Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2015, 11:24 AM   #1
'11 390BH

Color camera conversion- was it worth it?

Hi all, the last 400 miles of a 2,000 mile roadtrip after picking up my Berk saw the failing of my B&W rear view camera signal. I pulled it out today to find that corrosion had formed inside of the watertight plug and corroded the pins to near nothing.

I'm at a crossroads wondering if I just buy cheap extension cable for a pair of clean ends to solder on and replace the corroded plugs and stay B&W
OR
Go to a new Color camera on the rear, or maybe the sides as well (whose plugs held no corrosion).

Also, since we have tilt controls in the screen has anyone used one of the tilt cameras? I had checked prices on going color pre purchase (I'm still disappointing that after 2010 mfg's were installing B&W) but the price was shocking, about $850 from RV cams.
So who's done the upgrade or traded up model years from B&W to color and what was your opinion of using them?
kohersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:06 PM   #2
'11 390BH

Upon further investigation it looks like tilt is not an option based on the extension cable already in place, definitely not necessary anyhow. So...anyone??
Old 08-31-2015, 03:22 PM   #3

If it was me I would not spend the extra money to go color. I would just get a replacement B&W Camara.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:42 PM   #4

For color, you need more then a color camera; you need a color monitor and probably more wires such as RGB as opposed to a single monochrome wires.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:43 PM   #5

Had an '08 with B&W camera and now my '14 has color cameras. If you use your cameras frequently, then you will see a big difference with color camera. Much greater detail and resolution with color.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:10 PM   #6

On my 2011 I have a color display but BW Camara. I looked at replacing the Camara but was to much money.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:18 PM   #7
'11 390BH

Thats where I'm at Phil. color monitor, B&W cams. choking on the price, i have over 50 cameras I manage at work, none of them are as expensive as these. GULP!
I do run with the backup camera on nearly all the time and I do use the sides as well.
Resolution to me means safety...btw I popped on the Al wheels. but thats a write up for another day
Old 08-31-2015, 04:43 PM   #8

Sweet. I'll look forward to the write up.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:32 PM   #9

Hi
I upgraded my camera from a B/W to color. It was a direct replacement where the plugs were compatanle. I bought the ASA Camera from Camping World. It cost $200 for the camera and was worth every penny. I like Phil had a B/w camera and a color Jensen monitor. I left the side cameras as B/W since I very rarely look at them while driving.

I have differculty with seeing shades of gray in a B/W camera but the color camera makes a world of difference.

If you need additional info let me know and I can get you the camera model numbers.

Marty

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:44 PM   #10
'11 390BH

That was on my mind about going color in the rear since its used the most. Might be a good way to do it!
I'll check the camping world site. does it have a mic as well?
Old 08-31-2015, 06:28 PM   #11

Marty what's the model number?

Old 08-31-2015, 06:40 PM   #12

Phil
The camera is a Voyager model # VCMS10B from ASA Electronics and yes it does have a microphone built in. Bought it from Camping World on line last December.

Really like the color aspect vs. B/W.
Marty.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:51 PM   #13

Hey kohersh; did you see my reply to you (#4)? Do you have or will you install a color display? Are you going to run more wires between the display and camera? I am only trying to enlighten you that there is more then just the camera. Maybe you know that, but you did not say.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:15 PM   #14
'11 390BH

Sorry Hank.
I do have the color display already, the Jensen 209TP and I wont be running new wires.
I think at this point I will probably just get a new extension cord to hack up and solder on, I'll have to do it on the female side anyhow since this one has given up the ghost.
Cheapest route, I'll live with the B&W for a while longer and see if it irritates me long term, I doubt it will.
-Hans
Old 08-31-2015, 09:22 PM   #15

I undated my backup to color and my buddies side cameras to color. $35 each. Watch the Jensen/ASA web site. After the first of the year they sell demo cameras cheep and they work like new.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:16 PM   #16

I found a complete kit for a backup camera at Walmart. It was under $50.00.
Color and night camera.
gbecker2 is offline   Reply With Quote