Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #1

Coax and splitters - diagram anyone?

As I eagerly await warmer weather, we're researching the Tailgater and Winegard Carryout for Satellite tv options. I was looking through the overhead cabinet next to the tv to see how I'd hook the receiver up and that area is an unbelievable mess. Loose cables, unused cables, etc.

I'd like to know if anyone uses the Park Cable input to hook their external sat receiver into? I assume that cable runs into the overhead and connects to the Winegard amp-selector switch - although I'm not sure.

Also - while I can't seem to find it, there must be a coax splitter close to the cabinet for the cable run to the back tv and the outlet in the basement next to the entry door??? Again - I'm assuming that it's even a coax run to the rear tv, I guess it could be RCA from the switcher box in the cabinet.

By chance - does anyone have tv wiring diagram from FR? I've seen a few for other models - but not mine...

Any input and insight is always appreciated!

Be safe everyone.
sold 2008 Berkshire pusher
sold 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible toad
sold 2015 Nissan Frontier toad
JBoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Just an fyi my sat "in" cable goes directly to the winegard switch then straight to main tv .
It does not go to for and aft tv in my sabre.
The cable "in" coax only goes to main tv as well.
Only over the air coax goes for and aft.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
Owner/Operator

I'm trying to stay out of this one, but do want to state that in some of my previous rigs (without any sophisticated video switching box) the cable that went to the bedroom TV was attached to the rear of the winegard power supply that turned on the power to the antenna.

To get to that cable, the switch assembly had to be removed from the wall. That system was setup so that either the off-air signal from the antenna or the external cable input would be routed to both the coax connector on the Power Supply and the bedroom TV.

RodeoGeorge
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Every camper is wired differently.

A photo of your wall plate and outside cable connections will help identify the wiring system used in YOUR camper.

Here is mine and if yours is the same, the SAT on the outside goes directly to the AUX/SAT on the inside.

The outside "CABLE" goes to the middle input on the amp power/antenna switcher. The wall plate switches between CABLE (off) and ROOF Antenna (on).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1378.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	23126   Click image for larger version

Name:	CBL and SAT inputs.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	23127  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winegard Wall PLate Amp.pdf (143.1 KB, 166 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #5

Thanks - while my wall plate looks very similar to yours, my outside cable plate is different. I ONLY have the coax marked cable. I guess one of my questions would be since we never connect to campground cable, can I use it to hook up the portable sat dish? I'm pretty sure my cable feed goes to the rear of the Winegard plate and I could simply remove it to connect to the sat receiver. I checked - the coax is RG6 - which I think is good enough for satellite.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Yes, but you will need to modify your wall plate.

Here is the file that shows exactly how to do the modification.

The wall plate is slightly different (it is the model with a 12 volt outlet instead of a Satellite output but the amp power/switch is exactly the same.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf satellite_rewire.pdf (957.8 KB, 693 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #7

Thanks so much - I'll look at the doc you sent.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #8

I have the Winegard Carryout and plug the coaxial in at the connection in the power compartment.... I installed a double slide switch in the compartment up front so I can switch from sat to cable.... Works like a charm... Also I plug the 12volt inverter in at the power compartment....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #9

Thanks Ernest - I couldn't remember which system you told me you had gotten. Good to know.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #10
2011 Berkshire 390BH

I don't know if my experience will help you or not, but I was able to hook up my Dish receiver by doing the following: I finally got it to work, but not as easy as I first thought. I didn't want to climb up on top of the unit to expose the satellite connection, but wanted to use the input connection in the power bay. After several tests and hunting out connections in the TV cabinet, I finally found where the lead comes in from that bay. There are three coax cables that are attached to the back of the antenna boost plate. One is an out to the splitter to allow all of the TV connections to receive a signal from the onboard antenna. Another one is the signal in from the antenna that is being boosted. The third one (the lower black one on the left side) is the input from the bay. I ended up disconnecting this coax cable, hooking it to an A/B switch and reconnecting one output to the prior connection and the other to the satellite receiver. I then connected the receiver to the TV by using the three "stereo plugs" labeled AUX. I then chose Video input on the TV, and selected AUX on the Smart Box, and success. I can now easily switch from my portable satellite external dish to the antenna input by just choosing the input on the remote. The only thing I had to make a note about was if I happen to hook up to a cable TV input, I will need to move the A/B switch to the opposite side. After all this, it probably would have been easier to put a satellite dish on the roof, but a lot more expensive. Good for now. I have attached a picture of the back of the power boost switch. Hope this might help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2721032915.jpg
Views:	1098
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	23133

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #11

JBoyer....

This is exactly what I did and it's not as difficult as it might appear.... End result - it works....
Old 01-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa3pnt View Post
I'm trying to stay out of this one.....
RodeoGeorge
Me too, but I just can't. My 2011 Berkshire RB is supposedly "satellite prepped" but there's not a single thing on the roof to indicate where the wiring is located. Then there is the MESS in the compartment below the TV. I'm still trying to sort THAT out. Hopefully when I do find it (using a signal tracer I guess) the 12V power to supply the antenna will be there too (on the roof).

Then the COAX that feeds the bedroom television comes from God-knows-where. They ran a COMPOSITE cable from the compartment below the main TV back to the bedrooom TV. Guess what??

My bedroom television has no composite input jacks. It has (only) COMPONENT or HDMI inputs, but FR put no cables in the wall for those types of signals. What can FR be thinking?? COMPOSITE has been pretty much obsolete for almost 5 years.

They put this stupid box in the compartment with a plethora of buttons on it to manage all the possible distribution options. I have one of these $1000 ULTRA configurable universal remotes (Phillips Pronto and yes, that price is NOT a typo) so I'm not used to jumping up to change anything.

My Dish Network reciever (VIP722K) has a COAX output video signal from the second tuner to feed a second TV. But I can't figure out which COAX goes back to the bedroom TV; Sheesh!!!

Now don't get me wrong... I'm real happy wiith my Berky, but FR really dropped the ball on entertainment sysem wiring, IMHO. At the VERY least they could have supplied a "blueprint" with all the vehicle's paperwork as well as color coding EVERYTHING!!

Are we having fun yet?? 8-)

Boowho??

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #13
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Boowho,

If you remove the antenna booster plate, and look behind it (not easy to do unless your very flexible), you will see a tv cable splitter that is sending the tv signal to the bedroom TV and the outside TV connection by the front door. There are also other connections in there if I remember correctly. Also as I mentioned in a prior post somewhere, when they installed my roof dish, there were going to call the factory to find where the single wire was in the channel on the roof. Since I needed more than one wire to operate the dish, they just ran the wires along the top of the roof. I also believe that little box you mentioned also sends the DVD signal to the bedroom TV and the outside TV. Hope that helps.

Craig

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #14
DS ADV Rider

There is lots of useful information in this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...kup-26974.html

Bob
Suzuki DR350SE & Suzuki DR650SE
Specialized FSR XC Comp
DualSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchief View Post
Boowho,

If you remove the antenna booster plate, and look behind it (not easy to do unless your very flexible), you will see a tv cable splitter that is sending the tv signal to the bedroom TV and the outside TV connection by the front door. There are also other connections in there if I remember correctly. Also as I mentioned in a prior post somewhere, when they installed my roof dish, there were going to call the factory to find where the single wire was in the channel on the roof. Since I needed more than one wire to operate the dish, they just ran the wires along the top of the roof. I also believe that little box you mentioned also sends the DVD signal to the bedroom TV and the outside TV. Hope that helps.

Craig

OK, I've at least gotten the bedroom TV working. As your previously posted picture shows there are an orange, white and black wire behind the plate. The COAX behind the BR TV is orange.

Wouldn't ya think that if ANY of the three wires behind the plate went to the BR TV it would be the oranage one?? NOT!!!! It's the white one.

So the only thing I have left is getting my CarryOut mounted on the roof. I'd rather not do it the way you did; running the wires ON the roof. I don't have a dual or triple LNB antenna so don't need a second wire.

Anyhow, from my standpoint (at least) I'm ready to put this whole issue behind me. I firmly believe that manufacturers do this "stuff" on purpose 'cause they want to make it tough for the DIY'er. That way they "protect" their dealer's service depts.

For example, my car's (FORD) super-smart key has to be re-programmed (if ever needed) by a dealer at a cost of $60. It CAN be programmed by the user, but it aint easy. I suspect that most owners would just pay the $60.

boowho??
Old 01-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSport View Post
There is lots of useful information in this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...kup-26974.html

Bob
Yes there is, DS.... And thanks for posting it.

Boowho??
Old 01-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #17

One damn thing after another

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post

So the only thing I have left is getting my CarryOut mounted on the roof. I'd rather not do it the way you did; running the wires ON the roof. I don't have a dual or triple LNB antenna so don't need a second wire.

boowho??
Well, I was wrong SuperChief.... I may have to do exactly what you did; put the cables on the roof.

I was just told by Winegard Tech that even though Dish Nework installers do it all the time on home installs, with the carryout you cannot run the signal from the carryout to the receiver thru a SINGLE cable.

I must have TWO coax's between the antenna and the receiver. This is EXTREMELY disappointing to me, since Dish is able to do it with no problems. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it SUX!!

Boowho??
Old 01-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #18

To mount the satellite on the roof FR diagram is very hard to read. The location is in the center of the mh approx. 18" from the edge. I brought a used dish that I am having installed in the spring and the diagram is in the mh. I called FR and they faxed my information. I hope to be checking on the mh in a week or 2 and I will get Andy's phone number and the diagram.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #19

Whaaaat???? Two coaxials??? Why??? I have been using my Carryout with Dish for well over 18 months with only ONE cable and it has worked perfectly.... BUT - I don't want a permanent mount on the roof... That totally defeats the best feature - portability... Having the ability to park MH under a great shade tree in the middle of Summer and STILL be able to position my carryout out from under that same tree so I can get a clear signal is the main reason I went with the carry out.

I had a Kingdome permanently mounted on my previous MH and hated the signal issues I had when camping in many spots we liked.... Couldn't park in some spots due to overhead limbs blocking sat signal.... NOW don't have that problem and have the freedom to stay most anywhere...
Old 01-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbt803 View Post
To mount the satellite on the roof FR diagram is very hard to read. The location is in the center of the mh approx. 18" from the edge. I brought a used dish that I am having installed in the spring and the diagram is in the mh. I called FR and they faxed my information. I hope to be checking on the mh in a week or 2 and I will get Andy's phone number and the diagram.
I will look forward to seeing what you may have

Boowho