Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #21
Berkshire 390QS

Glad you got it started. Don't think you ever said if you where on the road or not or how long your unit was sitting? Might want to have the aux start checked out, that should have helped in starting.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #22

I am happy you got it started but I still don't understand why the batteries would go dead. If you are plugged in to shore power, the inverter should charge the house batteries and when they are fully charged, switch to charging the chassis batteries. I would call Magnum and see what they say. Maybe they can give you some ideas as to why this happened.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #23
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTN8 View Post
Not sure why the cables fried... They weren't the best set and they weren't heavy duty cables. I bought a battery charger yesterday and charged them back up and the coach started right up. Going to check the voltage in a little while to see if they held a charge or not. If they did, I'm assuming I left something on to drain them. If not then I'll be taking it to freight liner for some new batteries.
It's not hard to fry a set of jumper cables if they are not heavy enough gage wire to hold the current. They should be at least as heavy gage as the battery cables.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #24

Jason,
Any update on why the chassis batteries died even though you were plugged into shore power? Did you ever contact Magnum about the problem?
Tom

Old 11-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Jason, Any update on why the chassis batteries died even though you were plugged into shore power? Did you ever contact Magnum about the problem? Tom
Not a 100% sure why, but I did notice that my ext ent center radio runs off my chassis batteries not the house ones so I may have left it on and possibly drained them. I do not think the magnum charger/inv/conv charges the chassis batteries. Think it charges the house ones only.
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #26

Your aux start is for the exact situation you are in. Assuming your coach batteries were functioning normally you should have been able to start the engine with aux battery selected for start. I have had to use the aux start myself a couple times and it sure came in handy. Something seems not right with your interconnect.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Your aux start is for the exact situation you are in. Assuming your coach batteries were functioning normally you should have been able to start the engine with aux battery selected for start. I have had to use the aux start myself a couple times and it sure came in handy. Something seems not right with your interconnect.
Aux start would not work due to the chassis batteries being completely dead. Aux start light came on very very dim and gave me no power for starting. Now that the chassis batteries are full again, when I press the aux start the light comes on nice and bright and no issues. I turned the chassis batteries off and have been checking the voltage each day to see if they drop. Going
To check tonight when I get home
Old 11-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #28
10x

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
It's not hard to fry a set of jumper cables if they are not heavy enough gage wire to hold the current. They should be at least as heavy gage as the battery cables.
I 2nd that, I have heavy duty cables in all my vehicles.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #29

Does anyone use a battery minder on there chassis batteries full time when the coach is on shore power to keep the chassis batteries full?
Old 11-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #30

Do you know which magnum you have in your coach? Mine is a 2000 watt inverter/charger, and as far as I know, it charges the chassis batteries as well as the house batteries.

Also, is the battery disconnect switch in the chassis battery compartment set to the 'on' position?

Old 11-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Do you know which magnum you have in your coach? Mine is a 2000 watt inverter/charger, and as far as I know, it charges the chassis batteries as well as the house batteries. Also, is the battery disconnect switch in the chassis battery compartment set to the 'on' position?
I have the smaller inverter/charger (do not have the residential fridge). Everything I have read, states that the charger only charges the house batteries not the chassis. I have never turned the disconnect switch off. I did just the other day turn them off to see if they hold a charge.