Old 02-28-2019, 08:05 PM   #1

Clothes washer got the shakes!?

For those of you who got the stacked washer & dryer with their coach ...... does your washer shake too hard and wildly?

Ive got the RV wheels on the ground and the jacks down. And it shakes pretty good. Feels like something might break.

Even though the washer is on the bottom, I see that on top of the dryer there is a thin metal support piece that is bolted to the rear wall. And when the washer is spinning, the top of the dryer shakes pretty hard and arguably out of control a bit if you ask me. That metal support piece looks fairly flimsy.

My question is: is that support piece Suppose to be thin and flex somewhat on purpose? Or is it just a thin/cheap piece that can be upgraded? I could easily remove the piece and make a much beefier one. But I didnít want to make it really strong and then whatever my new support piece is bolted to, ends up breaking. That make sense?

Iím assuming the wall directly behind the washer & dryer is just plywood? Is it thick enough to have a much beefier support bolted to it? Or maybe have 2 support pieces instead of just one in the middle? Anyone else have this issue?

And yes Iíve tried putting the washer on Ďlow spiní but it still has the issue. Even though the washer is on the bottom, the excess vibration and hard shaking gets transferred to the top of the dryer. (Which is where the support piece is) The washer unit itself is fairly stable.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3845.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	197834

As you can see in the pic, the piece is pretty thin. When the washer/dryer starts shaking pretty bad, this piece flexes in the middle. The screws holding it to the dryer itself are stable, and so are the screws in the back where itís screwed to the wall. It just wobbles and flexes in the middle of that support piece. So thatís why Iím wondering if itís suppose to flex and not be bolted super secure .... maybe to keep the back wall from breaking over time?

Old 02-28-2019, 09:43 PM   #2
Dragonship Captain

Yup.

We refer to doing laundry as the "seismic event"......

I've heard of people beefing up the floor, that makes sense.

Don't think anything is going to break.....

Old 03-01-2019, 01:39 AM   #3

I got my Berkshire a year ago, it was used. During my inspection of the MH before I actually bought it, I noticed the dryer was VERY loose (I don't remember but maybe the washer moved also). The dealership built some wood supports around the top of the dryer. Yes it does 'take off' sometimes but then drops the rpm and restarts the spin. I'm satisfied with its operation. If you want I could try to take some photos.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:35 AM   #4
DDC

It’s normal.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:38 AM   #5

What I want to know ....... is if the support bracket on top of the dryer is designed to flex or if itís just cheap/thin and can be beefed up.?

The shaking ends up being at the top of the dryer. So thereís already a support bracket there. Iím wondering if I remove that bracket on top and make an identical one thatís just thicker and more rigid. But is that back wall thin and gonna crack or break? How thick is that back wall? Iím assuming itís plywood?
Old 03-01-2019, 10:21 AM   #6

that medal is to keep the dryer from coming thru the door while driving
oldkeywest91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:27 AM   #7
Dragonship Captain

So, I looked at mine this morning and yes, it's the exact same bracket.

I don't think beefing it up will do anything. The shaking originates from the washer and the fact that it's standing on a trampoline.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:49 AM   #8

Same here. I looked at beefing that brace up also, but I’m thinking I’d make a bigger problem later on with that back wall. Like others here, I just put on my spurs and hang on.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:57 AM   #9

Clothes washer got the shakes!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldkeywest91 View Post
that medal is to keep the dryer from coming thru the door while driving

Ahhh. That makes sense. Thanks for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igave View Post
Same here. I looked at beefing that brace up also, but Iím thinking Iíd make a bigger problem later on with that back wall. Like others here, I just put on my spurs and hang on.

Yea I just donít know how beefy that back wall is. Iím assuming itís ply wood. If I were to do it, it might be better to make 2 braces. And instead of mounting it in the top/middle of dryer, you could put them on the sides. More bracing! And it wouldnít put as much stress on ONE spot on the back wall ... it would be spread out more. And also you could add a thick rubber pad in between where the brace meets the dryer and where the brace meets the back wall.

Yes Iím concerned about making it worse by modifying ..... but Iím also concerned that leaving it as is, will damage it. Because it shakes A LOT. Canít be good as is for the long haul.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:00 AM   #10
Dragonship Captain

No amount of bracing is going to stop the earth quake. You need to beef up the floor. Once you take it apart you'll know why. I recall someone on these pages describing what he found and it explained everything. IE, there's not a while lot there.