Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
Family Man with an RV

Send a message via Skype™ to doctormdj
Cockpit toys, organization and upgrades

So I got to thinking..... How can I get rid of cords, organize my cockpit and be more efficient in the cockpit. So I made a few upgrades.... 1) add the best RV GPS to the most obvious spot. Easy to use and see. However, I wanted to hide the plug so I added a hole in the metal panel next to the 12 volt connector with a grommet from a stove and put a 12 volt under the dash.... Now the wire to the GPS is hidden. 2) add a spot for my cell phone and hide that wire in the same way. The iOttie mount works great. Another grommet in the dash leading to a 12 volt With USB connection under the dash. Clean and simple. Next. 3) Add the 507 tire pressure monitoring system in a spot I can see and add the same thought to hide the wires. Works great and all easy to see. I also found a very cool solution to add a Bluetooth system to my VR187 system into the Aux. now my iPad can stream music while driving. All of the standard 12 volt plugs are available for other things if needed and I see no wires anywhere. Finally, bought a great notice canceling headset for Bluetooth phone calls while on the road. Very cool. Anyone need more pics or help to do the same say the word. Happy to help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-769804203.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	30843  
doctormdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #2

Nice and neat. I will do the same.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #3

Pretty cool.... Now that you know how, will you do mine - please.....

Are those keys down and to the left???
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
Family Man with an RV

LOL. Happy to! Bring it out to Southern California and we'll have a cockpit organization party. LOL. We added two 12 volt sockets in the dask in the back left and then the bluetooth unit and DP2500 Sirius box next to it. Nice and neat on the inside and functional on the outside.

Yep.... Seems that we use the Fuel Key, Basement Key and the Generator Key at separate times and as needed. So we have each key labeled for easy access when it is needed. That way... If you are diving.. pull into the fuel stop and need to leave the rig on... you do not need to swap around keys. Additionally, when you pull into a camp site.... you do not need to lug around all the keys with you. Just what you need and the family has access to what they need when they need it.

For the Bluetooth we bought this and connected it to the Aux on the VR187 with an RCA / 3.5m splitter. Keep it charged via USB to one of the 12 volt plus we put in. Amazon.com: GOgroove BlueGate Bluetooth Adapter Wireless Receiver with A2DP Technology for Home Stereo , Portable Speakers , Headphones , Car Music Sound Systems , & More 3.5mm Media Devices: MP3 Players & Accessories

For the Phone.... This Amazon.com: iOttie Easy Flex Windshield Dashboard Car Mount Holder Cradle for iPhone 5 4S 4 3GS iPod Touch Samsung Galaxy S4 S3 S2 Nokia Lumia 920 HTC OneX EVO 4G Rhyme DROID RAZR MAXX Google Nexus LG Optimus G BlackBerry Z10 Torch Compact Size GPS: or this Amazon.com: iOttie Easy Flex2 Windshield Dashboard Car Mount Holder Cradle Desk Mount for iPhone 5 4S 4 3GS iPod Touch Samsung Galaxy S4 S3 S2 Nokia Lumia 920 HTC OneX EVO 4G Rhyme DROID RAZR MAXX Google Nexus LG Optimus G BlackBerry Z10 Torch Compac will do the job. If you have an iPhone5 as i do.. I also suggest getting a black cable from amazon Amazon.com: AmazonBasics USB A to Lightning Compatible Cable (3 Feet/0.9 Meter): MP3 Players & Accessories Nothing is worse than a bright white cable on a clean console. Then pop this Amazon.com: Griffin Powerjolt Dual Universal USB Micro Colors May Vary: MP3 Players & Accessories into the 1st newly installed 12 volt and you have USB power for the bluetooth and the iPhone5.

Finally, I went with the TST 507RV with Flowthrough at TST 507RV 6 Tire Pressure and Temperature Monitoring System and mounted it with a direct connection. Works great. My R&D says that this is one of the best for the money. Easy to install and seems to work great.

I'll upload some internal pics of the set up a a little later. Also... just put the final touches on a WHOLE new Sound system and TV set up that allows me to get HDMI quality in Motion TV on 2 extra TV sets (One we have installed in the basement for outside and the other we installed in the Kitchen for in motion driving for the kids) throughout the coach for little costs. I'll do a new thread on that one.

Yes.... I think I'm on a mission. LOL
Old 05-19-2013, 04:17 PM   #5

Doc....

I do like the way you "rough" it... I'm not electrically gifted... I did put a ref/freezer in my basement... Works great for those extended trips....
Old 05-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormdj View Post
So I got to thinking..... How can I get rid of cords, organize my cockpit and be more efficient in the cockpit. So I made a few upgrades....
Looks good.... Like you I hate exposed wiring.

I'm going to upgrade my in dash Jensen to one including a GPS. For the time being I have Google Maps running on a 7 inch android tablet. Tablet is supported by one of those Grip-GO thingies they sell "as seen on TV".

BTW, I bought two of those "as seen on TV" flexible hoses as well and love them. They should make all hoses like that!!

TPM I don't have yet either; I want one that does 6 on the rig and 4 on the toad. I figure the toad is more important since if a toad tire blows, it could be extremely dangerous. I can foresee a situation where the blown tire catches fire, spreads to the entire vehicle and pretty soon you're towing a 2800 lb flaming bomb down the road at 70 MPH!!

For the phone I just keep it near by and either bluetooth into the Jensen or use one of the "hearing aid" type of bluetooth headsets. With one button answer and voice command output calling, it seems to work pretty well.

I keep all the tunes on a USB stick and just plug it into the Jensen.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #7

Boo...

Question: the hose you have - is it the one that grows when the water is turned on and shrinks when turned off???

I looked at one of those but this particular brand cautioned against drinking water from it... That gave me some concerns.... I'd love to find one that would handle the water pressure and be able to hook it up for my drinking water....
Old 05-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Boo...

Question: the hose you have - is it the one that grows when the water is turned on and shrinks when turned off???

I looked at one of those but this particular brand cautioned against drinking water from it... That gave me some concerns.... I'd love to find one that would handle the water pressure and be able to hook it up for my drinking water....
Ernest917:

Yep, that's the one..... And you're right.... no drinking water through it. Also, not to be left on under pressure for extended periods (when not in use) and not to be left laying around in the sun.

I know that may sound really limiting, but they handle so well compared to a regular hose I refuse to use a regular hose anymore (except of course for freshwater into the coach).

Absolutely will not kink and weighs almost nothing, 100 foot will fit in a 1 gallon bucket. For washing the car, etc there is nothing better. (IMHO, of course. YMMV.)

Boowho??
Old 05-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #9
Family Man with an RV

I think this is what you are talking about... Flexable Hose – The Incredible Expanding Green Hose – As Seen on TV. I found this one that says it is ok to drink water from... Rubber Hose, Sheet Rubber, Rubber and Plastic Tubing - Ace Hose & Rubber Company - Shop Online but it looks pretty pricey!!! :-(
Old 05-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #10

Whoa..... $500.00+ bucks for a hose.... I've got to be REAL thirsty for that one....
Old 05-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post

Looks good.... Like you I hate exposed wiring.

I'm going to upgrade my in dash Jensen to one including a GPS. For the time being I have Google Maps running on a 7 inch android tablet. Tablet is supported by one of those Grip-GO thingies they sell "as seen on TV".

BTW, I bought two of those "as seen on TV" flexible hoses as well and love them. They should make all hoses like that!!

TPM I don't have yet either; I want one that does 6 on the rig and 4 on the toad. I figure the toad is more important since if a toad tire blows, it could be extremely dangerous. I can foresee a situation where the blown tire catches fire, spreads to the entire vehicle and pretty soon you're towing a 2800 lb flaming bomb down the road at 70 MPH!!

For the phone I just keep it near by and either bluetooth into the Jensen or use one of the "hearing aid" type of bluetooth headsets. With one button answer and voice command output calling, it seems to work pretty well.

I keep all the tunes on a USB stick and just plug it into the Jensen.

Boowho??
How do you Bluetooth your phone into the Jensen? I wasnt aware that this stereo supported Bluetooth like our car does but it has been of great interest to me since the phone is even more dangerous as a handheld while driving the coach vs in a car. If there is a solution to it working right thru the Jensen I'd love to know.
mjracsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #12
Family Man with an RV

mjracsj,

Unfortunately Jensen doesn't actually support Bluetooth as far as I know. they do support Sirius XM with a DLP2500. and has an aux input only. Kind of an old system tech wise but that's all we have to play with for now. I just found a work around that seems to really do the trick. First of all, the device I posted earlier in this thread works great if you want to Bluetooth device into the RV. For example, let's say you want to play music from your iPad or give the kids your iPad and let them play the music or the movie through the speakers in the coach. That device does the trick flawlessly. However, when it comes to talking on the phone you really need to use a headset. I found through experimentation that connecting Bluetooth to listen to music as well as talking on the phone just creates to meet challenges. Therefore, I elected to add Bluetooth as an auxiliary sound source and get a separate headset.

I was traveling through a truck stop one day a couple weeks ago and found this amazing noise canceling headset. I bought it for about $100 and connected it to my iPhone. Now every time I get in the coach I simply put the headset on and I'm in business to do voice texting, talking on the phone or anything else I would normally do in my BMW.

I can look up the model and name details of my headset for you if you want.... but that is the scoop for bluetooth!
Old 05-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #13
Family Man with an RV

Here it is..... Amazon.com: Roadking RK400 Bluetooth Wireless Noise Cancelling Headset: Cell Phones & Accessories Cheaper on Amazon. Does the trick for me and sounds as good as if you were in your sedan.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Whoa..... $500.00+ bucks for a hose.... I've got to be REAL thirsty for that one....

After my prev post about the flexible hoses, I went to Walmart web site and read the reviews. They are AWFUL. Most reviewers on Walmart HATED theirs.
Hopefully, I just got a couple of good ones, but I've had no problems yet.

According to their latest commercial they are guaranteed for 10 years. 'Course, if there's no way to contact the company, then the guarantee is worthless isn't it??

Boowho??
Old 05-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #15
Family Man with an RV

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
According to their latest commercial they are guaranteed for 10 years. 'Course, if there's no way to contact the company, then the guarantee is worthless isn't it??
Thanks Boowho. I'm gonna pull the trigger anyway... Just love the idea of having a lightwight hose in the rig to flush my tanks with vs carrying the bog old green one in a tub.... Arghhhhhhhhh Thanks for the tip!
Old 05-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjracsj View Post
How do you Bluetooth your phone into the Jensen? I wasnt aware that this stereo supported Bluetooth like our car does but it has been of great interest to me since the phone is even more dangerous as a handheld while driving the coach vs in a car. If there is a solution to it working right thru the Jensen I'd love to know.
My bad..... You are exactly right.... I use the single earpiece BT instead.

Just having a senior moment, or maybe because I have so much electronic "stuff" around here I can't keep track of what piece has what capability!!

'Course, my equipment can be MUCH simpler since I have no youngsters riding along with me. Having the newest and best is optional for me since I have no "advisers" (impartial of course) to help me along with such decisions.

Oh, and I stop for breaks, lunch, attractions, etc, when and where me and the DW decide we want to stop!! Ah..... The silence is deafening!!

Boowho??
Old 05-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormdj View Post
Thanks Boowho. I'm gonna pull the trigger anyway... Just love the idea of having a lightwight hose in the rig to flush my tanks with vs carrying the bog old green one in a tub.... Arghhhhhhhhh Thanks for the tip!
I've got a 50' I use for the black tank flush and washing the camper when we're out and (2) 100' for home and TOWTA just loves them for watering plants, etc. They work just great.