wonder if you could flush out the valve once removed, re-install and solve your problem?

I determined which jack was at issue by measuring the amount they were extended when leveled then after a day going back and measuring again. For me it was obvious which jack was going down.

I did try the air purge process but it did nothing.
Thanks for that tip. I'm going to try flushing all the valves as I find the time.

Boowho??
Old 12-15-2014, 04:19 PM   #8

Just found that when no clicking noises, the jacks don't seem to lose their pressure, no longer supporting the coach.

Further, I may have isolated it something as simple as to whether the jacks are resting on concrete or unpaved surface.

Not sure on this, but a definite possibility, since I just came off of concrete where they were clicking like hell, to a soft surface where they are not clicking at all.

Further observation may tell more of a story.

Boowho??
Old 12-15-2014, 07:27 PM   #9

Clickity-clack; the saga goes on! Hopefully, someday, some year, we will find out the answer.
Hank