Old 08-18-2015, 08:47 AM   #1

Conflicting Chassis Data on Stickers

Hello all. This past week, I noticed that the data on the Freightliner "Incomplete" Chassis sticker ( drivers side upper cabinet) did not match the Forest River weight sticker. I have an 08 360QS, with the Mercedes engine and the Allison 3000 transmission. The Freightliner sticker says rear axle is 19k - the Forest River sticker says rear axle 17.5K. I don't recall a difference on the front, but there may have been. I just got new tires and was going to weigh again this weekend - am I good to assume the Forest River sticker is "generic" to the 360 and that the Frieghtliner info is what I should use?

sold 2008 Berkshire pusher
sold 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible toad
sold 2015 Nissan Frontier toad
JBoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoyer View Post
Hello all. This past week, I noticed that the data on the Freightliner "Incomplete" Chassis sticker ( drivers side upper cabinet) did not match the Forest River weight sticker. I have an 08 360QS, with the Mercedes engine and the Allison 3000 transmission. The Freightliner sticker says rear axle is 19k - the Forest River sticker says rear axle 17.5K. I don't recall a difference on the front, but there may have been. I just got new tires and was going to weigh again this weekend - am I good to assume the Forest River sticker is "generic" to the 360 and that the Frieghtliner info is what I should use?
I *think* that FR may purposely under rate the rear axle so they can advertise a higher value on the COMBINATION weight (including toad) limit. If they upped the R/A limit by say, 1500 lbs, and you actually went up to that limit, then your toad weight would be reduced by 1500 lbs.

If you didn't actually put that extra weight on the R/A, then you'd have no problem with the toad. Again, I *think* it's more of a "playing with numbers" game (for advertising purposed).

I know (from personal experience) that the little yellow sticker on the front door, MAY be grossly exaggerated. Mine was by about 1500 lbs; that's carrying capacity that I paid for, but didn't get.

Boowho??

boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:44 AM   #3

Thanks Boohoo -
I've slept since attending Freighliners training session some years ago so I've become confused again on the topic.

The GVWR I understand as front and rear weights and the total of occupants, cargo, fuel, water, etc, but NOT the toad. I thought the toad actually was part of the GCWR (gross combined weight rating) which the sticker is blank on - but FR (at time of purchase) indicated 39K for my setup. I thought this was how Freightliner explained it also - but again, it's been some years now...

Also - yellow sticker, I've seen them on posts I've reviewed but there is not one in my coach. I have very similar data on a couple of other stickers, but no yellow sticker.

I'm just trying to get clear on the subject again after purchasing new tires, I want to get "new" actual weights so I can adjust air appropriately.

THANKS a ton!
Old 08-18-2015, 11:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoyer View Post
Thanks Boohoo -
I've slept since attending Freighliners training session some years ago so I've become confused again on the topic.

The GVWR I understand as front and rear weights and the total of occupants, cargo, fuel, water, etc, but NOT the toad. I thought the toad actually was part of the GCWR (gross combined weight rating) which the sticker is blank on - but FR (at time of purchase) indicated 39K for my setup. I thought this was how Freightliner explained it also - but again, it's been some years now...

Also - yellow sticker, I've seen them on posts I've reviewed but there is not one in my coach. I have very similar data on a couple of other stickers, but no yellow sticker.

I'm just trying to get clear on the subject again after purchasing new tires, I want to get "new" actual weights so I can adjust air appropriately.

THANKS a ton!
Don't know what coach you have; mines a 340 HP with 2500 tranny so my combined limit is 33K lbs. You must have a 360 HP?

Try to get separate weights on all FOUR wheels; scales at truck stops are OK, but four wheel is better. If you're a member of Escapees they have several 4 point scales at various locations around the country.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:20 PM   #5
Just Dreamin

JBoyer, I have the same coach and engine/tranny combination and the weights for the axles are 10,400 front and 19,000 rear. The GVWR with the mercedes is 29,400 and the GCWR is 39,400. The difference in weights is the engine/tranny. The Cummins engine is 6.7L (330 or 340 hp and 700 lb ft) with a 2500 Allison transmission and the Mercedes is 7.2L (330 hp and 1000 lb ft) with a 3000 Allison transmission. I have seen the same setup (mercedes) in other makes and the GVWR was 32,000 lbs. I guess FR wants to under rate their coaches and who knows what the reasons are. Roy.
dreamin533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamin533 View Post
JBoyer, I have the same coach and engine/tranny combination and the weights for the axles are 10,400 front and 19,000 rear. The GVWR with the mercedes is 29,400 and the GCWR is 39,400. The difference in weights is the engine/tranny. The Cummins engine is 6.7L (330 or 340 hp and 700 lb ft) with a 2500 Allison transmission and the Mercedes is 7.2L (330 hp and 1000 lb ft) with a 3000 Allison transmission. I have seen the same setup (mercedes) in other makes and the GVWR was 32,000 lbs. I guess FR wants to under rate their coaches and who knows what the reasons are. Roy.

The ISB Cummins the FR uses are 340 with a 2500 Allison and a 360 with a 3000 Allison Trans. The torque for the 340 is 660# and I believe the 360 is 800 but someone will correct that.
I don't know much about the Mercedes motor.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:10 PM   #7

Thanks Dreamin,
You verified what I thought to be true and the notes I wrote when purchasing. Quick question - are the stickers inside your drivers overhead cabinet correct tot he higher weight or do you think FR used a "generic" chassis sticker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamin533 View Post
Old 08-18-2015, 04:13 PM   #8

Thanks Boohoo -

I've weighed twice since purchasing but have never been able to get individual wheel weights. Am off in search of a place to do just that this weekend.

The Mercedes option with the 3000 tranny changed several factors and was poorly documented in the manuals I have.

I appreciate how everyone on this forum is quick to help - what a group!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Don't know what coach you have; mines a 340 HP with 2500 tranny so my combined limit is 33K lbs. You must have a 360 HP?

Try to get separate weights on all FOUR wheels; scales at truck stops are OK, but four wheel is better. If you're a member of Escapees they have several 4 point scales at various locations around the country.

Boowho??
Old 08-18-2015, 08:49 PM   #9
Just Dreamin

JBoyer, my stickers are the same as yours with the lower weights for the Cummings engine. I downloaded the specs for the Berkshire with the Mercedes engine. Hope all this helps.
dreamin533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:52 PM   #10

Thanks Dreamin

That does help validate things and sets my mind back at ease.

Safe travels.