Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2016, 08:45 AM   #1
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Clunking noise after axle/tire upgrade

Ever since our 2011 390BH had the brakes/bags/tires upgraded in early May of this year, we now have clunking noises as we walk around the RV while camped (jacks down, slides out, etc.) We've been to numerous campgrounds and the clunking noise always occurs. It's very much like a house that has settled and the floor joists creak as weight moves over the floor. However, these aren't creaks, they are clunks.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue after the upgrade and what they did to get the clunking to stop.

Thanks!
Jeremy

LiteEmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:03 AM   #2

Could be couple things. A slow leak in an air bag or air line. Or possibly a jack is leaking off slowly.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:22 AM   #3

Hello Jeremy. We had our upgrade performed in February and have not had any issues at all. I would bet that one or more of your jacks is leaking by a bit (the airbags get vented when you level the coach). I have heard of others that have had similar issues with their jacks (not just motorhomes but others with hydraulic jacks as well) when the seals or valves get a bit of dirt or debris in them causing a slow leak. If you are not seeing any fluid leakage anywhere onto the ground or other places, that is what I would bet you are witnessing. This can sometimes be more noticeable with temperature changes causing slight fluid viscosity changes. Might be a good idea to take it somewhere and have the leveling system checked out. -Glenn
Pacific Northwest
Subsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:26 AM   #4

I mentioned the airbag in case he was leveling manual. And his bags would be inflated ?

Russell
Old 07-26-2016, 09:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
I mentioned the airbag in case he was leveling manual. And his bags would be inflated ?

Russell
Good point Russell. -Glenn
Pacific Northwest
Subsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:33 AM   #6

I have always had a clunk sound from the frame I believe. It is better when parked on rubber mats but it still is there. I will hear it sometimes when laying in bed so it's not just moving around in the Moho that causes it. I believe it's a combination of the jacks settling and the frame popping. The rubber mats help a great deal by isolating the jack pads from the concern

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:38 AM   #7

Toppind up my hydraulic pump with fluid seem to stop mine. You must do this with the jacks up and the slides in.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:21 PM   #8

Dan I topped mine off and added MM oil. And it still does it. I had the manufacture look at it last year at the rally. He added the MM oil and said my sticker showing the full line was wrong. It should be almost full when everything is stowed.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:42 PM   #9

Yea Phil, I did not go by that paper sticker of the full line as it did not look right to me
I filled to the indented line in the plastic tank.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:44 PM   #10

Use some Marvel mystery oil in the hydraulic system. It stopped our creaking. We had it prior to the upgrade. The jacks were leaking down quite common.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
Use some Marvel mystery oil in the hydraulic system. It stopped our creaking. We had it prior to the upgrade. The jacks were leaking down quite common.
I've had what I call a chirping sound for years. It is definitely from the jacks. After planting the jacks a a new campsite, I some times get the get the chirps and the other times, not. My theory, the cause is the jack pads. There has been a lot of problems with pad punch-through. The chirps might be due to the sound of micro fractures in the jack pads. Probably after many micro-fractures, the pad punches through.

Perhaps those that have the heavier jack pads, could chime in as to whether they also get the chirps. Jeremy, this subject has been discussed many times on the forum, with no positive answer. I suppose that you have not had your Berkshire since 2011 because you should have noticed the chirps a long time ago.
Hank
Old 07-27-2016, 07:55 AM   #12

Sorry Accumack, I didn't mean to quote you.
Hank
Old 07-27-2016, 08:02 AM   #13

Mine was popping on our winter site in Florida. The coach is parked on what I call a sand surface. They call it dirt. Lol.

The pad seems to be quite solid. But after a couple weeks I can notice the jack pads have recessed into the sand a bit. So I put my wooden pads down and never had the popping any more.

So I think the popping can come from the jacks easing off just a bit or also the pads sinking into the ground a bit. Takes very little.

Russell
Old 07-27-2016, 10:10 AM   #14
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll do some troubleshooting concerning the jacks/hydraulics and pads. I haven't noticed any of the jacks leaking down, but we haven't camped at a single location for more than 4 days since May. However, I do know no oil is leaking out of the system (no oil on the ground or anywhere.)

We purchased our Berkshire new in 2011. I only notice what I consider the chirping noise when the jacks are extended really far - tires nearly off the ground - causing the MH to sway more with any movement. The clunks - a deep, low pitch, snap sound - started after we had the brakes/tires upgraded at FR and occur with the jacks at any height while camped. The timing of this issue and the upgrade could be coincidental.

If I find the problem, I'll post an update. Now off to tinker with some hydraulics!

-Jeremy

LiteEmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
Mine was popping on our winter site in Florida. The coach is parked on what I call a sand surface. They call it dirt. Lol.

The pad seems to be quite solid. But after a couple weeks I can notice the jack pads have recessed into the sand a bit. So I put my wooden pads down and never had the popping any more.

So I think the popping can come from the jacks easing off just a bit or also the pads sinking into the ground a bit. Takes very little.

Russell
Russell, you are confirming what I had just said that the noise is coming from the jack pads. When the pads sink in the soil, they may tilt, You might say, "Well, they are designed to swivel". Yes, but that puts a tremendous weight (psi) on one side of the pad where the ram contacts it. Hence, I am still going with my theory of micro fractures in the pad. Punch-through is no theory; many have reported on this forum of having it. Yes, the punch through when it happens is swift and with a bang. But there has to be something that leads up to the punch-through over a period of time where the pad's support for the ram gets weaker and weaker.

I highly suggest that jack pads be kept level and to use wooden supports underneath the pads.
Hank
Old 07-27-2016, 11:45 AM   #16

We are back on the rubber pads at our seasonal lot. I don't take them with use on trips. I haven't heard the sound since we are back. I almost forgot about it until we took off for a few weeks.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
We are back on the rubber pads at our seasonal lot. I don't take them with use on trips. I haven't heard the sound since we are back. I almost forgot about it until we took off for a few weeks.
Phil, after jacking the RV I either get or not get the chirps. Never have gotten the chirps with jacks up. Therefore whether you agree or not agree with my micro fracture theory, for sure the chirping has something to do with the jacks.
Hank
Old 07-27-2016, 12:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
Phil, after jacking the RV I either get or not get the chirps. Never have gotten the chirps with jacks up. Therefore whether you agree or not agree with my micro fracture theory, for sure the chirping has something to do with the jacks.

Hank

Hank I agree 100%. I have rubber pads for the tires and the Jack pads. The rubber isolates the pad from the concrete.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:33 PM   #19

I have the older style jack pads that are subject to punch-through. Have any of you with the newer heavier duty jack pads or replacement pads been experiencing the chirping or clicking?
Hank
Old 07-27-2016, 03:02 PM   #20

I had it until I did the Marvel Mystery oil (I have 3 of the new plates). It was the jacks creaking / settling it went away after a few cycles after adding the MM oil to the reservoir.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, noise, tire, upgrade